Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

helloharv

Article in my local paper - Who is better O's or Phil's

10 posts in this topic

Feb 3, 2007 — Jeff Lau finally reached his breaking point this week.

He knows his team isn't great.

No need to rub it in. The Baltimore Orioles have experienced better days.

But Lau's had enough. An O's fan in York can only take so much flak from Phillies fans.

The O's will be better than those stinking Phillies this year - and Lau's willing to bet $250 on it.

"The Phillies have not won a World Series since 1980 (O's in 1983), or a division title since 1993 (O's in 1997)," Lau wrote.

"The only reason the Phillies were in the hunt last year was the National League was filled with .500 clubs."

Don't think he's right?

Lau's willing to make a deal.

He's willing to bet $250 that the O's will finish with a better winning percentage than the Phillies. The loser pays $250 to the winner's favorite charity, and the loser wears the winner's hat to work for a week.

Lau wouldn't normally do this. He has nothing against the Phillies - most of the time.

He's a lifelong O's fan. He knows a few Phillies fans - even talks to a few of them.

But he's an O's man.

He grew up listening to the great O's teams of the '60s and '70s.

Back in the radio days of his youth, he believed Brooks Robinson and Frank Robinson were brothers. The first time he went to Memorial Stadium, he was shocked to find out Frank and Brooks looked nothing alike.

He founded the Baltimore Orioles Fan Club last season.

And he was content, for the most part.

Until ... this winter.

A shuffling of radio affiliates has left the Phillies without a radio presence in York, Lancaster or Harrisburg.

The O's survived.

They found a home at WOYK-AM 1350, and in the process booted the Phils off local airwaves.

The fallout wasn't pretty.

People calling the station. People sounding off in the newspaper. And the O's caught the brunt of it.

It all centered around one thought. WOYK booted a contending team off the air, for the O's?

And let's be honest, the O's have never been worse. Sure they've had terrible one-year spells - everybody remembers the clown-car entrance that was 1988. But in their first 40 years (1954-93), the O's never went more than six seasons without posting a winning record.

Baltimore always returned to the top - until now.

The O's have not had a winning season since 1997. Their nine consecutive losing seasons (1998-2006) is the longest losing skid in franchise history.

Even the formation of the team saw faster movement to the win column. The Birds went from 100-game losers to winners in six seasons.

The O's aren't winning these days.

But Lau reached his breaking point.

He's put up with the Yankees for years, but when the fans of a franchise with the most losses in professional sports history start putting you down - it's time to speak up.

The gloves come off.

"During the last 11 years," Lau said, "I'll bet you both teams had records of futility."

The Phillies have had a better winning percentage than the O's for six straight years. But before the Phils' recent revival, the O's posted better winning percentages than the Phils for seven straight years.

Lau wants all you Phillies fans to listen up.

Think the Phils have a better team than the O's, give him a call (717-764-4772) and make the bet. The only catch is if both teams tank and fail to post winning records, both bettors pay $250 to the charity of the other's choosing.

And, oh yeah, Lau is willing to make just one bet.

The first caller to reach him, gets the bet. Everybody else will have to wait until next year.

Lau might be fanatical about the O's.

"But I'm not nuts," he said. Jim Seip is a reporter for the Daily Record/Sunday News. Reach him at 771-2025 or jseip@ydr.com.

I feel pretty good about the Orioles '07 season. Not gonna bet on it, but I feel pretty good about it.

TM

IF -- Orioles have the edge at C, SS, and 3B.

OF -- Phillies probably have a slight edge in LF, CF is a push, and Orioles have the edge in RF.

Bench -- edge to the Phillies.

SP -- Orioles have more potential, but at this point I see it as a push.

BP -- on paper it is the Orioles, but 'on paper' doesn't win games.

Manager -- another push.

Division -- Phillies have the edge.

Overall -- it is a push.

I think the Phillies will finish 2nd in the NL East and be the wildcard team.

I think it's possible for the Orioles to do that well, but I think the Phillies have a much better opportunity to accomplish it, seeing as DC has committed to drafting Justin Smoak 1st overall in 2008 and the Marlins will likely realize they aren't nearly as good as they were in 2006....and the NL is weak in general.

But I have some problem with this...

...And let's be honest, the O's have never been worse.
...uhhh, yes they have. This may be part of the worst period in Orioles history, but Thrift's debacles in 2001 and 2002 were way, way worse.

The Orioles haven't done enough to give themselves a good shot at the playoffs, but there is more opportunity now (since 8% is more than 2% which was more than 0%) than there was at the turn of this century.

Advantage Phillies in 2007, but that's as much to do with the Division and League as anything

(note: this is NOT a whine about the Orioles in the AL East, it is what it is. Play ball.)

Go O's.

The Phils are the better team right now.

Better staff, better 1B and 2B.

The only positions the O's top are RF,C and SS.

And as dude said the Phils play in a better division for them to compete. I think they will make the playoffs this year.

I feel pretty good about the Orioles '07 season. Not gonna bet on it, but I feel pretty good about it.

TM

It’s hypothetical but I would bet if the O’s were in the NL East they would have a better record than Philly.

now there's a major surprise!

~DP~

It’s hypothetical but I would bet if the O’s were in the NL East they would have a better record than Philly.

I agree. The Phillies don't have to play the Yankees and Red Sox like the O's do.

TM

I don't know enough about the Phillies to speculate on how good or bad they'll be. I do believe the Orioles will likely struggle to get to .500.

Really, I don't care how they finish in regards to the Phillies, I'm more concerned with the Red Sox, Yankees, Blue Jays, and Devil Rays.

Hope he wins his bet.