Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

stargazer

Why do M&M's melt now?

21 posts in this topic

Remember their slogan "M&M's melt in your mouth, not in your hand?"

I've got pink, purple and yellow Easter colors in my palm.

What's different about the coating now?

Did they discover that it was toxic or something?

:confused:

I am not sure. :confused:

I've noticed that if I put them in the freezer the colors bleed on my hands faster than if the candy was at room temperature.

Maybe it's a secret plot by the government to single out the chocalohics. :D

Most chocolate is supposedly manufactured such that the melting point is basically at body temperature. The coca butter used to make the chocolate candy apparently is the biggest factor. Adjusting the coca butter recipe to use other (likely less expensive) oils could affect the melting point. Typically, the hands are colder than the mouth, so the chocolate is colder than it's melting point until in the mouth. In the mouth, the candy shell will dissolve from moisture, and the chocolate will melt from temperature. Premature melting in the hands might indicate atypically warm and/or moist hands. I suspect the moisture on the hands is what causes the color of the candy shell to stain the hands. I suspect putting them in the freezer mildly affects the chemical structures of the ingredients, and hence it's properties.

No, I'm not a Choco-tologist, but last night I did stay in a Holiday .... er ... actually - I picked up what little Choco-Tech I do know from visits to Hershey park's tour and several shows on the History channel and the fod channel.

I remember when M & M's were introduced -- "Melts in your mouth, not in your hand!"

Is nothing sacred? Did they not do hand testing correctly at that time... or has there been some alteration to the very molecular structure of this sublime confection, comprising its melting properties? Or is it plain (no pun intended) old cost cutting?

And I was such a fan of the strange, secretive candy company that is owned by the Mars family and headquartered in McLean, VA.

Who has enough will power to hold them in their hands to see if they'll melt?

Usually I'll eat one at a time, but sometimes I'll just pour them from the bag straight into my mouth.

Who has enough will power to hold them in their hands to see if they'll melt?

Usually I'll eat one at a time, but sometimes I'll just pour them from the bag straight into my mouth.

So that's what a fun bag is!

I checked out their website and looked at a couple of other sites and no where could I find anything about the "melts in your mouth, not in your hand" campaign.

There is the story of how they discovered that chocolate held up well for soldiers in the field, if they coated it in the shell.

But, I remember being able to hold a handful of the candy when I was a kid, and the color not coming off all over my hand. Now, I can't even walk from one room to the other without getting rainbow hand...and I don't think my hands are particularly hot. lol!

It seems like they've changed something about the coating. They do mention removing the red ones during the infamous red dye #2 scare.

I think it's a cover-up. B)

It's a handy CSI tool for the office. There are some people that always eat the candy but don't replenish the supply. Now it's possible to catch them red, blue, yellow, green, orange, pink and purple handed.

I emailed the folks at the company that make(markets) M&Ms. (of course they don't make them, they probably ARE made in China)

It's MARS, but when you go to the web site for some reason you cannot get to a place to 'contact' them, so I just emailed to every link that did work. Someone will answer I hope, if not I will call them tomorrow and demand an answer!

Remember their slogan "M&M's melt in your mouth, not in your hand?"

I've got pink, purple and yellow Easter colors in my palm.

What's different about the coating now?

Did they discover that it was toxic or something?

:confused:

If they are melting they are staying too long in the hand. they should be immediately placed in the mouth. :D