Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

A most nasty presidential campaign.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic

#1 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:46 AM

Oh, I don't mean now, I mean in 1800:

Nasty political mud-slinging. Campaign attacks and counterattacks. Personal insults. Outrageous newspaper invective. Dire predictions of warfare and national collapse. Innovative new forms of politicking capitalizing on a growing technology. As much as this seems to describe our pending presidential contest, it actually describes an election more than two hundred years past.

The presidential election of 1800 was an angry, dirty, crisis-ridden contest that seemed to threaten the nation's very survival. A bitter partisan battle between Federalist John Adams and Republican Thomas Jefferson, it produced a tie between Jefferson and his Republican running mate, Aaron Burr; a deadlock in the House where the tie had to be broken; an outburst of intrigue and suspicion as Federalists struggled to determine a course of action; Jefferson's election; and Burr's eventual downfall. The unfolding of this crisis tested the new nation's durability. The deadlock in the House revealed a constitutional defect. It also pushed partisan rivalry to an extreme, inspiring a host of creative and far-reaching electoral ploys. As a sense of crisis built, there was even talk of disunion and civil war, and indeed, two states began to organize their militias to seize the government if Jefferson did not prevail.

http://www.historyno...historian4.html
"You cannot have a strong middle class without a strong labor movement."

President Barack Obama

#2 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:55 AM

Campaign Killers: Why Do Negative Ads Work?

Aired November 28, 2007 - 23:00 ET

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: If Thomas Jefferson is elected president, murder, robbery, rape and incest will be openly taught and practiced.

BROWN: These words were taken from campaign handouts used against Thomas Jefferson in the 1800 presidential race. The dramatization is used by Mark McKinnon, formerly President Bush's media adviser, in a class he teaches on the history of ads.

(on camera): And that was the actual language, rape, robbery, murder, incest.

MARK MCKINNON, FMR. BUSH MEDIA ADVISER: That's right. That's right from the actual pamphlets that they produced back then and distributed, and pretty brutal stuff.

BROWN: It was nasty in the good old days. MCKINNON: Nasty, nasty, nasty. Yes, really tough.

BROWN: Of course, Jefferson fought back and won.

http://transcripts.c...1/28/se.02.html

President Barack Obama

#3 Marshan Man

Marshan Man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26,603 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 11:58 AM

Where;s that quote somebody posted the otehr day where John Adams I think, was called a "hermaphroditic creature". LOL. That's hilarious, but hard to imagine.

Could you imagine, instead of Hillary being called a monster, she was called a hermaphroditic creature?? LMAO!!

#4 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,793 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:07 PM

As I've said before, candidates go negative because it works. If it didn't work, they wouldn't do it. Everybody says they hate it, but they continually reward it. Any politician who doesn't have the stomach for it, might as well quit before they waste too many people's money!
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#5 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 12:10 PM

The old Latin phrase goes something like "throw as mud against the wall as you can and some will surely stick"..

President Barack Obama

#6 luthersomd

luthersomd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,439 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:03 PM

Where;s that quote somebody posted the otehr day where John Adams I think, was called a "hermaphroditic creature". LOL. That's hilarious, but hard to imagine.

Could you imagine, instead of Hillary being called a monster, she was called a hermaphroditic creature?? LMAO!!

or if Obama was called a hermaphrodite?:rolleyes:

#7 Lit

Lit

• Miserable Users
  • PipPipPip
  • 680 posts

Posted 22 March 2008 - 01:47 PM

or if Obama was called a hermaphrodite?:rolleyes:

Now, wait a minute luthersomd. If you called Obama a hermaphrodite that would make you both genderist and racist. ;)