Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bronco

Mussina Calls Out Pavano

6,419 posts in this topic

Why don't the O's add Mike Mussina to the pitching staff so he can mentor the young pitchers? There aren't many potential mentors around now that the Marlins signed CZ.

He's made close to 200 million, why would he want to travel, work, be away from family? What does he have left to prove?

He's made close to 200 million, why would he want to travel, work, be away from family? What does he have left to prove?

One more run around the track is the usual reason why old former stars try comebacks. Why are Ringo Starr and Willie Nelson still performing?

One more run around the track is the usual reason why old former stars try comebacks. Why are Ringo Starr and Willie Nelson still performing?

you really don't get Mike do you? he walked away after his only 20 win season because he felt he was ready to live his life without baseball...read this

http://bombersbeat.mlblogs.com/2011/04/01/happy-to-be-retired-mussina-doesnt-miss-playing/

he doesn't need it.....

you really don't get Mike do you? he walked away after his only 20 win season because he felt he was ready to live his life without baseball...read this

http://bombersbeat.mlblogs.com/2011/04/01/happy-to-be-retired-mussina-doesnt-miss-playing/

he doesn't need it.....

It just shows how big babies ML baseball players are.

"Bad hours" "Traveling" "hotels" "rain delays" "bad food"....

Really? He got to make MILLIONS of dollars playing a kids game that doesn't offer anything to the world but a diversion - that many people on this earth would be happy to play for a thousandth of his former salary of one season.

Plus he was lauded and respected around the world for doing nothing of import.

He should go back to school and be valuable....if he could hack it, he could do doctors without borders and spend 8 years in school to travel to Africa in an area with minimal food and clean water supplies while sleeping in a tent being bitten by mosquitoes and under threat of being kidnapped on a daily basis because you are a westerner while making 30-50K a year, at best.

Really? He got to make MILLIONS of dollars playing a kids game that doesn't offer anything to the world but a diversion - that many people on this earth would be happy to play for a thousandth of his former salary of one season.

He should go back to school and be valuable....if he could hack it, he could do doctors without borders and spend 8 years in school to travel to Africa in an area with minimal food and clean water supplies while sleeping in a tent being bitten by mosquitoes and under threat of being kidnapped on a daily basis because you are a westerner while making 30-50K a year, at best.

Your generalization that major league players are big babies is accurate in many cases, especially among the young players. That's why, in my opinion, coddling them with low pitch counts is exactly the WRONG strategy. Coddling big babies adds to their weaknesses rather than their strengths. I offer the O's and their 14 year losing streak as Exhibit A.

agreed.

it shows how insulated they are from the real world. he didn't mention that the other 5-6 months of the year are spent laying on a beach in Hawaii. or fishing all day, every day, or traveling through Europe on a budget that assures that you will only see the very best hotels and restaurants of the world. he didn't mention how he will now spend the rest of his life busying himself with tasks like hanging a shelf in the den so his wife can display more pictures of their kids. he didn't comment on how he will never, ever have to worry about being able to afford anything his mind can imagine.

poor Mike, he's had a hard life

all those conditions he mentioned are being shouldered by better people at a sliver of the earnings. and many of them will never complain about it like he did.

he made the best use of his talents on and off the field....

you are right, because working with high school kids and giving back to the community where he grew up is such a freakin' waste of time....you are an ***, there's no other way to say it....

reads these and then get back to me with your imbecilic ramblings...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-08-03/sports/1996216053_1_mussina-montoursville-cleveland

I'm sure you did your part....

http://www.littleleaguecoach.org/news/newsdetails.aspx?docid=606

you like this one because he looks forward to being with his kids...oh the horror that he'd want to do that...there are so many other people who need saving

http://www.repeverett.com/NewsItemPrint.aspx?NewsID=6974

more horror....

agreed.

it shows how insulated they are from the real world. he didn't mention that the other 5-6 months of the year are spent laying on a beach in Hawaii. or fishing all day, every day, or traveling through Europe on a budget that assures that you will only see the very best hotels and restaurants of the world. he didn't mention how he will now spend the rest of his life busying himself with tasks like hanging a shelf in the den so his wife can display more pictures of their kids. he didn't comment on how he will never, ever have to worry about being able to afford anything his mind can imagine.

poor Mike, he's had a hard life

all those conditions he mentioned are being shouldered by better people at a sliver of the earnings. and many of them will never complain about it like he did.

he spent his offseasons in Montoursville coaching basketball....you don't normally post stuff that can best be described as crap....but wow..just wow....dropping into booby jr territory....

he wanted to be more of a dad...that's a terrible thing to want to do....

he made the best use of his talents on and off the field....

you are right, because working with high school kids and giving back to the community where he grew up is such a freakin' waste of time....you are an ***, there's no other way to say it....

reads these and then get back to me with your imbecilic ramblings...

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/1996-08-03/sports/1996216053_1_mussina-montoursville-cleveland

I'm sure you did your part....

http://www.littleleaguecoach.org/news/newsdetails.aspx?docid=606

you like this one because he looks forward to being with his kids...oh the horror that he'd want to do that...there are so many other people who need saving

http://www.repeverett.com/NewsItemPrint.aspx?NewsID=6974

more horror....

Imbecile?

Really?

He works with a charity because he doesn't have to work to support his family.

Of course, you wouldn't understand what I was really saying....because you're too busy jumping on the player bandwagon.

The truth is ANYONE that complains about how tough a job was that paid him millions of dollars a year shows a lack of perspective.

I noticed nothing you say actually addresses the real point.

I would love to have more time to do charity - and I have done it myself. The problem is, I have to work 50-70 hours a week to pay my bills and feed my family. I love my job, but this idea that someone spends some time helping out charity, then goes and hangs out with his family while not having to worry about what would happen if you lose your job is hardly makes someone amazing.

None of these players are heroes. They do what they do for the money, security, and prestige. Even those that "hate" the spotlight revel in it, and the side benefits it brings.

The lowest level major league players make 3/4 of a mil to practice and play a kids game (for the backups, maybe once a week).

This hero worship needs to go away.

But please, keep your blind eye to the truth.

he spent his offseasons in Montoursville coaching basketball....you don't normally post stuff that can best be described as crap....but wow..just wow....dropping into booby jr territory....

It's not a terrible thing. But to laud him for it is ridiculous. To want to be around his family is fine. But to act like he deserves a medal for it is ridiculous.

The people that have to sweat their way through life, then use their last minutes to spend time with their families - and still find the energy - are the ones that should be lauded.

The people that work 3 jobs and find some way to help their kids out with homework deserve to be lauded - but no one will know their story, because they aren't "special" enough to be elevated for playing a kid's game.

You just don't get it.

It's not a terrible thing. But to laud him for it is ridiculous. To want to be around his family is fine. But to act like he deserves a medal for it is ridiculous.

The people that have to sweat their way through life, then use their last minutes to spend time with their families - and still find the energy - are the ones that should be lauded.

The people that work 3 jobs and find some way to help their kids out with homework deserve to be lauded - but no one will know their story, because they aren't "special" enough to be elevated for playing a kid's game.

You just don't get it.

apparently in you world being famous, but not calling attention to yourself is somehow a problem that needs to examined because it's just not right...

and to act like he owes the world something because he was moderately famous and made a fair amount of money is equally ridiculous...but then again mirrors don't exist in your world.....

I get it...it's easier for you to trash someone for his success and call his character into question, plus assume things about his lifestyle when you know NOTHING about how he spends his time off the field....it comes across as petty...not surprising...may be you ought to stop being a baseball fan and stand outside hospitals and applaud doctors....

you made the cracks about going overseas, not me....and now you have to eat those words....by the way, he has worked hard and earned everything that's come his way....I'm sure you could earn a degree in Economics from Stanford in three years.....

you have expressed your disappointment in learning that he's really just a regular guy with some extraordinary talent who doesn't have a massive ego and a burning desire to remain in the spotlight....success didn't change him even a little bit, he's still a small town guy with very deep roots..he gives back more than he gets, he's a great mentor and role model for a lot of kids..but yet you have an issue with that....you ought to visit Montoursville sometime....you might learn something.....

as a parent, I don't need someone else's approval or recognition for being a family man...my wife and I raised 2 daughters who graduated from high school, college, got married, had their own kids-- in that order....they are successful in their own right....

gee, come think of it, Cal's not out saving the world either...does that bother you?

you should read my post again. I didn't criticize him for wanting to be home. I criticized him for trying to impress upon the general public that the life of a multi-million dollar a year baseball player is a hard one. if the lifestyle was so challenging to him, why did he wait so long to quite? he could have taken his degree, got a $40K teaching job or a $50K banking job in his hometown and never had to leave PA again for the rest of his days.

did I make my point clearly enough? or do you still feel I need to be fitted for my Posse membership jacket :D

you should read my post again. I didn't criticize him for wanting to be home. I criticized him for trying to impress upon the general public that the life of a multi-million dollar a year baseball player is a hard one. if the lifestyle was so challenging to him, why did he wait so long to quite? he could have taken his degree, got a $40K teaching job or a $50K banking job in his hometown and never had to leave PA again for the rest of his days.

did I make my point clearly enough? or do you still feel I need to be fitted for my Posse membership jacket :D

He quit when he felt it was time....as an economics major he maximized his income by cashing in on his biggest asset, his talent, until he felt he was in a position to live the life he wants....it was his understanding of the concept of the time value of money that tied angelo$er in knots and led to his departure....

no jacket required...just struck me the wrong way....if I misread your meaning..I apologize...

He quit when he felt it was time....as an economics major he maximized his income by cashing in on his biggest asset, his talent, until he felt he was in a position to live the life he wants....it was his understanding of the concept of the time value of money that tied angelo$er in knots and led to his departure....

no jacket required...just struck me the wrong way....if I misread your meaning..I apologize...

..and that's the same meaning I had.

Anyone that complains about having a multi-million dollar job that pays them to play a game has a serious perspective issue.

Let him do his charity, let him spend time with his kids. Good for him and his family.

But to poo-poo a lifestyle that most would kill to live is pathetic, and shows a lack of perspective.

I do think you're missing my point. I'm not discussing the timing of his decision to retire. I commenting on the fact that he is complaining about what he considers the unreasonably demanding lifestyle of a baseball player.

I do think you're missing my point. I'm not discussing the timing of his decision to retire. I commenting on the fact that he is complaining about what he considers the unreasonably demanding lifestyle of a baseball player.

I do a fair amount of traveling for my job-- not as much as a baseball player and what he says about family is true...unlike him, I don't have the luxury of walking away...at least not yet...

I do a fair amount of traveling for my job-- not as much as a baseball player and what he says about family is true...unlike him, I don't have the luxury of walking away...at least not yet...

would you feel the same way if you were given a 6 month vacation every year? except for the years that your employer needed you to work a month of OT (aka-post season)? oh, and they bumped your salary to $12M or more a year, plus OT pay and bonuses for completing the project (win the WS). would that help compensate for the travel?

would you feel the same way if you were given a 6 month vacation every year? except for the years that your employer needed you to work a month of OT (aka-post season)? oh, and they bumped your salary to $12M or more a year, plus OT pay and bonuses for completing the project (win the WS). would that help compensate for the travel?

that's a value judgement based on "what is it worth to me?"....that answer is a personal one based on how you arrange your priorities...Think more Maslow and less Trump...

to those who don't know what the lifestyle is really like and think the money drives everything, then what you've offered here looks good to most people...I'd do it because in 2 years I'd have earned and saved enough to be comfortable and I'd have no problem saying that...

he reached his number and walked away...his reasons are genuine and based on his value judgement..he said the lifestyle wasn't worth the pay..can't ask for a more honest answer than that.....he's not the only one ever to walk away from a high paying job....in the end, he's just a human being like the rest of us, albeit with a bit more of a marketable skill than most....

would have preferred to see him hang around for one more paycheck when it was clear he no longer justified being paid that much?

I hear Pavano's classmate tried to call him out...

that's a value judgement based on "what is it worth to me?"....that answer is a personal one based on how you arrange your priorities...Think more Maslow and less Trump...

to those who don't know what the lifestyle is really like and think the money drives everything, then what you've offered here looks good to most people...I'd do it because in 2 years I'd have earned and saved enough to be comfortable and I'd have no problem saying that...

he reached his number and walked away...his reasons are genuine and based on his value judgement..he said the lifestyle wasn't worth the pay..can't ask for a more honest answer than that.....he's not the only one ever to walk away from a high paying job....in the end, he's just a human being like the rest of us, albeit with a bit more of a marketable skill than most....

would have preferred to see him hang around for one more paycheck when it was clear he no longer justified being paid that much?

I wouldn't have seen this post if Norm didn't bump the thread. I agree with all your points. but I just don't think you understand mine. and I don't think I can state it any clearer. you seem to be reading it the way you want to, rather than what I'm saying.

I'm not questioning his decision to retire when he did. and your Maslow vs. Trump point is perfect. it gets to my point. all the lower levels of his hierarchy were provided for, years and years and years ago. yet he stayed, despite the fact that the job was so horrible. the job actually interfered with his becoming self-actualized. his ability to become the fullest and most complete Mike Mussina was being opressed by his decision to continually subject himself to a life that clearly made him unhappy. and he did so voluntarily, even though all his other levels were taken care of. if I was Mike, not only would I have forgone another paycheck. I would have walked away after just a few years of collecting millions of $$$$ a season. after he earned say...$30M, what else was there to stay for?

Anybody call out Pavano today?

This thread reminds me of just how long I've been posting at this site.