Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bronco

Mussina Calls Out Pavano

6,419 posts in this topic

We should call him out of retirement. At his age, he's probably still better than what we have in the Oriole's starting rotation now. He was always reliable for the most part, he just didn't have much of a team around him. Armando Benitez in the ALCS 1997 anyone.

We should call him out of retirement. At his age, he's probably still better than what we have in the Oriole's starting rotation now. He was always reliable for the most part, he just didn't have much of a team around him.

I agree. Have been saying this for years.

As opposed to all those rings and peannuts he won as an O?

He made the WS twice as a Yankee, pitched brilliantly in relief in game 7 of the ALCS in 2003, won 20 games ONLY as a Yankee.

Pitched in more playoff games as a Yankee too....he IS a Yankee more than Oriole and I know that breaks bitter O's fans hearts.

...he IS a Yankee more than Oriole and I know that breaks bitter O's fans hearts.

????? The majority of fans disagree.

Blue, you still haven't answered my inane questions. Something with which you should be intimately familiar.

Mike Mussina a Pennsylvania legend

He's from my home area and used to help the local HS football team too. I don't know what he is doing now since I haven't lived there in years.

He made the WS twice as a Yankee, pitched brilliantly in relief in game 7 of the ALCS in 2003, won 20 games ONLY as a Yankee.

Pitched in more playoff games as a Yankee too....he IS a Yankee more than Oriole and I know that breaks bitter O's fans hearts.

I'm not sure how anyone could view him as more Yankee than Oriole, since he spent more time in Baltimore, and established himself as an ace in Baltimore. But, to each his own. Of course, you obviously have a bias for NY and against Baltimore, so I'll take your bitter opinion with a grain of salt.

As for post season appearances, that's a team accomplishment. I'm not sure that's something that factors into the Hall's decision making, when choosing a logo. How a player performs in the post season, now that's where the weight is. He was outstanding in the '97 playoffs. I'm not discounting the accomplishment of getting 20 wins, that's a standout stat. But he got to 19 twice for the O's, and 18 twice. Considering that he did that twice, for a team with a losing record, it too is a greater accomplishment. He played for the last Yankee dynasty. Yet, only once did he surpass his highest win total with the O's. If you split his stats, every one of them was better in Baltimore. And his winning % was better in Baltimore. Considering the O's teams he played on, vs the Yankee teams he played on, that's a massive accomplishment in his O's days. His ERA in Baltimore...better, complete games...better, WHIP...better. Across the board, he performed better as an Oriole. 

As I said before, if he has let go of his frustrations with Angelos, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes in without a logo on his plaque. But it isn't a slam dunk that he's a Yankee, that's just nonsense. 

Mussina pitched 10 years in Baltimore, and compiled more wins, had a higher winning percentage, a better ERA and more strikeouts as an Oriole. In addition, all five of his All-Star appearances and five of his six top-five Cy Young finishes occurred in orange and black.

Verdict: Orioles

Mussina pitched 10 years in Baltimore, and compiled more wins, had a higher winning percentage, a better ERA and more strikeouts as an Oriole. In addition, all five of his All-Star appearances and five of his six top-five Cy Young finishes occurred in orange and black.

Verdict: Orioles

Props for interjecting facts into this discussion.

Wow..... this thread shall never die!!!

I miss El Bronco around these parts!

3 minutes ago, soulflower said:

Is Pavano still an active player?

His last stats are from 2012 so doubtful.

9 minutes ago, Rob said:

His last stats are from 2012 so doubtful.

This thread outlasted his career 

On 8/29/2016 at 9:47 AM, ncbirdfan said:

He's from my home area and used to help the local HS football team too. I don't know what he is doing now since I haven't lived there in years.

you gave up living in central pennsyltucky to move to NC? I had no choice, my parents relocated from Plains to Baltimore shortly after I was born....

Moose still lives in Montoursville.....don't know if he is still volunteering at the HS......

don't think this thread will ever die....

Edited by can you hear me now!

This thread out-lived the Village Idiot!

Moose was up to 51.8% in his 4th year of eligibility. I don't care what logo is on his plague (even though I would prefer that it be a bird), I just want to see him get in.