Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shutout

High School Boys Soccer

1,161 posts in this topic

Tryouts are only a few months away. Any opinions on the up coming season?

Howard County 2A looks tough.

Harco has not been the same since 98-2005...Where have the good soccer players gone?

I sware that Bel Air didn't make it to the state finals last year. And they are from harford county so obviously there is still good soccer being played there

Didn't Fallston only graduate 4 or 5 seniors....I bet they will be strong. They had a huge junior class last year.

I sware that Bel Air didn't make it to the state finals last year. And they are from harford county so obviously there is still good soccer being played there

Bel Air had a good season. I am sure HarCo soccer will do fine

I know BA had a good season last year. I am just saying that the caliber of players around the state has dropped for soccer. Many moon ago the level of youth soccer in the state of Maryland was much higher then it is now. I am a soccer ref and am around the game all the time. The late 90's and Early 2000's produced some of the best soccer players in more numbers. Today there are a few here and there but their aren't as many was their used to be.

Just from what I see. I could be wrong, but just observations.

I know BA had a good season last year. I am just saying that the caliber of players around the state has dropped for soccer. Many moon ago the level of youth soccer in the state of Maryland was much higher then it is now. I am a soccer ref and am around the game all the time. The late 90's and Early 2000's produced some of the best soccer players in more numbers. Today there are a few here and there but their aren't as many was their used to be.

Just from what I see. I could be wrong, but just observations.

Where do you ref? I agree to some degree.

Tryouts are only a few months away. Any opinions on the up coming season?

Howard County 2A looks tough.

Hey shutout, how are things going to look in Carroll County this year?

Assuming that the Regional alignment stays the same in 2008 as it was last year, Howard County 2A will be interesting.

I would have to give defending 2A State Champions River Hill the nod as front runner since they return the majority of their starters, including POY Jake Pace. Rising junior Jon Talbot had an excellent post-season up top for the Hawks and could have a breakout year. How well they replace their graduating sweeper/central defender and goalkeeper will be key. Players seem to really like and respond to coach Matt Shagogue and he has put his own stamp on the program, which is always tough to do when replacing a coach like Bill Stara. Should go deep in the playoffs...

Marriotts Ridge should have another very good year. Great coach in Kevin Flynn, best goalkeeper in the county (Paul Killian), two of the top offensive threats in the county (Phil Martinelli, Josh Stover), strong sweeper/central defender Nick Koutrelakos and a core of strong players. I like their chances to make a run at the 2A title.

Oakland Mills will definitely miss graduating senior Cory Marcon. An excellent midfielder, very dynamic with the ball. They return some strong players - defender David Jannati, striker Kevin Sullivan - and should be one of the better teams in the county.

Hammond will look to rebuild after a very down year. They lose Abbas E. in the midfield to graduation but return a lot of young players with solid club experience. I don't know if this will be their year, but the next couple of years they should be back on the upswing.

Mt. Hebron will continue to rebuild after last year's season. They return some very strong players and some young players got a lot of time last year (half the starters were freshmen and sophomores) With some maturity, work this summer, and solid leadership they could make some noise.

All in all, it should be another fun year for local soccer fans.

630-Agree on all of this. RH returns so much from last years champ team. I am all too familar with them;). The coach really had a difficult job stepping in there and had handled it very well.

Hebron should be ready to make another run.

Martinelli is a very complete player for MR. Not to take anything away from Stover, but Martinelli play smuch older than his age at times. Very dangerous and can impact a match.

Liberty lost their stingy back line but does return a solid shot blocker that started in 10th and

11th grade. If you are going to be young in the back at least have an experienced, athletic keeper that is a leader.

I think the most improved team will be South Carroll. New coach, some underclassmen playing on good club teams (one is the son of a former pro player and solid soccer family) and a new passion should make them much improved.

Century lost some great players but will reload and be solid. Coach Smith does a good job of playing to his strengths and his teams are disciplined.

Not sure about North Carroll. They always put together a solid season.

Dave Storey the coach at Key squeezes quite a bit out of maybe the least amount of talent in the county. Not a knock on the kids but they don't have the feeder system other schools have. They respond and can stay in any game.

Westminster lost some players but had a very talented JV last year and played tough.

Winters Mill had a tough year last year but kept themselves in most of the games and played hard. Should be improved.

what about baltimore county

IT's the usual suspects; Patapsco, ET, Perry Hall, Dulaney, Towson. LR, Parkville, and Franklin could be decent too.

630-Did the RH keeper graduate?

Yes, Pat Hudson graduates this spring. From what I hear the heir apparent GK was a freshman on JV this year.

Yes, Pat Hudson graduates this spring. From what I hear the heir apparent GK was a freshman on JV this year.

Watched the JV in one match but I don't remember much about him. MR has the best in the county. Maybe in 2A. CJ Johnson and Killian are close. CJ may be a better pure shot blocker, Killian a little more cocky and field general type.

Watched the JV in one match but I don't remember much about him. MR has the best in the county. Maybe in 2A. CJ Johnson and Killian are close. CJ may be a better pure shot blocker, Killian a little more cocky and field general type.

I have never seen the new River Hill GK play so I can't say anything there.

SAC United Premier 90-91 is fortunate enough to have both CJ Johnson and Paul Killian on their team, splitting time evenly. Both great GKs with lots of college prospects! They will need both GKs to have great games to defend their Maryland State Cup title against the Baltimore Bays on May 31.

river hill is loaded once again, but does anyone have a shot at taking them down?

loch raven had a close game

liberty had a close game

any howard county teams?

IT's the usual suspects; Patapsco, ET, Perry Hall, Dulaney, Towson. LR, Parkville, and Franklin could be decent too.

I thought Catonsville had a good team last year...how will they be this year?

river hill is loaded once again, but does anyone have a shot at taking them down?

loch raven had a close game

liberty had a close game

any howard county teams?

I would give Marriotts Ridge the best shot at beating River Hill in county, although every team gets up to play a returning state champ so who knows???

Liberty and Loch Raven are both well-coached year in and year out so both teams are always a factor.

They're 2A. 'Nuff said.

I'd say Marriotts Ridge has the best shot at counties next year. They're only losing one dominant senior in defender Dan Grady, while a couple sophomore defenders are coming up and could really make a difference. On offense, they still have Stover and Martinelli, no problems there.

Overall, a very strong team. Oakland Mills may not be as strong, but they will still have their threats. As far as River Hill goes, Jake Pace and Tony Riso will have to carry that team, especially offensively.

I heard a rumor today that Jake Pace has committed to the University of Maryland for the 09-10 season. Does anyone know if this is true?

I heard a rumor today that Jake Pace has committed to the University of Maryland for the 09-10 season. Does anyone know if this is true?

Regardless if this is true or not, he still has to maintain his academics. Look at the kid from Mt. Hebron who graduated in '07, Napolitano. He was equivalent with Pace, yet went to a small state school because he achieved only borderline passing grades.

i dont believe that.

jake pace is a good player but i dont think hes good enough to play a maryland.

is there any1 else in the state of maryland whos coming back whos got lots of talent?