Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HCSoftballMom

Fastpitch Softball 2008

14,821 posts in this topic

I like it. Keep up the good work BC.

Heavy, I'm OK with it being here, but I think a link to the original source would suffice.

Heavy, thank you and I will ... It's just that comments like that, coming from someone (PFI) who we all respect so much,

... well ... it just 'hurtz' man. :( What do you think, another 1 & 2 Saturday and "one and done" Sunday ???

Now if those comments came from "Pitching Coach" it would be a different story. But since they came from PFI I'd just ignore them.

I just wish that PFI would play more MD tournaments so that I could pick up some coaching tips!

I should give you and BC some tips so that you can better understand what you are watching. BC, are you chained to your computer? Get out and do something. At least one and done is better than none and never started, you loser.

I understand just fine. It's just that I'm on the field all day Saturday and Sunday and I don't get a chance to watch. Thanks again BC for all the updates.

I can't imagine some people would want to put down anyone else for where they finished in a tournament.

I like it. Keep up the good work BC.

BC, thanks for making this available. I have found if I have seen the game and don't want to read it, I can skip over the post without injury. For the games I missed, it is a great recap. Thanks, again.

So what tournament did you win this weekend?

We didn't win this weekend. We only finished 4th. We lost to a good Bayside Blues team. We did finish 1st last weekend though. Thanks for asking. I'm just saying it's nice to get those recaps after I get home. Why do you take everything so personal?

Question for other teams / coaches:

Why is that ASA seems to have some decent tournaments posted but no one signs up ? Are they not competitive or is their something else that they do not fill ??

Well when you and BC try to be sarcastic, is there any other way to take it than personally? I have had to see this Larry Mo and Curly stuff like I am some kind of idiot. I assure you I am not. I don't mind some light digs but sometimes the remarks get out of hand.

C'mon, what do you mean try to be sarcastic. I think I do a decent job at being sarcastic. I thought the Moe, Larry ,Curly stuff was good natured.

FYI, it's not just you who gets jobbed by the umpires. I had a few calls this weekend that were horrendous. One was a pitch right on the plate that would have ended the game but was missed by blue. The next girl hits a two run single to win it for them.

Question for other teams / coaches:

Why is that ASA seems to have some decent tournaments posted but no one signs up ? Are they not competitive or is their something else that they do not fill ??

The people running ASA in Md/DC are trying to get it going. Until teams start giving it a chance ASA will continue to struggle around here. For some reason teams play that USSSA schedule all season. The director pretty much has a monopoly which is why he can pull crap like this past weekend when some teams only played 2 games after being seeded based on one game. Having been to nationals for Pony, NSA, and ASA I can tell you (in my opinion) ASA is without a doubt the way to go if you can. We went to Seattle (about as far as you can go) for the ASA 16U Nationals 2 years ago. Probably every big name college coach was there and there were a lot of college coaches watching every game. Way more them I've seen at any college showcase.

The people running ASA in Md/DC are trying to get it going. Until teams start giving it a chance ASA will continue to struggle around here. For some reason teams play that USSSA schedule all season. The director pretty much has a monopoly which is why he can pull crap like this past weekend when some teams only played 2 games after being seeded based on one game. Having been to nationals for Pony, NSA, and ASA I can tell you (in my opinion) ASA is without a doubt the way to go if you can. We went to Seattle (about as far as you can go) for the ASA 16U Nationals 2 years ago. Probably every big name college coach was there and there were a lot of college coaches watching every game. Way more them I've seen at any college showcase.

ASA did some odd things last year at one of their tournaments. Teams were seeded based on Saturday play as normal. The bottom seeded teams played early on Sunday morning and then the downpour came. They decided the order of finish based on all the games that were completed. If you won Sunday, you moved up in the seedings. If you were a higher seed from Saturday and didn't play on Sunday, you moved down. I think our team would have gotten a berth based on Saturday play, but since we didn't finish a game on Sunday, we lost it. Seemed awfully strange to me.

Racsan,

Would you go ASA at the younger age groups or would you wait until 16U?

Racsan,

Would you go ASA at the younger age groups or would you wait until 16U?

I would go to ASA at any age. But most often we go either where we quailfied for or where a national is being held. As your players get older and begin the showcase process having that "ASA Nationals" (2008 or whatever) on their player profile looks much more impressive then say "NSA Nationals" 2008. ASA is king without question.

....well I guess that is what I do not understand, This is the same others have said,.....ASA is the better way to go and ASA has the better Nationals....but no one seems to go.....each time we've tried they close up for lack of participation. I am just wondering why ??

Some of you are coaches I presume right ?

What do you play ?

What makes a team want to play the same teams and the same tournaments........I am sure USSSA, NSA etc have nothing special to offer compared to ASA right ? So why the lack of interest or participation in ASA events ?

....well I guess that is what I do not understand, This is the same others have said,.....ASA is the better way to go and ASA has the better Nationals....but no one seems to go.....each time we've tried they close up for lack of participation. I am just wondering why ??

Some of you are coaches I presume right ?

What do you play ?

What makes a team want to play the same teams and the same tournaments........I am sure USSSA, NSA etc have nothing special to offer compared to ASA right ? So why the lack of interest or participation in ASA events ?

For one USSSA has all the familier fields locked up with their tournies so you're going to play at Watkins or most likely travel further then usual. I've had the same problem with signing up for an ASA tournament only to have it canceled for lack of participation. Then you're either left without playing that weekend or begging USSSA to get you in their tournament at the last minute.

Well, that is too bad.......I guess none of this will change as long as everyone gives their money to the other venues. I for one would love to see more NSA and ASA events around here. And traveling a little further is ok with me....it is travel ball ...is it not ?

Anyway - JMO. If we don't support the other venues when they offer events they will eventually go away, which I am sure is what the other guys want.

They don't want to go because it is a more competitive tournament.

The national tournament is, not the local ones. Though in all honesty I wasn't in favor of going, thought we would go all that way just to get our butts kicked. But we won a couple of games and lost to 3 teams that finished in the top 20 without getting slaughtered. lol I'm glad we went, we had a great time and a great experience playing and see the top teams in the country in that age group.

Well, that is too bad.......I guess none of this will change as long as everyone gives their money to the other venues. I for one would love to see more NSA and ASA events around here. And traveling a little further is ok with me....it is travel ball ...is it not ?

Anyway - JMO. If we don't support the other venues when they offer events they will eventually go away, which I am sure is what the other guys want.

Yep. And he's make a ton of money. Add up the number of teams that played last weekend then multiply it by $400.

It comes to $32,400 just for last weekend plus t shirts sales.

Yep. And he's make a ton of money. Add up the number of teams that played last weekend then multiply it by $400.

It comes to $32,400 just for last weekend plus t shirts sales.

That is alot of money....doesn't some of that go to the field and maint. crew etc ???

So how much to think they make per tournament....man I am in the wrong business.

I have talked to the ASA director alot lately and they seem frustrated that they can't get going around here....and he doesn't even get a salary for doing "the same work" that the other guys do...

I think he's in the wrong business too.

LOL

That is alot of money....doesn't some of that go to the field and maint. crew etc ???

So how much to think they make per tournament....man I am in the wrong business.

I have talked to the ASA director alot lately and they seem frustrated that they can't get going around here....and he doesn't even get a salary for doing "the same work" that the other guys do...

I think he's in the wrong business too.

LOL

Sure he has expenses but you can bet he gets a nice chunk of that 32 grand.

ASA "A" has a limited number of berths available to the nationals. There is not a berth available for every tournament. That's why teams around here dont play ASA. USSSA gives multiple berths (2,3 sometimes 4) at every tournament. Generally speaking, here in MD. you get three shots at a natioanl berth, the State tournament, the region tournament and the eastern national in August which gives the berth for the following year. This is why ASA is King. You have to be good to get that berth not just write a check to USSSA or host a Pony Tournament to get that Berth. There's nothing wrong with any of the sanctions but teams arent willing to play ASA just to play in a tournament. The "B" level is a different story.

ASA "A" has a limited number of berths available to the nationals. There is not a berth available for every tournament. That's why teams around here dont play ASA. USSSA gives multiple berths (2,3 sometimes 4) at every tournament. Generally speaking, here in MD. you get three shots at a natioanl berth, the State tournament, the region tournament and the eastern national in August which gives the berth for the following year. This is why ASA is King. You have to be good to get that berth not just write a check to USSSA or host a Pony Tournament to get that Berth. There's nothing wrong with any of the sanctions but teams arent willing to play ASA just to play in a tournament. The "B" level is a different story.

My understanding is the number of berths to the ASA Nationals is based on the number of ASA registered teams in the state. You can only get those berths as you said but if there were more teams registered and playing the state tournament there would be more berths available. We earned a berth by placing high enough at the regional in Sterling last July. There were teams from as far away as Georgia trying to get a berth at that tournament.

This is why I love ASA. It's supposed to be hard to get to a national tournament. To quote Jimmy Dugan in A League of Their Own, "It's the hard that makes it great." You hear of so many folks talk about "going to nationals" and some of them are just "sign-up and go" jobs (like F.A.S.T.). I would just find it hard to get excited about something like that. But win a State or fight through Regionals to earn a berth, that is an accomplishment worthy of a national. Shouldn't a "national" be a national championship, and not just a national invitational?

I want to be careful, because I do not mean to say that there is anything wrong with taking kids to an alternative national tournament to give them that experience. The kids will have a great time. But there is only one national championship wherein the very best will play the very best. And that is A.S.A. JMO

Coach501-- It's hard to argue with your logic. You're right. I also like(as a coach) and hate (as a Site Director) the fact that ASA went to a National Standard this year of double-elimination in bracket play. One brain-fart inning/game doesn't have to end your weekend..... the rain will do that. LOL

Private Message FP Instructor/Pitching Coach/SBParent/Anothersbparent, he'll know !!!

????????

don't understand

Mine is playing in a half hour! Just kidding. I really stuck my neck out with that PAC 10 team,didn't I? They never win.:)