Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BALaxer

Harford County Football

1,368 posts in this topic

If Ivory can stay healthy at Fallston then they should have a good year.

Also is HDG RB going to stay at HDG if Brooks leave or is he going to go back to Joppatowne where he lives?

"The one thing all of the county schools need to look at and unfortunately it hits Route 40 harder (no offense) is eligibility" Beyond the Glory

Why are you picking on the Route 40 schools for eligibility? All the schools have that problem

"The one thing all of the county schools need to look at and unfortunately it hits Route 40 harder (no offense) is eligibility" Beyond the Glory

Why are you picking on the Route 40 schools for eligibility? All the schools have that problem

Yes but statistically the route 40 schools issue far less waivers on appeal then the other schools.

I am not picking on Route 40 at all!! As Jtowne-swim has also supported me. All of the schools get hit by eligibility issues, I know that. But if you talk to coaches and administrators, it hits the route 40 athletic programs generally harder than it may hit other sections. That is all I was saying. Trust me when I say I was In no way was I picking on Route 40!!

I am not picking on Route 40 at all!! As Jtowne-swim has also supported me. All of the schools get hit by eligibility issues, I know that. But if you talk to coaches and administrators, it hits the route 40 athletic programs generally harder than it may hit other sections. That is all I was saying. Trust me when I say I was In no way was I picking on Route 40!!

Bull crap every one knows that that rt 40 kids are not as smart as the rest of the county. I think its from all the mustard gas in our drinking water from APG. But I do think it makes them run faster. :)

First let me make this clear route 40 kids are as smart as the rest of the kids in this county. The point I was making is that on route 40 they generally grant far less waivers then off of route 40. The two schools that granted the lowest percentage of waivers the first year of no E's where Joppatowne and Edgewood!

j-swim I am interested to know where you obtained those stats. I know at CMW they granted very few appeals.

Bel Air also granted very few. But lets play this game, why do you suppose that the route 40 kids would be granted less waivers then that of a Bel Air Fallston or CMW? If anything I would think that they would grant more

Bel Air also granted very few. But lets play this game, why do you suppose that the route 40 kids would be granted less waivers then that of a Bel Air Fallston or CMW? If anything I would think that they would grant more

They might ask for more but very few are granted.

I think Harford tech grants the most.

I really think CMW should have a great year with a solid defense returning and a very good QB from JV coming up.

Also on the topic of eligibility, word is a 2 time All County Wide Receiver from Fallston is ineligible.

I heard this from a reliable source at FHS that is not a student

I think you will find that VERY few, if any, players are granted a 'waiver' if they have an E on a report card. This is ESPECIALLY true if the E is in a class required for graduation. About the only wiggle room the schools have to grant these 'waivers' is allowing a student to play when interim reports have come out and contingent upon that student maintaining a grade. Sometimes they can waive a student that has an E on a report card, and give them 'probation' until the interim report (at which time a failing grade necessitates removal from the team). In any situation, this is exceedingly rare, and I cannot imagine more than one or two students per year per school falling into this situation at all.

I know at Joppatowne that very few kids are granted appeals basiclly someone had best have died or you are homeless. Occasionally students with a rare E amongst a flurry of A's and B's will be granted an appeal. They are all placed on a strict monitering system and failure to comply gets your appeal yanked. Alot of appeals get filed for first quarter and seccond but students soon learn that they are not likely to get them and stop requesting them.

Also the three schools you named two of them have high granted appeal rates and the principal seems to grant alot as well.

True, but if you look at the 1st and 2nd quarter numbers all the amount of appeals being granted are very close, maybe off by 2 to 3 appeals, so I would say that all the schools pretty much have the same standard

If you look at the rt 40 schools they do have a much high ineligible rate.

That is crazy in the second Quarter over half of Edgewood and Joppatowne were ineligible.

I have heard that some schools principals have "secret" deals set up with the players, which I guess you can call special monitoring processing, where I am not sure they are necessarily granted an appeal but they are allowed to stay eligible by going to study halls, etc. I think they don't get counted as an appeal because the principals don't want it to look as if they are granting a lot of appeals, as it gives the school a bad reputation. I almost think all the ineligible kids should go to one board and have it decided quickly but by the same people so you have more uniformity. It would seem more fair to me.

I want to again mention, I was in no way picking on the Rte. 40 kids, I was not saying they are not as smart, or anything else along those lines. I was going off of a coach over there telling me that on numerous occasions that the new eligibility rules was hurting that area more so than in other areas of the county. That was all.

I also think, and this would be interesting, to see how many athletes who are deemed ineligible, simply fail to put in an appeal. Possible reasons include: not feeling they will get it, not getting parent permission, which is required, it will take extra work in the classroom and it is not worth it or lastly for some other reason (Coach won't play me as much because he may lose me as I may become ineligible halfway through or whatever).

Just some thoughts. I also hope you are clear in my not picking on any section of the county. I was going off a long time coach had told me has happened in several sports in that area, although it has affected all areas.

I am not sure when, but I remember the first year of this policy they granted a bunch because they said the kids weren't ready (a load). Than schools were told to crack down. I can't see the secret deals being made at CMW, I don't think the principal there is a big fan of athletics.

I don't think the principal there is a big fan of athletics.

She's not even close to being a fan... I don't understand these principals who have a problem with suppporting the athletic programs at their schools (as well other activities such as music, drama, etc.). Universities and colleges emphesize them as part of a well-rounded education experience, why shouldn't the high schools. Nothing pisses me off more than to go to a football, basketball, lacrosse, or any other game and see the stands half empty. Nothing, and I mean nothing, generates school spirit more than athletics. Where would you rather have your child spending his time after school or on a Friday night? Playing in or attending a high school athletic event or "hanging out". Unfortunately not all school administrators (both in the schools and at HQ) seem to understand the benefits, not only to the athletes, but to the entire school. It's a shame.

Scanning through the other topics posted on the high school board and I see where Curley is getting a lot of mention because of some D-1 recruits and the fact that should have another good team. They have a kid committed to Maryalnd and others getting college attention. What happend with the Curley coach and the Bel Air & CMW jobs. I am hearing he really wanted one of them since he lives in Bel Air. If its true, and he did want one of jobs, how does the county hire two coaches that don't have his experience? Also, for the players sake, he obviously gets kids into college. I have heard that from many within the MIAA and Harford County. Its a shame the kids up here may miss out on college opportunities because they have inexperienced coaches who really don't know how to get their players recruited. Finally, why would he want to leave Curley when his teams are usually good?

If Bel Air & CMW hired coaches to fill a teaching need rather than getting the best coach possible for the kids then that tells me the county is not really interested in athletics. Football is the prime sport at most schools, what better way to get the school and its students excited when you have a good team and a good coach. If this was Pennsylvania or Ohio you better believe they would have created a job for the best coach available. Just some thoughts after reading about Curley. Plus I want to see the Harford County schools be more successful on a consistent basis.

Remember we are talking about public schools, most publics want their head coach in the building. For the Curley coach to get a job, there probably needed to be a teaching position. This year was really tight for new hires in the county, most schools were cutting staff.

Also remeber that Harford County CUT 58 teachers on the secondary level. That was jobs that are not getting filled. Also Bel Air has a decline in enrollment and therefore a need for staff reduction and reassignment in some cases. CMW and Bel Air can not just "create" a teaching vacancy. I am a big fan of athletics and all the positive things it can do for a school but let us not forget it is a school abovew all else. There are NO teaching openings on the secondary level. My wife had an application in to transfer to Harford County from Baltimore County and she got 0 interviews this year last year at this time she had 5. SO this guy may be a great football coach but I doubt he can just accept $5,000 for coaching football. This of course assumes that these schools would then have to overlook him not being a teacher.

Also you dont know if he meets the states requirments to be a public school teacher. Not saying public is better but you do have to jump through more hoops.

I heard July 12 at patterson mill there is a 7 on 7 air it out tourny. Tucker is going to be the QB or Joppatowne.

I heard July 12 at patterson mill there is a 7 on 7 air it out tourny. Tucker is going to be the QB or Joppatowne.

Where did you here this? Would like to know who's in it.