Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

VinnieVega

What's the deal with all these Copperheads?

16 posts in this topic

I got the implication someone was seeing "all these copperheads" in the Baltimore area and was just curious.

I live up in Harford County myself in Rocks - where copperhead populations took a big hit in the 1950s through the 'copperhead roundups' frequently held in the area around the King and Queen Seat.

I hear copperheads are still around, but living in Rocks and being something of an amateur herpetologist myself, I'm surprised I've never come across one of the snakes in the wild.

Only place I've seen in is in WVa.

Be careful where you tread in Gunpowder State Park then. Plenty of them nestled in the rocks along the waters of the Gunpowder River.

It's been said the highest population of Copperheads on the East Coast can be found along the banks and woods of the Gunpowder River Valley in Maryland. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've seen many of them in the Perry Hall area. One even in the basement of our house. Shed it's skin on the clothes drier during a clothes drying cycle. Never saw him coming in or going out, but the aroma of fresh cut cucumbers when they are around is unmistakable.

Too many people misidentify northen banded water snakes, milk snakes or even baby black rat snakes as copperheads, but when once you've seen one you'll never make that mistake again.

They turn up in old stone foundations and occassionally garages here in Harford County - especially during droughts. I think they are more secretive than they are rare.

I've got milk snakes in my basement, which I don't mind knowing they eat worms and small insects, but I'm not sure how I'd feel with a venomous reptile slithering around with my dogs and cats.

Noticed three along Gunpowder two weeks ago and another along the banks of Patapsco,wondered if I was the only one,thanks

As I recall, mates don't wander too far from each other... so if you see one, another is likely nearby. They are not particularly aggressive and for the most part strike only in defense if cornered or threatened. And while poisonous, this viper is not likely to kill anyone unless they are sickly or very weak. Just the same... I give them a lot of space. Having seen my fair share of them (Kraits, Corals and Cobras) in Vietnam... I hate Pit Vipers.

I live next to a 900 acre environmental area. We have snakes in the yard all summer long; but, in the 26 years I've lived here, I have never seen a copperhead. Savage is about 10 miles down river. There have been reports of copperheads there.

I've never seen a copperhead in the wild. The triangular shape of the head is a dead giveaway, but as stated previously, many people mistake milk and water snakes for copperheads.

They are beautiful snakes, though.

They say in the country if it gets hot and dry enough, a blacksnake has no problem knocking on the door and asking for a glass of water...and if it gets wet enough, a copperhead has no problem passing right by you as they move to higher ground...in a wet season, copperheads can be found anywhere alongs rocks and rocky outcrops...thats just the way it is.

They say in the country if it gets hot and dry enough, a blacksnake has no problem knocking on the door and asking for a glass of water...and if it gets wet enough, a copperhead has no problem will be the first to move to higher ground...in a wet season, copperheads can be found anywhere alongs rocks and rocky outcrops...thats just the way it is.

yeah but can they take care of some steven king like maniacal taradactel throwback thats infiltrated your world ?