Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

What's the deal with all these Copperheads?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 VinnieVega

VinnieVega

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 05:27 PM

Your Take.

#2 Mamapsyops

Mamapsyops

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,120 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 05:51 AM

very wet spring?

#3 brianinja

brianinja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 06:48 AM

Where are you seeing copperheads?
[SIGPIC]The Dagger[/SIGPIC]
The Dagger
Local News With An Edge

#4 osprey

osprey

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,698 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 11:14 AM

Only place I've seen them is in WVa.

#5 workerbee

workerbee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 11,848 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 12:02 PM

Only place I've seen in is in WVa.

Mounts of West.MD also.
TERM LIMITS NOW!

#6 brianinja

brianinja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:17 PM

I got the implication someone was seeing "all these copperheads" in the Baltimore area and was just curious.

I live up in Harford County myself in Rocks - where copperhead populations took a big hit in the 1950s through the 'copperhead roundups' frequently held in the area around the King and Queen Seat.

I hear copperheads are still around, but living in Rocks and being something of an amateur herpetologist myself, I'm surprised I've never come across one of the snakes in the wild.
The Dagger
Local News With An Edge

#7 johman

johman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,829 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 01:35 PM

Only place I've seen in is in WVa.

Be careful where you tread in Gunpowder State Park then. Plenty of them nestled in the rocks along the waters of the Gunpowder River.

It's been said the highest population of Copperheads on the East Coast can be found along the banks and woods of the Gunpowder River Valley in Maryland. I don't know if that's true or not, but I've seen many of them in the Perry Hall area. One even in the basement of our house. Shed it's skin on the clothes drier during a clothes drying cycle. Never saw him coming in or going out, but the aroma of fresh cut cucumbers when they are around is unmistakable.

#8 VinnieVega

VinnieVega

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 02:11 PM

Noticed three along Gunpowder two weeks ago and another along the banks of Patapsco,wondered if I was the only one,thanks

#9 brianinja

brianinja

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:16 PM

Too many people misidentify northen banded water snakes, milk snakes or even baby black rat snakes as copperheads, but when once you've seen one you'll never make that mistake again.

They turn up in old stone foundations and occassionally garages here in Harford County - especially during droughts. I think they are more secretive than they are rare.

I've got milk snakes in my basement, which I don't mind knowing they eat worms and small insects, but I'm not sure how I'd feel with a venomous reptile slithering around with my dogs and cats.
The Dagger
Local News With An Edge

#10 johman

johman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,829 posts

Posted 17 June 2008 - 03:54 PM

Noticed three along Gunpowder two weeks ago and another along the banks of Patapsco,wondered if I was the only one,thanks

As I recall, mates don't wander too far from each other... so if you see one, another is likely nearby. They are not particularly aggressive and for the most part strike only in defense if cornered or threatened. And while poisonous, this viper is not likely to kill anyone unless they are sickly or very weak. Just the same... I give them a lot of space. Having seen my fair share of them (Kraits, Corals and Cobras) in Vietnam... I hate Pit Vipers.

#11 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 01:55 PM

I live next to a 900 acre environmental area. We have snakes in the yard all summer long; but, in the 26 years I've lived here, I have never seen a copperhead. Savage is about 10 miles down river. There have been reports of copperheads there.
"If anyone, concerned really for truth, undertake the confutation of my hypothesis, I promise him either to recant my mistake, upon fair conviction; or to answer his difficulties. But he must remember two things: First, that cavilling here and there, at some expression, or little incident of my discourse, is not an answer to my book. Secondly, that I shall not take railing for arguments, nor think either of these worth my notice". John Locke, (First Treatise, Preface).

#12 mlatoman

mlatoman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,722 posts

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

I've never seen a copperhead in the wild. The triangular shape of the head is a dead giveaway, but as stated previously, many people mistake milk and water snakes for copperheads.

They are beautiful snakes, though.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"This little piggie should have stayed home

#13 agentorange

agentorange

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,575 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:09 PM

They say in the country if it gets hot and dry enough, a blacksnake has no problem knocking on the door and asking for a glass of water...and if it gets wet enough, a copperhead has no problem passing right by you as they move to higher ground...in a wet season, copperheads can be found anywhere alongs rocks and rocky outcrops...thats just the way it is.

#14 VinnieVega

VinnieVega

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 02 July 2008 - 09:28 PM

They say in the country if it gets hot and dry enough, a blacksnake has no problem knocking on the door and asking for a glass of water...and if it gets wet enough, a copperhead has no problem will be the first to move to higher ground...in a wet season, copperheads can be found anywhere alongs rocks and rocky outcrops...thats just the way it is.

yeah but can they take care of some steven king like maniacal taradactel throwback thats infiltrated your world ?

#15 Seadog

Seadog

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 03 July 2008 - 10:02 AM

yeah but can they take care of some steven king like maniacal taradactel throwback thats infiltrated your world ?

If you have that problem, I suggest you buy an akita.
"If anyone, concerned really for truth, undertake the confutation of my hypothesis, I promise him either to recant my mistake, upon fair conviction; or to answer his difficulties. But he must remember two things: First, that cavilling here and there, at some expression, or little incident of my discourse, is not an answer to my book. Secondly, that I shall not take railing for arguments, nor think either of these worth my notice". John Locke, (First Treatise, Preface).

#16 VinnieVega

VinnieVega

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,280 posts

Posted 01 August 2008 - 07:16 AM

dude gets caught with 10 copperheads whoa.