Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

Prostitution in Baltimore

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
96 replies to this topic

#1 techbalt

techbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:25 PM

I know there are going to be people out there who say we should not worry about prostitution in Baltimore. Some will say there are bigger things to worry about or it is just lonely men paying for sex. If you had to live a neighborhood with armed drug dealing pimps and johns trolling around in their cars you probably would think differently. If you had to pick up used condoms from your alley or witness prostitutes defecating in your backyard you probably would also have different opinions concerning the severity of the problem.

http://www.examiner....tution-Web-Site

And unbelievably enough you can go online and get exact locations of prostitution hot spots (as documented at the above link) and "advice" on where to pick one up at.
www.BaltimoreHourly.com
Civil Disobedience in 2009

#2 SonOf Scribbler

SonOf Scribbler

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,684 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:43 PM

Another valuable service from the Baltimore Sun talk forums

#3 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:50 PM

Solutions to prostitution problem:

Apart from exterminating the human race, we could:

* Make it legal.

* If not, go after johns.

* Remind people in blunt terms that if they decide to partake in the pleasures of a Baltimore protitute, their chances of getting HIV will increase ten fold.
"You cannot have a strong middle class without a strong labor movement."

President Barack Obama

#4 Lazarus

Lazarus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:53 PM

The worst "prostitutes" in Baltimore can be found at 100 North Holliday Street. :(
Dear Lord, please help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Washington, D.C., January 20, 2009: Nuremberg on the Potomac. :eek:

A warning from history: http://lib.store.yah...riccomment.html

#5 bmore_ken

bmore_ken

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55,288 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 12:57 PM

Europe has had legal prostitution for decades. Why doesn't America get it?
Secretary of State Hillary Clinton. It has a nice sound to it

Suggs has signed. I've never been so happy to be wrong

Don't blame me, I voted Bob Barr:cool:

#6 Niamhaine

Niamhaine

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,248 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:00 PM

Solutions to prostitution problem:

Apart from exterminating the human race, we could:

* Make it legal.

* If not, go after johns.

* Remind people in blunt terms that if they decide to partake in the pleasures of a Baltimore protitute, their chances of getting HIV will increase ten fold.

If not, go after johns- they do, vehicle is confiscated when arrested. Still remember the story of the towtruck driver on Pulaski Hgwy who had both his towtruck and the delivery truck he was towing confiscated (truck was temporary until ownership confirmed).

Prostitution is not a victimless crime- it is directly tied to drugs and "white" slavery.
Get In On It:eek:

#7 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:10 PM

If not, go after johns- they do...

Keep it up then.

President Barack Obama

#8 AmateursGuide

AmateursGuide

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,708 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:11 PM

Yes Niamhane, prostitutes in Baltimore or more accurately streetwalkers -- mostly all have drugs on their person to sell. And they are drug users as well. It is that nexus that us need to keep them off our corners.

#9 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:13 PM

But if you legalize it and confine it to a certain area of the city, you can better enforce outlaw street walker laws.

President Barack Obama

#10 Earlyriser

Earlyriser

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

I was down in the Pigtown area last week and was surprised at the number of houses being renovated in a new wave of renaissance. No obvious signs of illicit drug trafficking, however, as I turned towards Wilkens avenue I saw no less than three streetwalkers on the prowl and this was mid-afternoon Sunday. Unfortunately, the prospective investor I was with saw them too.
Earlyriser

#11 Jack Dublin

Jack Dublin

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,913 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:14 PM

I was down in the Pigtown area last week and was surprised at the number of houses being renovated in a new wave of renaissance. No obvious signs of illicit drug trafficking, however, as I turned towards Wilkens avenue I saw no less than three streetwalkers on the prowl and this was mid-afternoon Sunday. Unfortunately, the prospective investor I was with saw them too.

Lower Wilkens is a mess.

President Barack Obama

#12 Lazarus

Lazarus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,253 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:33 PM

Lower Wilkens is a mess.

Yes it is...and has been for years. Lots of vacant properties, trash and debris in the streets, drug and alcohol abuse, and crushing poverty. Very sad...
Dear Lord, please help me to be the person my dog thinks I am.

Washington, D.C., January 20, 2009: Nuremberg on the Potomac. :eek:

A warning from history: http://lib.store.yah...riccomment.html

#13 P~SIZZLE

P~SIZZLE

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:54 PM

I know there are going to be people out there who say we should not worry about prostitution in Baltimore. Some will say there are bigger things to worry about or it is just lonely men paying for sex. If you had to live a neighborhood with armed drug dealing pimps and johns trolling around in their cars you probably would think differently. If you had to pick up used condoms from your alley or witness prostitutes defecating in your backyard you probably would also have different opinions concerning the severity of the problem.

http://www.examiner....tution-Web-Site

And unbelievably enough you can go online and get exact locations of prostitution hot spots (as documented at the above link) and "advice" on where to pick one up at.

This is the real site, and I would argue it's alot more brazen.

http://baltimore.cra.../ers/?query=w4m

But this isn't an easy problem to solve. It's hard to convince a poor woman that she is better off spending 40 hours on her feet in a Walmart rather than 5 or 6 hours on her back for 10 times the money.

If we can't shut it down completely, and I don't believe we can, the best we an do it regulate it, license it, and require std testing as a requirement to be relicensed.

#14 lanaloo

lanaloo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 01:56 PM

that website is freakin hilarious.

#15 Frobby

Frobby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:04 PM

How much you want to bet that the story in the Examiner with the link leads to soem more traffic in those areas?
Kind of like the Marty Bass situation?
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
-John Stuart Mill

#16 lanaloo

lanaloo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,786 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:06 PM

marty's on that site. his username is 'chrome dome'.

i kid i kid

#17 Eastside Terp

Eastside Terp

Fairtax & Term Limits

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 23,555 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:10 PM

I guess I don't understand how folks say a women's body is her's to do what she wants when it comes to abortion but not if she wants to get paid for using it.....
They've got a name for the winners in the world
I want a name when I lose
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide
Call me Deacon Blues
~WB & DF

FairTax - because the Government shouldn't use the tax code to pick the winners and losers ........

#18 pepper

pepper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29,092 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:19 PM

Europe has had legal prostitution for decades. Why doesn't America get it?

And its a mess. Doing some searching, I can't find any reason why we should even consider Europes model.

http://www.neurope.e...icles/87612.php

It seems that where prostitution is legal or overlooked, theres serious side effects.

#19 MarylandsMissing

MarylandsMissing

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,365 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:43 PM

Consenting adults is one thing, but I've seen endless girls on craigslist who are on missingkids.com. The ones where photos are blurred out very often are minors. They run away for whatever reason, and within no time they are being held in hotel rooms 24/7...These girls have almost zero chance to escape...They are held in hotel rooms 24/7 with a pimp or associate with them at all times. Even during 'client sessions' - pimps have their kronies sitting in closets quite often to make sure the girls don't escape out windows and/or try to elicit the customers help to escape.
Maryland Missing Persons Network
www.marylandmissing.com

Help keep a killer in prison
http://www.gopetitio....-for-life.html

#20 Frobby

Frobby

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,275 posts

Posted 03 August 2008 - 02:48 PM

pepper,
I read the story in your link.
It says there's a forced prostitution problem, but offers no evidence other than some politicians saying it's there.
Germany, the Netherlands, and other countries have it legalized, with health checks, in certain areas, and it seems to work rather well. It's got to be better than the way we do it here.
"Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives."
-John Stuart Mill