Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest FHS fan

Harford County Lacrosse

1,227 posts in this topic

Yes I know it is early, but it is January and I am getting itchy already to see kids out playing the game. I would love to get input from around the county about who thinks they will have a nice team this year. Take a minute and fill uys all in on North harford, CMW, Bel Air and what might be happening in the east county. I would love to see the game get in gear over there.

Dominate what? The B league? Give me a break, enough of the JC stuff out of you and your tag team pals. Stop ruining the board. Go find another board where you and your immature high school "pals" can hangout.

To try and address the OP, I would say that the big three will still continue their dominance in HC. Fallston, NH, and CMW will lead the pack. I can't figure out why Bel Air hasn't been able to get their stuff together. According to the Laxpower.com ranking, Fallston finished number 6 and NH finished 23 ranked among public schools. What did each team lose and who is replacing the losses?

As a parent who has had two kids go through Bel Air HS I get frustrated when this question pops up because people simply do not know the simple facts. I can tell you that Bel Air has trouble because they don't get the amount of kids that CMW gets out of Bel Air rec. If you look at the books from Bel Air rec CMW gets more kids from Bel Air rec than Bel Air, plus they get more of the travel kids. If Emmorton rec ever started a lacrosse program, which I have spoken to on numerous occasions, I think Bel Air would be much more competitive with CMW. Kids that go to Bel Air live up 24, which is Emmorton rec, which is baseball. Since Emmorton Refuses, to start a lacrosse program, because it would damage their almighty baseball program (which I hear is very good) many dads just put their kids their kids in baseball at the age of 5/6 when the kids have no decision or don't care what they are going to play. The kids play baseball and switch over to lacrosse at an older age when boredom sets in and then by that point, they are older and have to play catch up. Many of the population that attends CMW actually participates in Bel Air Rec from the beginning so Dads have a choice between the two from the beginning and start lax at a younger age. They then have been playing longer and have more skills and understanding of the game. These are honest facts, many parents still don't know much about lacrosse and kids get signed up for baseball. I have witnessed it with my two sons. I have also witnessed how disappointed many of the Emmorton baseball kids are when reality sets in and they get cut from baseball because there are only 15 positions when 80 or more kids try out for JV. The Bel Air Lax program then tries to find the good athletes and put a stick in their hand.

Many of the other HS have feeder programs (rec) that generally (I said generally) feeds only the HS, not Bel Air. They all lose to private schools, I know Fallston, I don't need to hear your sob stories about losing to private schools. Bel Air HS is at a disadvantage in some ways compared to CMW, Fallston and NH.

I think we all need to say a prayer for Mr. Todd at Fallston. I wish him and his family the best and my hearfelt prayers go out to him. Best wishes to you and the Fallston HS lax community.

Senor Lopez,

While JC has done a great job of dominating the B league, I believe that it's time for the Pats to "put up, or shut up". Move up into the A league, or starting scheduling some more top HC teams. Your point about the ranking is well receieved. I do know that in the past five years, JC has lost to a top HC team on more than one occasion. Fallston and NH have both beat JC before. I guess my point is that their dominance in HC is not a great as you and others perceive.

I have heard the Bel Air arguement before about CMW and all. There is some validity to it. There is also a huge hole in the arguement. Fallston Rec maybe signs up 400 kids a year to play Rec ball. Each year we get about 4-5 of the A players and about all of the B players. In the freshman class coming up we only got 3 A players. The Bel Air Rec program has about 600 kids playing lacrosse if I am not mistaken. That is a huge number that should generate a lot of good talent. I don;t see that talent blossum at the Rec level or at the High School level. Please check me on that Rec number, I think I am right.

John Carroll is in a pinch. They play B ball and beat up on weak teams, and they don't have the depth to play the A teams. They are not going anywhere. Fallston plays a MIAA B team in preaseason and they are really so so. We also play St Pauls and get our butts kicked.

The Todd situation is a real trajedy. I can't even think of how much fun he would have had playing his senior year. I worry he may not walk again. I only get hear say but it sounds like his hip was shattered.

Fallston will have a nice team this year. We have a strong senior class. Fallston does not have a goalie on on the roster who has played any ball at all. They could be very weak there. I see N Harford as improving this year as well. They had a JV attackman who will move up score for them. Herzog I think. They had a nice JV goalie as well.

What does CMW have this year???

FHS,

I tend to agree with you regarding JC playing an A schedule. Also, beware of projecting JV talent to the varsity level. I believe that NH had a fairly strong junior class last year that are seniors this year, including a defense with Rigdon and Cox returning and a solid goalkeeper in Pedri. Plus, they have a couple underclassman that are talented. Fallston always puts a quality team on the field, so I am sure that once again it comes down to Fallston and NH. Lack of a experienced goalkeeper may be a potential hazard, though. I know that Fallston always plays a tough out of county schedule, while NH is a little more suspect. Someone please update us on the situation with Todd at Fallston, I am unaware. Any ideas on who both play out of county this year?

FHS,

I know I am correct about the Bel Air HS situation. My boys are 4 years apart and have been in the high school program that long (8 years), end of story. The program has improved under Colin Carr and Scoop Kelly. I don't know about total numbers but if you listen to what I am saying, I am saying that the quality of the kids Bel Air HS gets (starting late) and the number do effect the program. You mentioned that many of Fallston HS kids are on the B travel teams but how good are those teams? I bet they beat Bel Air rec's teams on a continual basis, see so by just saying it is a B team really doesn't mean much unless we take the time to look at their records and leagues they competed in, which is ridiculous and not my point. The 4-5 kids are they from the the Double A team, which Bel Air Rec really doesn't even have as far as in competition level.

I will be the first to say that Fallston has far and away the best quality of players in HC. I was simply correctly stating as to why CMW gets the more advanced players than Bel Air HS and replying to the "when is Bel AIr HS gonna get their act in gear."

Fallston should win the counties hands down this year as they have the best talent top to bottom, followed by North Harford. I think then it is CMW and Bel Air fighting it out for third.

JC does need to play a hard schedule. If they added Fallston, N. Harford, CMW, and Bel Air and got rid of all the easy schools they played. Let's be honest, they have like three hard teams all year long in the B conference (Sts Peter & Paul, Key School, AA Christian, Archbishop Curley, Pallotti, St Johns-Prospect Hall, Park School). That is not a hard conference and they play each team twice. Even John Carrol has to admit it is an easy conference. But they are in a catch 22 because they really aren't ready to compete in the A conference. When do they have to move up?? The above Harford County teams would do well against those schools or hold their own and they can't recruit.

on the todd situation i think he didi shatter his hip heard that from a friend not real sure though. also i def agreee with the statement fallston will win counties and maybe the UCBAC now without a doubt. Falsston has both a strong varsity and strong JV team. so the talent will come till the class of 2007 is seniors then i dont know what talent we have coming up. go FHS

Is Harford County any good at lax?

There's decent lax there. Harford is a little better than Howard County in lax. The best team there in any given year is on par with an MIAA-B team, the rest are MIAA-C level.

Your analysis of Harford County lacrosse is way too simplistic. There is a lot of great talent that comes out of Harford Couny. By my analysis about a third of it leaves for a private school. The rest of the talent ends up in the west end of the county. Fallston, CMW, Bel Air, and North Harford. The big problem with Har Co lacrosse is the disparity of talent. Any season in the county will provide 3 good tough lacrosse games and 5 laughers. Harford Countys top 2 teams generally the best in the lower top 10 and the other in the lower top 20. Fallston has won a couple of State titles and I am sure CMW must have a couple.

The big shock I had was when my son made JV freshman year and the overall play was such a letdown from the level of play he enjoyed on a top Rec team. The depth of talent is our biggest problem. A great Fallston team will have 10-12 great players on it. A great private school team will have 30 great players on it. We are looking for club play opportunities for just that reason

I agree with you about the JC schedule thing. They don't seem to want to do that though. Losing a couple of those in county games may not be part of their plan. St Pauls and Loyola will play Fallston. Why wouldn't JC???

Talking numbers again I know Bel Air Rec soccer fields 800 - 900 boys. AFC Rec fields another 1000 boys. Fallston feeds 600 boys on the soccer field. Those are huge numbers over there even if you split them up. I agree the lacrosse culture has not taken hold yet. (There is still that silly baseball thing.) I don't see why some of those big Rec numbers don't translate into better Rec and High School teams. It certainly seems to pay off in basketball.

I will keep my ears open on the Todd situation. I did hear reliably that the jaw was broken in 5 plaaces as well as the hip being shattered. There could be more injury, they have more tests to run.

I grew up (many years ago) in the harford county system. I had the pleasure of learning under names like Mezanotti (sp?), Grub, and Arthur. I was able to get out of the county knowing a lot about the game--but only because I went looking for it from anyone I could who knew more than me. HC has some really quality and consitently competitive programs (rec, JV, Varsity) (North Harford, Fallston) and some that aren't so strong (HDG, J-Towne/Edgewood). But even those not so strong programs have produced some quality talent.

North Harford will be excellent this year keep an eye on Dean Thrasher your goign to hear that name come up alot during the season as he will most likely be the counites leading scorer. The hawks sould only have competion with Falston for the county title. The teams going to tear up the county and Thrasher should be nearly unstoppable

I agree about Dean Thrasher. He is an excellent player and is going to be difficult for schools to stop this year. I see them as Fallston's competition although I still see Fallston as number one. I definitely agree with an earlier post about Fallston's weakness being in the goal.

I remember seeing Thrasher play in the Rec leagues. He was out of Jarrettsville. My guess is he will be a junior this year. He was a nice player, has he grown at all, can he get to goal? Fallston will have Bosse on attack in his senior year. He was the man last year and he and Smith will try to do it again this year.

What is going on at CMW. They should be competitive. Wazzup????

Vo Tech had a better team last year. Will they be better this year. They have a young middie coming I like named Whittie. Keep an eye out for him.

Thrasher is a junior attackman he worked incredibly hard during the offseason and has made incredible improvements. I also agree that Cmilton should be competitive.

Got some good news about Andrew Todd last night. (Senior Fallston Attackman) (Car Accident)The pelvis is broken in two places and is set and healing. The jaw is a real problem. He is talking about getting to games this year and getting around a bit. They are telling him 3 months to set the bones. God Bless him.

Really hope everything works out for him. Sad to hear these things. Too many auto accidents involving teens in HC.

What does CMW have back?? Will they lose anyone to eligibility or discipline this year? Anyone know or any input??

Boys Club ball is becoming a bigger deal these days. Club ball has always been a big part of the girls game. It seems the boys game is trying to catch up to the girls in this matter. The tournaments age groups are scattered. The tournaments are all on top of each other. The level of play is all over the map. Any input on Boys Club activity in this area.

I don't have clue how things will shake out.

I gotta like Fallston with a lot of offense and some solid D. They tend to be thin at middie and will be weak in the net. I like NH, I don't have a clue about CMW and Bel Air. Bel Air has been weak lately and CMW seems to have disappeared. I am rooting for these guys because we have to be able to field a competitive league to ever be taken seriously. We bleed so much talent that sits on a bench at some damn private school. We really need to give those kids a reason to stay home.