Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest FHS fan

Harford County Lacrosse

1,227 posts in this topic

Without a doubt Fallston should man handle the entire county. There wasn't a team in the county that could even contest with Fallston last year as they dominated everyone. It must be some kind of record to slaughter rule the entire county (lead by 10 or more goals in the second half and the clock runs).

I tend to disagree with FHS Fan as middie will be Fallstons strongest point with first team all county performers Ryan Smith and Ross Novak. Brandon Fisher could possibly be the fastest player in the county and as long as he stays healthy will have a good year for Fallston.

Quite honestly Dean Thrasher will never be as good as Steve Bosse (All American as a junior!). Anyone trying to proclaim Thrasher as the best attackman in the county has obviously never seen Bosse play, he has great vision, quick feet and the hardest shot in the county. Put Kevin Goedeke (UMBC) on Thrasher and there's a good chance he'll go scoreless. Losing Rew at attack is a big blow, but i expect some players to step it up.

With holes at Goalie, FO and LSM, Fallston will without a doubt field the best team in the county. Two up and coming sophomores will compete for the starting goalie position, but with 3 senior defenders returning, i wouldn't expect many shots to be allowed. As for FO... any word on Pete Raab and his knee?

Any idea? No one has been talking about them, do they have a chance of challenging Fallston and North Harford??

Quite honestly fallston is extremely overrated. Bosse is one of the most overrated players i have ever seen. Goedeke is great though. Northharford should handle fallston and Thrasher is the best attackman no questions asked. He will also be much too quick for Goedeke. Anyone who would say that Bosseand Fallston are better than nh, obviously have not been watching Thrasher or Nh play in the fall leagues. The team will be much better than last years and Harrison Rigdon should be an incredible force also

knowing bosse and goedeke personally, i think someone is a little jealous there team got romped last year (something to the tune of 15-5). Fallston graduated defenseman ryan mull, goalies petti a.nd masenoir and attackman dave frampton. Rigdon can be covered by either one of our other two starting defenseman...both with lots of experience...great checks and and strong desire to win...goedeke is training hard in the off season... i would know.. i've lifted with him over the summer. Basketball should improve his feet and thrasher will find a force he can't comprehend. Maybe if he grows he'll have a chance...but right now goedeke makes him look like a boy among men. Fallston has a streak and i know this team won't end it. They feel they got robbed this past season and are ready to go all the way. Also they got someone to play for, MR. Rew Todd. Your in our prayers

Who do you plan on putting on bosse? with peiper gone u're d is done. Cox may shut down 1 middie...but he can't cover all three. Pedri got demolished last season as Hartline couldn't produce either.

What did happen last year in the Varsity FHS NH game. I missed it, it was rescheduled for rain or something. I remember the story being the game was close and well played through halftime and then NH gave out. Fallston then poured in some goals. Sounds like NH needed to control th ball and the game and could not, often a middie problem. Were the middies graduated, will you improve in the midfield.

There is one more thing. With all those Bel Air Rec boys going to CMW and Bel Air. I understand if one is hurting and the other is strong. I am not seeing where either one will be strong this year.

They try but the best players head down to Bmore privates. One reason is schedule and number of games Fallston,NH, CMW can only play say 14 games and are already locked up 7/8 with county teams like Havre de Grace,Aberdeen etc. other big reason is coaching. TEam have 5/6 assistants that all played somewhere and head coach is usually some ex lax jock . Any parent that thinks there kid can play tries to go to privates if they can cut it. There will some great county kids playing for BL/Loyola/Gilman this year.

Fallston fielded a team that should have beat Friends this past season, falling short in OT. As for teams in the county, Havre de Grace does not even play a county schedule. The good har co public schools play extremely tough schedules as Fallston faced Friends and Hereford to OT, both of which either started or finished the season in the top 15 in the metro area. Sure some weak opponents in the county were a problem, but for Fallston it seemed like every team in the county was a weak opponent (again they slaughter ruled the entire county) So what if the county lost a lot of talent to MIAA, but what schools don't? Har Co is no exception to Baltimore, Howard, Montgomery and any other lacrosse hot bed.

As for coaches, it's not the coaching staff that brings in wins for MIAA schools, its the athletes. They are given the opportunity to practice year round and recruit. Given set regulations, I feel that Harford county fields excellent teams. Aren't ex lax jocks good to be coaches? I'd rather have an ex lax jock then some teacher who doesn't have any experience.

What would you call new Gilman coach Brooks Matthews, a former Gilman lacrosse player just recently hired. Obviously he is an ex lax jock. Hey referee, you want to borrow my glasses, cuz it seems like you made a bad call again?? Most Har Co players that try out for MIAA teams end up being flops anyway. Sure there are some positive stories, but most are unsuccessful. Sometimes politics have a lot to play with it. For example, Jeff Reynolds, from Bel Air, who now plays at the University of Maryland wasn't even good enough to play for Calvert Hall's Fresh- Soph team, got cut, but was all of a sudden good enough to play for their Varsity team and get pulled up in the same season. I hear his father had a lot to do with it and he has no hope of seeing the field at UMD. Yea, the MIAA is the greatest high school lacrosse league in the nation, but honestly Har Co is barely affected by it.

As for Fallston and NH, Fallston was up by 5 or so at half and dominated the second half. I spoke with Bosse tonite, he's 15 goals short of 100 in his career and 50 points or so short of 200. One of the greatest lacrosse players to come through Harford County. Who does NH have to cover this powerhouse? He's ready to pick up the load Fallston has lost with the loss of Rew Todd. With 4 out of 6 offensive starters returning and 4 out of 7 defensive starters returning, Fallston will be unstoppable.

Is John Carroll finally ready to face a GOOD harford county team? or will they continue with the incredibly weak schedules. It's the B class fellas. People care as much about the B class just about as much as they care about the WNBA. I'll give you credit when you beat a REAL team, but as of now i'm not a believer.

Bel Air had a hope, but I believe they lost the Keesey's and Dave Thomas. They bring back the Sophomore attackman that earned first team all-county honors and Alex Pfau, but we're not sure what position he'll be playing. His freshman and sophomore season he played attack, but this past year he switched to defensive middie. Where that coaching move came from, no one's really sure. They had a fiery young goalie (sophomore or freshman i believe) that I'm sure cost them many games after fighting with Defenseman. If they had some kind of team unity, they might be a better team, but expect them at the gutter of the county.

FHS,

As a parent of a child who plays at Bel Air I will tell you that you don't know crap about Bel Air. If you are going to spout your mouth off at least be accurate!! Alex Pfau never ever played defensive middie. He played regular middie and attack (rest on attack and run second middie) last year. In fact a long pole ran for him. It was Louie Boyle, who was a sophomore, that was second in the county in scoring to your Mr. Bosse. The goalie was a freshman, who had a hell of a great year. We do lose Dave Thomas and Keesey (who did not play much of last year). From what my son tells me, we will be very young this year. I do know that 9 seniors graduated from the 11-4 year. I have been with the program a while and seen very positive changes and growth. But ultimately you need depth of talent not just a few very stong guys, you guys have depth of talent.

I agree with you about Mr. Bosse. He is an outstanding player!! Do you know where he is playing next year?? I have heard that Goedeke, who is an outstanding defensemen, is going to UMBC. You guys should crush the county this year and NH doesn't have a chance. They may keep it close for a quarter or even two but don't have the horses to keep up. Your week link is goal but you are always strong at middie and can control the ball. This is partly based on observations from my son. As I said earlier, my best wishes to Todd Rew.

Let's just try to be accurate and your statements weren't acurate at all!!!!

I re-read your post and the freshman goalie did anything but lose games for Bel Air. If you actually watched him against Fallston, in which I concede you crushed us, he kept us from worse damage and played a great game considering shots were point blank. I think they will be young this year but as always it is a crap shoot. Hopefully they will gel and have a good year. I think they are building good things over there and am very pleased with their coaching staff.

I saw the Bel Air goalie in some club tournaments and he does do a nice job. He is a for real goal keeper.

North Harford JV gave Fallston JV a great game last year. They have some kids coming. I wonder how many will get pulled up to Varsity.

Fallston will pull up Hannahs as a long pole middie and New as a defender. They will also pull up 2 goalies. Maybe the freshman Motley and 1 of the2 sophmores.

Sorry FHS Fan, my comments were for Fhslax9. Not long at all, I hope we get no more snow and it dries up and warms up.

I was on the field for the BA - Fallston game last season and the goalie imploded, causing the entire defense to implode. I was only speaking from what I saw. He often argued with defenseman about slides, weakening the defense early. Maybe this is a sign of a good leader, but instead of argueing, the kid should've talked to his defense.

As for Alex Pfau, again speaking from experience, he hardly played offensive middie against Fallston, and seemed to specialize on defense.

I've heard rumors about Bosse considering Salisbury, but he won't decide until later in the year.

Hannahs is a smart defenseman, and got action as a short stick d-middie on the Varsity team in the post season. He saw time on the wings of FO as well. He may start after Fallston has lost both short stick defensive middies to graduation.

New has GREAT size for a sophomore and I would expect him to be pulled up. Once he learns to control those long arms and legs, he could become a great defensive player for Fallston in the future. Don't expect him to see much action as Fallston brings back 3 seniors with a lot of experience.

Of course Boyle is going to be second in the county in scoring, he's the only legitimate scoring threat BA had. Bosse was surrounded by talent, with 5 of 6 offensive starters earning first or second team all county honors. Bosse promises to put on a show for every fan, expect a lot from him.

Rigdon can be covered by either one of our other two starting defenseman...both with lots of experience...great checks and and strong desire to win...goedeke is training hard in the off season... i would know.. i've lifted with him over the summer. Basketball should improve his feet and thrasher will find a force he can't comprehend. Maybe if he grows he'll have a chance...but right now goedeke makes him look like a boy among men.

Who do you plan on putting on bosse?

This post is pretty funny actually. Rigdon is a defenseman so how are you going to shut him down with defensemen? Alright now catch your breath. Thrasher was an All-County football player and was second in the county in interceptions. That alone shows you he's the man among boys. I'm not saying you don't have some talented players at Fallston but watch what you say, you're the only one on this board so far that can't comprehend the fact that Thrasher is the best attackman in the county. And as you said Cox can shut some players down, just fine but it will be more than one-- thanks for your concern. That said, Pedri won't even be working that hard if you can't get past the NH defense.

Bel Air should speak with their athletic director and hope to get a tougher schedule. They were undefeated going into the Fallston game, came in extremely confident, and got demolished. Players were so confident, they ran their mouths a little too much which ended up getting them hurt. They claimed that they would shut out Fallston and that Bosse was the only offensive player we had. Fallston caught word of this which lit an even larger fire under them. Sure they were 7-0 and Fallston was 5-2, but be careful what you wish for. I believe Fallston had shut them out in the first half. Weak schedules only build big heads, and lead to huge disappointments.

Maybe some of my facts are a little inaccurate concerning Bel Air, but I was right about the Freshman goalie, I was right about the imploding leading to even more mayhem on the BA defense, and yes Alex Pfau was often on the defensive end of the field. Maybe it was a substitution problem. I'm only speaking from my observations ON the field last year.

Thank you for admitting your innacuracies since midfielders do play offense and defense. I don't know about them running their mouths but that is often what kids do. I think last year our goalie was our strength on defense and our defense was very slow and got beat often. I am sure there was some communication problems, especially when frustration set in and probably some because he was only a freshman. I expect that after a year together that won't be a problem. I don't think there is a debate as to whether you were a stronger team, you should be since you have better talent and a better feeder program. Did you guys graduate much at defense? As I earlier stated, i know you have Goedeke back, who is the best defender in the county.Since you are best friends with Bosse, what schools is he looking at??

All in all Bel Air had a good year and hopefully will do better this year. Maybe they got crushed by you, which most teams in the county did, hopefully this year there will be improvement. I am not getting into a "pissing match" with a high schooler. I am here to talk about lacrosse.

How did you guys do against CMW?? Do you know how they will be?? We have discussed Bel Air, North Harford, and Fallston, but have yet to discuss them.

Hannahs is primarily a basketball player with great speed and quickness. He is becoming a great lacrosse player as well. I thought they would run him as a long pole this year, but, who knows.

New is a strong defender who has played the game a long time. He started on the Fallston JV basketball team this year to improve his footwork. We will see. Next year I expect to see these two on either side of the goal.

This post is pretty funny actually. Rigdon is a defenseman so how are you going to shut him down with defensemen? Alright now catch your breath. Thrasher was an All-County football player and was second in the county in interceptions. That alone shows you he's the man among boys. I'm not saying you don't have some talented players at Fallston but watch what you say, you're the only one on this board so far that can't comprehend the fact that Thrasher is the best attackman in the county. And as you said Cox can shut some players down, just fine but it will be more than one-- thanks for your concern. That said, Pedri won't even be working that hard if you can't get past the NH defense.

exactly where should i start with this one??

Ok so Rigdon is defense, my mistake. Sorry.

I'm not sure if you're aware, but this is the LACROSSE thread, not the FOOTBALL thread. If i cared about how well Thrasher can catch the pigskin, then I would have taken a look at that one. Stand Goedeke next to Thrasher, and you've got a MAN (Goedeke), next to a child. Goedeke towers over him at 6'4" at least. HE's the counties best defenseman, and there isn't a player on NH that will prepare Thrasher for him.

As for the Bosse - Thrasher comparison, I'm going to put an end to this argument now. Let's look at what Bosse has done. As a freshman, he made VARSITY at Calvert Hall, only to transfer because he didn't like it there. As a sophomore, Bosse LEADS the county in scoring. This was when Har Co had plenty of talent at attack with Drew Westervelt (UMBC) and Adam Wade (JuCo All-America). This earns him FIRST team all county honors. Junior year, Bosse LEADS the county in scoring AGAIN. Where was Thrasher on the list??? Bosse earns Harford County Player of the Year award!! Second Team All Metro!! Finally, and this one's really gonna prove it, HIGH SCHOOL ALL AMERICAN!!!!!!

Now lets take a look at Thrasher, although there isn't much to say. I don't know what he did his Freshman year, i honestly never heard of him. Sophomore year, the kid emerges and puts up good numbers, not spectacular... good. He didn't ever lead the team in scoring and didn't ever draw the teams top defenseman (i believe Mezz took care of that one). Finally, all county seemed to think he would be good enough for SECOND team, not FIRST... SECOND!!! All metro....pshh don't make me laugh. As for all-american....not even close. Sure he may be working hard in the off season, but as of now, every stat PROVE's bosse is the best attackman in the county.

There really is nothing more to say on that topic. End of Discussion. Seems to me like some NH player or fan (probably thrasher himself) trying to start an argument when one doesn't even exist! Get off it, Bosse's better, hands down.

As for Cox, your ignorance makes me laugh. Fallston will field 2 first team all county midfielders AT THE SAME TIME. How Cox will shut both down AT THE SAME TIME is beyond me, but shutting down two players that are on the same field is quite a feat. Kudos to him, cuz i'm fairly sure the last time that happened was NEVER.

Shots will be ripped upon Pedri because most of Fallstons offense is playmakers, they will find a way to shoot the ball. I hope that your game plan isn't to let your defense take the load off of your goalie, cuz besides Rigdon, who had an OK year and Cox, what else do you got?

Goedeke - best defenseman in the county hands down

Bosse - not too sure of recruiting schemes. I've heard he's not interested in UMBC, but they were heavily recruiting him. Rumor has it that Salisbury is in the mix.

CMW - bring back one of the Capallo bros at attack. Lose all county performers Middie Rob Bailey and Defenseman Burnham. Not sure about them otherwise this year. Bailey was a major factor in their scoring and Burnham was speedy and strong. Missing those two will be big. Not sure who's going to step up otherwise.

I'm not sure what Coach Parks has in store for his defense this year. I'm almost certain Nelson will be a factor, be it with a long pole or not.

I've known Dave and his family for years, his father was my coach early on in the rec. I'm glad to hear that he's working on his footwork, hopefully he's hitting the weights as well.

By the way, you'd be argueing with a college student, not a high school kid.

I don't care if I'm arguing with Casey Powell and this isn't Dean Thrasher or any of the players mentioned on this board. I didn't say that Cox can take down 2 All County players specifically, I just said he could handle more than one of your players when needed. Rigdon will prepare Thrasher, and if you don't agree then you've never seen Harry Ridgon on or off the field. Like I said before my collegiate scholarman, you have good players, I'm not arguing that, but so do we. You say I underestimate Goedeke and Bosse, well you're doing the same with our players. I know they are good but we have equal quality players to counter them. Mezz was the best attackman last year so it's no surprise he would draw the top defender, but now that Thrasher is the top attackman he will have a great year. My points on Dean (Thrasher) about football were to prove that he isn't intimidated and will have no problem standing up to Goedeke. I never said he would take him down for 7 goals or anything I just said Thrasher is a great player and if Goedeke lives up to your billing than it will be an even matchup. And you have to concede the fact the if Goedeke is that much bigger than Thrasher than he will surely be beat by pure speed on a few occasions. Now calm down I'm not saying Goedeke is slow and can't defend, but he won't be able to overpower Dean if he can't catch him once in a while. These aren't personal attacks, this is just a notice that NH can play too, I'll be here after they matchup win or lose.

somebodies backed off a little. I was simply refuting your point that thrasher is the best attackman in the county. Yes, thrasher is good, yes rigdon may be good, but not the best. No one's perfect, so goedeke may get beat, but you under estimate the speed he has. He's also got incredible strength and is getting bigger.

Guys,don't get too worked up with numerouNoH's stupid comments. His name is Brad Gerick from N.H. He's a golfer with no athletic ability, girls jv basketball team manager ( WOW ) and newspaper reporter. He thinks he's a know-it-all. He also makes false accusations in the school newspaper, and has students, parents and teachers really upset with him, especially over his last article. Prepare yourself Brad, the ceiling is falling on you fast. You want to report lies with no FACTS, you deserve what you get!

If you have something to say my AIM screen name is right there on the icon.