Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

put an aspirin in my battery??

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
25 replies to this topic

#1 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:48 PM

i went to check the mail today ...there was none ....yeah no bills ....but anyway ....when i was leaving the post office my car wouldnt start ...this very kind man helped me ....we got the car started with a jump ....(does that mean i need a new battery?)

anyway ...he says...i know a trick ...check your water level in the battery ...fill it up ...add one aspirin ...

could this be true ?? it makes me laugh ....

anyway ...the man was going to show me something in his truck .....and discovered he locked himself out....i took him home to pick up keys ...and back to the post office ...and he never did show me what it was about the aspirin ...

so ...what about aspirin in the battery?? not that i would try it as i have never heard of such a thing ....

#2 mythoughts

mythoughts

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,935 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:56 PM

http://www.ehow.com/...ry-aspirin.html

[quote]...before you call the tow truck or someone to come get you, there's a nifty little trick that just may allow you to start your car one more time. This will get help you get to the auto parts store and get a new battery.[/quote]

[quote]
Opening the battery and using the aspirin
Step 1 : Open your hood and check whether or not you need to remove the connectors to open the battery. You may not have to take the cables off, so check it out first.
Step 2 : Pop the top of the battery cell off with your fingers or a screw driver.
Step 3 : Drop two aspirin down into the battery. The chemical reaction should give you enough juice for one more start-up.
Step 4 : Put the top back on the battery and start the car immediately, don't wait around!

[quote]12 surprising uses for everyday aspirin.[/quote]
9) aspirin's acetylsalicylic acid may just save you one day when your car battery is dead and no one to is around to help. Dropping aspirin on the battery's terminals will create a reaction with it's sulfuric acid to produce a small charge just enough to get you to a service station.

#3 codenamemiki

codenamemiki

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,202 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

i went to check the mail today ...there was none ....yeah no bills ....but anyway ....when i was leaving the post office my car wouldnt start ...this very kind man helped me ....we got the car started with a jump ....(does that mean i need a new battery?)

anyway ...he says...i know a trick ...check your water level in the battery ...fill it up ...add one aspirin ...

anyway ...the man was going to show me something in his truck .....and discovered he locked himself out....i took him home to pick up keys ...and back to the post office ...and he never did show me what it was about the aspirin ...

so ...what about aspirin in the battery?? not that i would try it as i have never heard of such a thing ....

Batteries get headaches too ya know!:P

#4 DAISYDORIGHT

DAISYDORIGHT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 25,238 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:02 PM

It might mean you need a new battery....how old is it? Generally, if it says it will last 3 years, it lasts several months less than 3 yrs and so on, especially if a car sits out in the sun. It could also mean, you did something like left the lights on inside the car all night and it just drained it temporarily.

#5 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:07 PM

my thoughts ....i was just about to look it up ....just thought i would through it out there on OM ...

thanks ...i am not sure i will need it ...the car started right up when i got home ....

if it starts up tomorrow i will go into town and get a new battery ...if not i will jump it and go into town ...

fooling with the battery makes me a bit nervous ...

i dont know about even checking the water level ....i am not very good with cars ....

cnm ...only my car battery can get a headache ...not my double A's....ha!

#6 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Bloody Foreigner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:09 PM

Totally untrue Olive... Don't do it. Before I retired I was in the motor trade for most of my life and Battery import and distribution for the last 20 odd years, so believe me, that will only make things worse. Most probably your battery just needs a decent charge (off of the vehicle), if that solves your problem immediately, problem solved. If the problem happens again in a day or so then your alternator is most probably at fault or even (if you're lucky) just a loose fan belt. If the battery does not take a charge then of course there is your problem. A popular fallacy is that a bump start and a good drive will charge a flat battery, not true, in the days of dynamos yes but todays alternators cannot recharge a battery from flat, if you don't recharge it properly it will let you down again on the first cold/cool morning, if not sooner.

I hope this helps.
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

#7 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:10 PM

no daisy ...i didnt leave any lights on ....there has been a slight hesitation when starting the last few days ....

#8 NOTAGUNNUT

NOTAGUNNUT

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,514 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:13 PM

Totally untrue Olive... Don't do it. Before I retired I was in the motor trade for most of my life and Battery import and distribution for the last 20 odd years, so believe me, that will only make things worse. Most probably your battery just needs a decent charge (off of the vehicle), if that solves your problem immediately, problem solved. If the problem happens again in a day or so then your alternator is most probably at fault or even (if you're lucky) just a loose fan belt. If the battery does not take a charge then of course there is your problem. A popular fallacy is that a bump start and a good drive will charge a flat battery, not true, in the days of dynamos yes but todays alternators cannot recharge a battery from flat, if you don't recharge it properly it will let you down again on the first cold/cool morning, if not sooner.

I hope this helps.

Good information.

------------------------------------------

Taxation. Inch by inch, it's a cinch.

[SIGPIC] [/SIGPIC]

The Democratic party... Blame you can believe in!

dude: you gonna vote?

Me: yeah but not for Obama.

dude: you racist bro?

Me: No, I just dont like Democrats.

dude: Whats a Democrat?

#9 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:18 PM

wkd....thanks ....i just thinks its time for a new battery ...but i have a phone call into someone that might have a charger ...i will try that ...but wont feel comfortable using that car until i remedy the problem ...

how will i know if its the alternator ....can they check that or do i just buy a new battery and see if that works ....i am very dense about cars ...

the apirin for a battery gave me a charge ......heheeeeee

#10 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Bloody Foreigner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:27 PM

wkd....thanks ....i just thinks its time for a new battery ...but i have a phone call into someone that might have a charger ...i will try that ...but wont feel comfortable using that car until i remedy the problem ...

Don't throw your money away if you don't have to, quality batteries can last up to 10 years, typically 5-7... ;)

how will i know if its the alternator ....can they check that or do i just buy a new battery and see if that works ....i am very dense about cars ...

I simple voltmeter across the battery terminals while the motor is running will tell you. A voltage of 13.5v to 14.5v is ideal, below 13.5v the battery will discharge above 15v the batter will overcharge. the ideal voltage range should read the same with out a load and with the lights and wipers on.

the apirin for a battery gave me a charge ......heheeeeee

Save the aspirin for yourself... lol.

#11 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:43 PM

wkd ....thanks so much for the info ...when the fellow calls about having a charger i will ask if he has a voltmeter ...

mahalo~

#12 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 10:43 PM

well ....the fellow i called was no hope and didnt give me a lot of confidence ...he went back and forth on whether its the alternator or the battery and then he told me where ever i take the car will just tell me the most expensive thing will need to be fixed ....sheesh ...

this is why i dont like cars ...

what to do ....what to do .....

#13 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 11:07 PM

i forgot to mention that the fellow told me it could also be my starter ....

i was going to go to sears to buy a battery ....but maybe i should just take the car to the dealer ....

what to do ....what to do ....

hi there wavy baby ....

#14 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Bloody Foreigner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:50 AM

i was going to go to sears to buy a battery ....but maybe i should just take the car to the dealer ....

hi there wavy baby ....

Go to the dealer and get the battery and alternator checked, it is a simple five minute job, you shouldn't even be billed (I didn't use to). Then if it's the battery, buy one at your local auto accessory store, anyone with a spanner can fit it. ;) Anything else, get the dealer to do it.

#15 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 12:52 PM

wkd ...thanks ....i do know what a spanner is ......giggles

#16 a_ponderer

a_ponderer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,425 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:16 PM

OO - A "spanner" in Anglo-speak means a wrench...

the apirin for a battery gave me a charge

Just don't swallow a battery instead of an aspirin. :D :D :D

[I'll stop right here before I get into trouble...]

#17 thinking_man

thinking_man

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 24,197 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 04:54 PM

A dealer will charge you the most money. Bank on that.

It appears to me you need to ask around. I would find it hard to believe that you can't find a decent service station that will give you good service and won't rip you off.
Trust me, they are around and can do almost anything a dealer can do for a lot less.

The one I go to could have ripped me off a few times during the years.

#18 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:07 PM

i kind of figured the dealer will charge more ...but thats where i have decided to take the car ...its under warranty and not being sure what the problem is...i just think its best ...

i may be wrong ....i just dont like having to deal with this kind of stuff ...

#19 Olive

Olive

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 12:14 AM

well ...one of the dog walkers ...came over with a voltmeter and checked my battery ...it registered low and then he charged it up ...tomorrow he is taking the battery out and going to buy me a new one ...

yippie!

#20 WKDWZD

WKDWZD

Bloody Foreigner

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,460 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 06:18 AM

well ...one of the dog walkers ...came over with a voltmeter and checked my battery ...it registered low and then he charged it up ...tomorrow he is taking the battery out and going to buy me a new one ...

yippie!

Excellent news! Why let the dealers get rich out of a very simple diagnostic check. ;) :D

Go Olive... :)