Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BASEBALLAH

Harco baseball 09

920 posts in this topic

cmw will have a lineup to score 4-6 runs a game just enough to win because of their pitching... they have devecchio who is a very good contact RBI type of guy and is clutch markey who shows power from both sides of the plate ronnie who despite not playing summer or fall this year should come back nicely and be able to get on base gilley will be able to get on base and should lead the team in SB halsey will hit poole will hit Phillips if he plays has pro style power but will need be a consistent hitter clow who is a streaky type of player and will be a key to help teams pitch to markey and devecchio so as i said before i think cmw will take it bel air will be right behind him and fallston will be in it but will not be able to hold on

This "discussion" over whether certain HS pitchers can throw the ball 81,or 83, or 84 and how this relates DIRECTLY to how "good" a pitcher they are is terribly interesting but, quite frankly, how hard a player throws is NOT an indicator as to how good a pitcher he is.

A pitcher's job is keep a hitter off balance and unsure of where, when, and how hard a pitch is to be thrown. Certainly throwing hard is part of the equation as it gives the hitter less time to make up his mind as to whether or not to swing.

The point is.....let's not get too caught up in judging pitching skills solely on how hard these kids throw. The two starters in last years 4A championship game were throwing in the high 70's to a high of 81. I was sitting with a friend of mine from Dulaney HS who had his gun with him.

Fallston should field another solid team and make a run for the county title.

They will, arguably, have the best outfield in the county. The infield will be solid with some of 2008's outfielders moving to the infield. Catching will be solid. They'll have at least five quality pitchers ( Lozzi, Knudsen, Nelson, Manns, Weinhold ). They lost some good bats from last year, but, will still generate enough offense.

It will be interesting to watch how the players react to having a new coach for 2009.

Good luck to all!

Fallston does have the best outfield but there infield is bad other than first base. Who's up the middle and who's at third. I hear it's two jv kids from last year up the middle. Hollman and Jackson who aren't great defenders. And i hear Nelson might play third and he's a natural outfielder. And as far as 5 good pitchers go...this isn't the majors. you don't use 5 pitchers. you use 3 at the most. and their top three isn't spectacular by any means.

Nelson is good bat, but, not a natural outfielder. He could be best used and developed at third. Hollman has the arm for short and Jackson is a good athlete. The fielding will work itself out. They'll be able to make the routine plays with no problems.

Oh yes, I never heard of a team having too much pitching being a problem.

I guess when you play three games a week you need complete games out of all three pitchers???You need depth at pitching during the season but I will agree that come playoff time, you are only as good as your ace. Fallston will have the solid depth but as far as a true ace, that is yet to be determined.

Also, to be a successful D1 pitcher you better throw in the low to mid 80's at least. And that is if you have nasty stuff to go with. Its hard to get a look if not. College hitters are too good if not.

baseballfan28

My comments were not meant as a knock on Markey. I've never seen the young man play. What I was trying to say is that there are many pitchers out there with some very strong arms that you've probably never heard of. Last year my sons team lost to LaPlata in the 3a state championship.They thru a kid named Michael Boyden who we never heard of.He cruised in the upper 80's all night with a nasty breaking ball all with great control. I believe he will be playing at George Washington University.You would be surprised how many times you see kids and parents say how this player throws mid to upper 80's yet when you put a gun on them they barely hit 80. I don't think people realize how fast a 85 mph and up fastball really is. If this player is cruising in the mid 80's he should do very well if he has decent control.

sptsnt00

I agree with your post about changing speeds to keep a batters timing off, but there is a big difference between a low 80's pitcher with good command compared to a high 80's touching 90 pitcher with good command of all his pitches.A good hitter who can keep his weight back will hit a pitcher with low velocity alot better than a pitcher with a live arm. There is a reason all those college and major league scouts carry those radar guns.

Also I think any pitcher or parent of a pitcher who would like to see how they rate as a prospect should attend a Perfect Game event. You will get a accurate reading on your arm strength and will also see how you compare to other pitchers across the country. My son attended one before his sophmore year and we were very impressed with some of the players. Anyway it's good to hear people starting to talk baseball. Good luck to all the players as they train for the upcoming season.

Banditsbb

baseballfan28

sptsnt00

I agree with your post about changing speeds to keep a batters timing off, but there is a big difference between a low 80's pitcher with good command compared to a high 80's touching 90 pitcher with good command of all his pitches.A good hitter who can keep his weight back will hit a pitcher with low velocity alot better than a pitcher with a live arm. There is a reason all those college and major league scouts carry those radar guns.

Banditsbb

And that point is valid. The real reason college and pro scouts carry radar guns is because command is obvious, but speed is not. This thread was involved in discussing ONLY speed. NO mention of any of those pitchers ever mentioned their command. Couple that with the fact that the debate ranged NOT from low 80's to low 90's, but from high 70's to low 80's.

I also understand that most coaches take the hard thrower over the soft thrower, command not withstanding, figuring they can teach command. I think they do a disservice to those kids who have great command of 4 or 5 pitches while throwing 5-10 MPH slower than a kid who throws 90+MPH, but has no clue.

That was my point. Now that the discussion has come around. Anybody who's seen Markey or Devechio have any comments on their command, mound presence, etc.?

Just came back from a camp/showcase where a 6 foot 6 inch left hander was throwing 85 mph. He had trouble throwing a strike and in a simulated game he walked 3 or 4 kids in one inning.

But, There sure was a lot of coaches and scouts that spoke with him.

College coaches and scouts look at kids such as this as having a huge upside. They figure a kid like this will get stronger and with the right coaching will get his mph higher. Also, being a left hander will definitely attract this kind of attention.

And that point is valid. The real reason college and pro scouts carry radar guns is because command is obvious, but speed is not. This thread was involved in discussing ONLY speed. NO mention of any of those pitchers ever mentioned their command. Couple that with the fact that the debate ranged NOT from low 80's to low 90's, but from high 70's to low 80's.

I also understand that most coaches take the hard thrower over the soft thrower, command not withstanding, figuring they can teach command. I think they do a disservice to those kids who have great command of 4 or 5 pitches while throwing 5-10 MPH slower than a kid who throws 90+MPH, but has no clue.

That was my point. Now that the discussion has come around. Anybody who's seen Markey or Devechio have any comments on their command, mound presence, etc.?[/QUOTe

Markey throw a few miles an hour faster but devecchio has 5 good pitches for strikes and he has alot of movement on everything. He has good control and mixes pitches and changes speeds. He's near unhittable when on. Markey throws harder but not as much movement. He does have very good control. Sometimes he falls in love with his fastball and get hit beat up sometimes when he does but when he uses his curve ball and changeup he's nearly unhittable. As far as fallston goes sure they have 5 pitchers and that's great but in high school i'd rather have 3 outstanding pitchers that 5 good pitchers. And Hollman does have a strong arm but he even struggles with the easy play. He's never really been a shortstop. Jackson is a good hitter and athlete but not a true secondbasemen. Nelson can hit the ball but he's also not a natural thirdbasemen.

The only way to truly test pitchers like Markey and Devecchio ( or any pitcher for that matter ) would to put them in a college level league over the summer and see how they make out.

As far as who plays where at Fallston, there will be some kids playing in different positions due to the overall make up of the team. For example, Jackson is a good hitter and will play somwhere. And, that will probably be some place in the infield.

Cmw 1)Delvechio

2)Markey

Fall 1) lozzi

2) nelson

ba 1) nadolny

2) houston?

Nh 1) adams

2) ?

Tech 1) neukum

2) west

i heard there was a transfer from GA attending NH this year that has a rocket arm..

be on the look out, it is said he was apart of the little league world series team 4 years ago.

expect giant numbers from this kid.

jack mihoff

from what i'm hearing from cmw at third base it looks like ryan corn and bob ruse are going to be in the mix for third base and as far as pitching depth goes, after devecchio and markey they have sam o'hare, bob ruse, john poole, tyler yudisky, and andrew clow is also a pretty good pitcher that can be used in relief. He throws hard . That should be enough depth to get them through the season for sure.

no doubt cmw will be fine this year. However i believe the gap between them and the rest of the county will be closing quickly.

I agree. Although next year CMW will be very strong again, maybe even better, but in 2011 i don't see a whole lot past ruse and clow.

I've been reading these posts and cant believe the negativity towards fallston. True, they may not have that block head back up first basemen that jacked all those dingers but theve got plenty of raw talent coming up.

Fallston will be good. They just have some question marks so i think they'll finish third. Regardless to what alot of people say Harford county always has some good baseball and it will be the same this year, very competitive.

Where are the future players of Tech, CMW-Hickory and Fallston coming from since the rec/travel programs that support them have really wane of late and the future for these program that support most Harford County High School baseball teams looks very grim?

It appears that Patterson Mill maybe the future of Harford County baseball because they have a lot of kids available to them since Emmorton Rec still plays baseball.

what makes a good high school team is not the number of rec/travel players a school has. It's the amount of Metro type of players. And the rec leagues are stacked in the 5-10 ages and after that they move on to metro. The other aren't going to make that much of an impact anyway. And why does everyone think that Hickory and CMW are nearly the same thing. CMW's better players every year are not from Hickory.

examples of kids not from hickory rec and who are some of the top players on cmw

markey

zeberlien

devecchio

clow

just to name a few