Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BASEBALLAH

Harco baseball 09

920 posts in this topic

what makes a good high school team is not the number of rec/travel players a school has. It's the amount of Metro type of players. And the rec leagues are stacked in the 5-10 ages and after that they move on to metro. The other aren't going to make that much of an impact anyway. And why does everyone think that Hickory and CMW are nearly the same thing. CMW's better players every year are not from Hickory.

Rumors over the years have indicated that if you are not from the Hickory program your chances at making the team are reduce no matter what your metro team is or was.

the key word you used there was rumor. It probably started from a parent whose kid didn't make the team and they needed an excuse. There weren't any Hickory players that started on varsity last year that i know of.

mostly every parent makes an excuse when their kid gets cut and they try to the school's program down with them a perfect example would be the cmw hickory situation... which is not true by the way... but most of the time the team is usually chosen before tryouts with a few exceptions that is just how our society works

can anyone even name a player that started for cmw in the state championship game that plays hickory baseball?

does any of this really matter?

lets just get back to baseball and not wher people came from

which by the way Pmill does not have the future of high school baseball whoever said that

which by the way Pmill does not have the future of high school baseball whoever said that

i must say i agree with this 100 percent

you are a genius

Travel teams have slipped a lot in Harf - only recently though... the teams that will be 15U next year are pretty close, but the change seems to have happened right there. The Hickory travel team that tried to move up to metro for 13Us last year got killed. Unfortunately, the best metro players are going to MIAA, and not staying in Harf. It is a shame JC does not recruit for baseball - they could have had the whole Sox team, which is stacked to the max. Their incoming freshman class is weak, except for one or two good players - not the way to follow up on a good freshman class the year before. Good luck to all the teams in the spring!!

It was I who said that. The question is where the future players in the county coming from are. There are only 2 possible sources now in the county and they are both looking weaker than in previous years.

When is a baseball team from Harford County ever going to win another state High School baseball championship? There does not appear to be a pipeline in the county to feed Harford schools with players to do this. Are there any teams in the county that have a real shot right now to win a title?

The only school that has a pipeline of type is maybe Patterson Mill. CMW/Hickory could if they allowed talent from outside of Hickory a chance to compete without any stigma from not coming from Hickory recreation.

T800 you get dumber by the second. CMW and Tech both have legitimate chances of winning in this year as they both were runners up last year. And CMW doesn't get their players from Hickory. Sure there are some Hickory kids in there like there are fallston rec kids on fallston but a majority of the team at CMW come from outside of Hickory and all of the good ones aren't from Hickory, it's a fact. It's the same with alot of schools. And i doubt the whole 15 U sox team woulda went to JC if they recruited them. If they had any interest of going there they would. It doesn't matter if they recruited them or not. Believe it or not but most kids would rather go to a public school with their friends then go to a private school with strict rules just so they can play for a team that's "supposed" to be better for 3 months out of the year. That's the biggest load of crap i've heard. And why does it matter how good a kid is when they're 13 years old or so anyway.....Hickory baseball has always been a joke in the travel league, but what do ya know CMW always manages to put a good team on the field. And Tech's supposed "pipeline" is Emmorton which is supposed to be the better travel league around, but other than last years recent success Tech has been a joke. So i don't by into a "pipeline" when these kids are playing rec in 11-12. It really doesn't matter. So can we stop talking about who's going to be good 15 years from now when according to you people baseball won't even be a sport in Harford County anymore. THanks!

Tech is 2 time defending region champs and 2 outs away from winning 4 out of last 5. Almost won state championship. They might not have the big name players some other schools have, but i wouldn't consider them a joke or lucky. They match up year after year with the HARCO big boys and if I'm correct, they won't move down again this year.

......And why does it matter how good a kid is when they're 13 years old or so anyway.....Hickory baseball has always been a joke in the travel league,.......

Agreed on the first note. Some (not all) of the kids at the 12U and 13U level are "head and shoulders" above the rest simply on physical maturity. Let's hold off on annointing the 13U Sox as the '27 Yanks just yet. Yes, they're good and have some quality players, and yes, they're big....bigger than most of the other 13U metro teams.

On the second note, I'll have to vehemently disagree. The current 16U and 15U Hickory clubs have essentially played together since they were 11 or 12. BOTH clubs have been in the top half of their divisions in the MABA consistently, in fact causing the MABA to not allow a Hickory team to enter as a D2 team. Last year's 13U metro team that "got killed" was one out away from beating the "vaunted" Emmorton team to go to the Ripken World Series, and in fact, beat that team 5 out of 8 times during the year. One time by a score of 26-9, at 8AM the morning after driving home from Cooperstown. That 12U Hickory team won the HCTB regular season and handily won the HCTB Summer Classic. In addition to that, some of the players, and an assistant coach from the 12U team that didn't go metro had a very competitive travel season in their own right, playing as a 13/14 team in the BCML.

While I have no idea how many Hickory grown players play on the CMW varsity team, if there aren't any, it's NOT because the Hickory travel program is a "joke".

I have question. I have seen, on more than one occasion, the assertion that Harford Tech is essentially Emmorton Rec. With the fact that Tech is a 100% magnet school, has no "feeder" schools, and draws from all of Harford County, why would Emmorton be considered Tech's farm program?

Is it because there's some sort of "thing" between the coach/s at Tech and Emmorton?

Is it coincidence that the good Emmorton kids end up at Tech?

How many Emmorton kids are on the Bel Air team?

I have question. I have seen, on more than one occasion, the assertion that Harford Tech is essentially Emmorton Rec. With the fact that Tech is a 100% magnet school, has no "feeder" schools, and draws from all of Harford County, why would Emmorton be considered Tech's farm program?

Is it because there's some sort of "thing" between the coach/s at Tech and Emmorton?

The reason is that most of those emmorton kids live in edgewood and didnt want to go to edgewood. So tech was the alternative.

emmorton kids on BA include:

Gentry

Lapouraille

Nadolny

Campbell

Carnaggio

Schmitt

there may be more not sure but thats quite a few

who cares who played where when.

i agree with you 100% i was just goin with the flow of this conversation which doesnt matter at all

why cant we just talk about whats goin to happen in the upcoming season

ok, I'll start with JC is going to be better than folks think. There's a new sense of urgency to get the male sports to be successful.

this could be i know they have:

Wolfe

Eisner

Hockaday and im not really sure who elsebut those are 3 quality players to help them out

who cares who played where when.

I do, and so did the two posters who responded to my question, which relates directly to Harford County Public School baseball. Thank you both, by the way, your answers make sense.

Obviously, the rec programs and the Harford County metro teams feed into HCPS system no?

Isn't the quality of play at the 13/14 year old level in any particular rec council an indicator of how that HS MAY do in the upcoming season/s?

In addition, by using this method, we end up discussing teams in more general terms rather than discussing any individual player/s by name in either the positive OR the negative.

i agree with you 100% i was just goin with the flow of this conversation which doesnt matter at all

why cant we just talk about whats goin to happen in the upcoming season

Uhhhhh.....because you can use the health of a particular rec council to help guage the quality of talent at that HS?

Thanks for the responses, and I thought Harco Baseball included the one private school also. The point I was making is that while the older travel teams are very good [ thanks sptsnt00 ], the younger ones do not resemble the older ones. Hickory Metro " got killed " to the tune of 1-28. I felt sorry for them, and the Emmorton team would not have done any better. I am sure they will all get to play in HS regardless. The Sox are only the 27 Yankees by comparison - you never know who will get better, but if we are talking about HS, then incoming freshmen definitely relate. And recruiting does mean a lot to some parents, as it is an indicator of seriousness in a program, otherwise, no one would go all the way to CHC or AC...... thanks to everyone for keeping it positive and supporting the kids.

Thanks for the responses, and I thought Harco Baseball included the one private school also. The point I was making is that while the older travel teams are very good [ thanks sptsnt00 ], the younger ones do not resemble the older ones. Hickory Metro " got killed " to the tune of 1-28. I felt sorry for them, and the Emmorton team would not have done any better. I am sure they will all get to play in HS regardless. The Sox are only the 27 Yankees by comparison - you never know who will get better, but if we are talking about HS, then incoming freshmen definitely relate. And recruiting does mean a lot to some parents, as it is an indicator of seriousness in a program, otherwise, no one would go all the way to CHC or AC...... thanks to everyone for keeping it positive and supporting the kids.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how to break up this quote, I'm an idiot....oh well.

I'm not sure if you're referring to my response to the poster who said "Hickory has always been a joke in the travel program" or not, but that was why I outlined those teams. PLUS, they're the teams that would indicate PAST ("always") performance from that program.

I am also intimately aware of the shortcomings of the 13U Hickory metro team. Some good talent that probably wasn't prepared to play at that level. It was actually worse than 1-28. With tournaments, it was closer to 1-40, give or take, but who's counting.

As for the now 14U Sox and incoming freshmen, I would definitely agree that's where those players are developmentally and in baseball skill (talent) level. However, some of those very big incoming freshman studs may well fall back to the pack (as juniors or seniors) as the rest of the incoming freshmen develop physically. That was my point.

As for the recruiting aspect. Heck, if mY kid was an infielder with the Sox and AC was offering me a gig to keep a VERY successful metro quality infield together in HS.....I'm in. Who wouldn't at least explore this?

If you are a smart high school baseball coach, you should be really concerned with who your feeder programs are. You don’t have a lot of control of what local metro teams feed your baseball program but if you want to build a program and grow the sport even you should be cognizant of what is happening with your local Rec programs and local Travel programs.

The baseball coach for example at Fallston should be concerned with helping the Fallston rec and travel program as much as possible by helping them market baseball to boys or help the baseball program raise money. Maybe by sending some of the High School players down to the programs to foster interest in baseball, you can convince some good potential athletes to choose baseball over soccer or lacrosse. The county just loses too many potentially good high school baseball players around 12 and 13 to other sports.

That Hickory team did have some decent baseball players. The problem I believe is that they were lacking some of the fundamentals of the game that should of been taught to them somewhere along the way. I hope those kids from that team get a fair shot at the CMW/Hickory team if that is their district.