Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

phesman77

Anne Arundel County Boys Basketball 08-09

852 posts in this topic

Old Mill competed in the best Summer League in Maryland (The ROCK). Schools included Dematha, St.Frances, St. John's. Gonzaga etc, and they held their own taking St. Frances with it's top players into overtime before falling by five (5) in a great summer league game. They also performed well in the Laurel Fall League. Their top eight are tough, not ten or eleven deep like last year, but they will compete with anyone in AAC. Arundel also competed in the Rock League. We'll get our answers to who are the best teams in the next two months or so! Fun time of the year!

Top Five in no particular order but if I had to rank them I might put Glen Burnie at the top:

Old Mill

Glen Burnie

Annapolis

Arundel

Southern

Sleeper - Meade

Teams at the start of a rebuild/reload/whatever you call it - Broadneck, Severna Park and North County

Nothing to see here - Northeast, South River, Chesapeake

I read somewhere on digital sports that GB won their sumemr league so I think that means they should be real good. Plus someone mentioned Annapolis got a couple of transfers to an already solid team, therefore they should be good. I dont really think SP will be very good other than they do have the county's best player.

They won St Paul's summer league.

And what would be everyone's top five to start the season???

annapolis old mill glen burnie arundel broadneck wild card meade and southern

No disrespect to ya bneck but dat summer league was like a jv league but the season kicks off in a couple of days so GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS..

No disrespect to ya bneck but dat summer league was like a jv league but the season kicks off in a couple of days so GOOD LUCK TO ALL TEAMS..

None taken. Nothing really matters for anyone until the season starts.

3 out of the last 4 AACO championships have been won by Old Mill. What has happened that they're not at the top of the list this year.

Annapolis has some transfer help & they could challenge for the title.

Anyone have any scrimmage scores from any games that have been played yet? I might be ahead of them so pardon me if I am.

First day for AACPS is tomorrow. Can't play in a game like situation until at least 5 days of practice. Scrimmage scores cannot be reported and usually aren't very accurate. Besides some schools haven't finished with cuts into the first scrimmage.

First day for AACPS is tomorrow. Can't play in a game like situation until at least 5 days of practice. Scrimmage scores cannot be reported and usually aren't very accurate. Besides some schools haven't finished with cuts into the first scrimmage.

Thanks Old School. Also, you would have to think that anyone who plays basketball and is still playing football is going to be behind the rest of the squad.

phes how good do you think broadneck can be this year? I feel like they have a lot of solid players that played small roles last season but no for sure go-to guy.

Thanks Old School. Also, you would have to think that anyone who plays basketball and is still playing football is going to be behind the rest of the squad.

Actually the football players that are returning basketball players aren't hurt that much in that they pretty much know the system that the coach runs. It's more making that transition from football and getting their basketball conditioning and timing together. If a school has a new coach or is implementing a new scheme, then they will be behind. Doesn't really matter for JV a lot of those kids are going to be new anyway and most aren't playing football at the varsity level. I wonder how many coaches are going to be running Dribble Drive (Memhis) and Read and React this season. Those are the two most talked about offenses since the NCAAs.

phes how good do you think broadneck can be this year? I feel like they have a lot of solid players that played small roles last season but no for sure go-to guy.

I talked to one of the assistant coaches last week at the North County football game and he said we should be pretty darn good. We do have a solid bunch of players that return from last year and an outstanding freshman who is supposed to be dunking all over already. However, im not sure if we are going to have anyone as a go to guy but if we play as a team and have everyone involved in the offense, I see no reason why that is going to be a problem. One thing I know, there will be no JJ b.s. in the middle of the season this year. I would definately put us in the top five preseason. Even after we lost JJ last year, we still played pretty good and had Old Mill on the run for most of the regional semi-final last season. But well see as this season progresses.

Question for everyone. What holiday tournaments are on the slate for this season and who is playing in them?

Southern hosts Kent Island Calverton and Oakton VA.

Broadneck is playing at South River with AACS and Hammond

But North County is looking actually really good this year with a few solid transfers such as chris wheeler a chris paul like point guard and jordan diggs a very aggresive scorer and a really good returnig shooter in ronald fisher so hey are a big three that every team is gonna have to worry about

What is everyones preseason top 5 and why??

Mine is:

1. Old Mill, Won the county championship last year so they are my number 1 until they get knocked off

2. Arundel, lost alot but also return some good players i like them to be better then most think this year.

3. Severna Park, They have Bald who will win them several games this year by him self

4. Glen Burnie, Had a off year last year for their standards but return a good big guy and a deadly shooter

5. Annapolis, They seem to always lose alot but still be a very good team and they do have the best coach in the area

Sleepers: Meade, Southern

1. Old Mill speed,speed, speed

2. Glen Burnie if they can solve the point guard position they have shooter in rudd and post in murphy

3. Severna Park

4. Annapolis

5. Arundel

6. Meade

7. Broadneck

8. North County

9. South River

10. Southern

11. Northeast

12. Chesapeake

from things Ive heard this past weekend, Im under the assumption that GB did get another big kid. If the kids that left Spalding are at Annapolis as ive heard, they have to be the favorites, with GB right there. I know the Bald kid from SP is real good but what else do they have that everyone keeps ranking them high?

from things Ive heard this past weekend, Im under the assumption that GB did get another big kid. If the kids that left Spalding are at Annapolis as ive heard, they have to be the favorites, with GB right there. I know the Bald kid from SP is real good but what else do they have that everyone keeps ranking them high?

I dont think SP really has anyone to back up Bald talent wise so, IMO, they arent any where near the top five and have work to do this season. Dont get me wrong, Bald is going to have a good year trying to carry the load for the Falcons. And what is the deal with kids leaving Spalding? Problems?