Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Guest rurdy

Is it OK to use your EZ-Pass in a rental car?

32 posts in this topic

I just don't remember if part of the EZ-Pass rules was that you could only use it with the car you registered.

The rental car is just an option if I don't want to use my car and turn in mileage.

I just don't remember if part of the EZ-Pass rules was that you could only use it with the car you registered.

The rental car is just an option if I don't want to use my car and turn in mileage.

No. Turn in the toll reciepts and get reimbursed. Can you turn in your EZ Pass statement.

I get every red cent from the company.

I tried to use mine in a rental truck but when I crossed the bay bridge the light did not go green as I passed through. Went on the EZ pass web site and added the rental truck vehicle tag to my transponder ID and within a week the toll showed paid on my account.

Then I deleted the rental truck tag number.

I tried to use mine in a rental truck but when I crossed the bay bridge the light did not go green as I passed through. Went on the EZ pass web site and added the rental vehicle tag to my transponder ID and within a week the toll showed paid on my account.

Then I deleted the rental truck tag number.

I drive in rental cars very frequently. I can assure you that the addition of the rental car vehicle tag had nothing to do with the toll paid. It was paid when you drove through.

I drive in rental cars very frequently. I can assure you that the addition of the rental car vehicle tag had nothing to do with the toll paid. It was paid when you drove through.

Well, in the Transponder/PlateNumber column on the Transactions View, instead of the transponder, I saw the Rental Truck's tag number, so no, it was not paid on my transponder when I drove through.

no, it is not OK

if you use your EZ-Pass in a rental car, they will hunt you down, whisk you away, place you on an unmarked white plane, and fly you to some backwater country, where you will be tortured by being forced to watch endless re-runs of Alice

Well, in the Transponder/PlateNumber column on the Transactions View, instead of the transponder, I saw the Rental Truck's tag number, so no, it was not paid on my transponder when I drove through.
Exactly. The only problem with using the EZ-Pass in an unregistered vehicle is if the transponder doesn't register.

Btw, I like your trick. :)

You probably held up the transponder too late. You have to hold it up to the window approximately one half a football field so the transponder can be recognized. If you do this, you won't have a problem.

You probably held up the transponder too late. You have to hold it up to the window approximately one half a football field so the transponder can be recognized. If you do this, you won't have a problem.

I did, but some vehicles have windshields with enough RF attenuation to require the transponder to be mounted outside.

I've heard the exact opposite. My friend accidentally switched his and his wife's EZ pass and he was fined by the EZ Pass people for having it in the wrong car.

Maybe it's who offers them? I have mine through the state of NJ, his are through the PA Turnpike.

Edit: The website I use says this:

Can I use my tag in other vehicles?

Yes, you may transfer a tag between vehicles as long as they are of the same vehicle class. There are penalties for using a tag in a different vehicle class (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).

I've heard the exact opposite. My friend accidentally switched his and his wife's EZ pass and he was fined by the EZ Pass people for having it in the wrong car.

Maybe it's who offers them? I have mine through the state of NJ, his are through the PA Turnpike.

yea, ours is special employment system set up.

EZ pass is assigned to your bank account, not the vehicle.

We switch the one we have back and forth depending what car we take

on travels. Tolls are paid either way.

Not exactly. There's more to it. Again, you can (and should) specify a number of vehicles that you can use with that transponder (or account), so that you don't get a notice in the mail about a violation when the transponder doesn't register.

This has happened to me a number of times already, since the EZ-Pass system is far from "perfect".

Also, if I ever forget my transponder (or my wife has it), I just run right through the EZ-Pass lane anyway, since the plate is recognized as being on my EZ-Pass account.

I did, but some vehicles have windshields with enough RF attenuation to require the transponder to be mounted outside.

This is true. The one for my wifes Navigator and the one for my F250 had to be mounted on the front license plate.