Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B-BALL-FAN

MD Girls AAU - 2007

894 posts in this topic

Since the high school season has ended, how about some discussion on the top teams this upcoming AAU season.

Last year's regional champs were:

9U - Cougars

10U - MYBA Wildcats

11U - Ravens

12U - Waves

13U - Columbia Hawks

14U - Cougars

15U - Hurricanes-Coughlan

16U - Cougars

Any surprises in store this season? Teams combining, players going to other programs, etc. that would change the balance of power? Or can we expect the teams noted above to repeat? Are any of these teams poised to make noise at the national level? If so, which ones?

Since the high school season has ended, how about some discussion on the top teams this upcoming AAU season.

9U - Cougars

10U - MYBA Wildcats

11U - Ravens

12U - Waves

13U - Columbia Hawks

14U - Cougars

16U - Cougars

Any surprises in store this season? Teams combining, players going to other programs, etc. that would change the balance of power? Or can we expect the teams noted above to repeat? Are any of these teams poised to make noise at the national level? If so, which ones?

Waves- Nobody within 15 pts of this team in Region . 2 nice recent pickups make this a race for 2nd place . Nice showing this weekend with wins over the Flames and Fairfax Stars (loss to the Vogues)

93 Waves will continue to dominate in this area.I believe they picked up Akilah, the hired gun, which is nice. I don't see them being competitive on a national level. They win because they play well together but they're not deep and they will be exposed when they see some real comp. I'd have them play up in every tournament except the district. If not, they're wasting time. The Lady Tigers should be the next best. Edgewood Rams could challenge but I hate watching them. Poor sportmanship from the top down. I'd like to see if any of Carter's Waves scatter. Overheard some parents at one of the games and it is a possibility. The sleeper team could be the Comets. The big girl is coming into her own and their guards are fiesty.

92 (14u) is wide open. The Lady Lions have their core of Logan, Craig and Bristow plus the twin tall girls. They picked up Stevenson, the point guard from Western and the Comets. She'll add depth. They'll be tough again. Coach Tully has taken over the reigns and I would not be surprised to see them make a run at another state title. They did lose the redhead shooter.

MYBA is weakened. They got rid of the coach who took a couple of players with him to the Hurricanes. Don't know what they have.

Columbia Cougars- They lost Dixon and Joy who were the inside players for them and they were tough. They still have the guards who can jack up some shots and score points.

Baltimore Cougars- Taft is staying put for now. Don't know that they have added anyone else who will elevate them from mediocre.

The Ravens are back with Harlee and a new coach. I loved how coach Betsy got that team to overachieve. They won't sneak up on anybody this year though.

Starz have their whole core back. Hawkes can get 30 any time. The other two guards can fill it up too. I heard they picked up the post player from Western who was with the Comets last season. She had a solid season for Western. Could be a breakout summer for her. I think they picked up Janay Brinkley too. She might play up though. This kid is from Spaulding and played for the Crusaders in PG county last year. She is the truth. 5'7" and can shoot, pass, handle and defend. Was injured for some of the high school season.

Lady Comets lost a couple of players but they still have Hutchen inside, a decent point who is out with an acl injury, and Dukes who can shoot the rock.

The Elite have Tiffany Taylor who is explosive but still needs some work. They won't be able to compete for a top 3 spot.

The Waves and Sharks are always tough but I don't know of any new players or if their core is back.

Need help with the other age groups.

9U - Cougars

10U - MYBA Wildcats

11U - Ravens

12U - Waves

13U - Columbia Hawks

14U - Cougars

16U - Cougars

94 - Ravens - won't be stopped this year. The main competition from last season split up. Everyone is playing for 2nd place. Watch for the Cougars and Wildcats. Selby (Cougars), Williams (Wildcats), Conley & Kelly (Ravens). The coaches will be more entertaining than the games. Sureshots will have a few problems this year losing a couple of players. Ravens & Cougars in Championship game. Ravens will continue to do well at Nationals. Sweet 16 again.

93 - Waves - will continue their reign as champs. Lady Tigers & Comets will battle it out for the runner-up position. If Carter Waves stick together they could place. Rams are done. I think that the Waves will do considerably better at nationals this year then in past. Akilah pushes them to the next level. I like the Comets & 93 Waves in Championship.

92 - Hawks became the Cougars so they lost the seeding, losing the post players they won't recover, Ravens - overachievers - fall back to earth, Comets - going to have problems replacing lost talent. Starz -can you say upgrade - They may have a few surprises this year. Lady Lions - bringing back everybody plus some, the addition of the player from the Comets is an upgrade from the redheaded girl. I wonder what lucky seeded teams are going to get the Cougars/Hawks or the Lady Lions in their pool. Lucky them. Lady Lions & Starz in Championship . Depending on brackets.

91 - Cougars - Ain't no stopping them now . Sureshots & Charm are going to make it interesting as they do each year but Cougar continuity continues. Cougars & Charm in Championship.

90 - Canes & Magic - for the last time. Everyone else is playing for D2 hopes. Depending on who switched teams the remaining teams are about the same.

92 - Hawks became the Cougars so they lost the seeding, losing the post players they won't recover, Ravens - overachievers - fall back to earth, Comets - going to have problems replacing lost talent. Starz -can you say upgrade - They may have a few surprises this year. Lady Lions - bringing back everybody plus some, the addition of the player from the Comets is an upgrade from the redheaded girl. I wonder what lucky seeded teams are going to get the Cougars/Hawks or the Lady Lions in their pool. Lucky them. Lady Lions & Starz in Championship . Depending on brackets.

The aau website has the 4 seeded teams as: Hawks, Ravens, Comets and MYBA. I wonder if the Cougars get the seed. They shouldn't but I don't know the rules.

92 Ravens are back, they return the entire team with almost every player significantly improved. Don't look past the, it would be a mistake.

Bob Mallory has dropped down to start all over with the 96's, they looked pretty good last weekend beating a 11U wildcats team and a good DC heat 10U.

Since AAU nationals are at the same time as all the major exposure tournaments this year (Blue Chip, End of Oregon Trail, etc) Canes will probably stick with the exposure tournaments, So someone else might have a chance to go to nationals this year.

Edgewood Rams - poor sportmanship from the top on down!!!! :rolleyes: Please give me a break. I have never seen Coach Mackey display poor sportmanship at any of the games he has ever coached and this man has been coaching for a long time. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and I know of a lot of other people (coaches included) that feel the same way. I challenge you to name just one time where you saw him display poor sportmanship and be specific no generalizations please. If you are going to slander someone's name and reputation, please make sure you have the facts right first.

93 Waves will continue to dominate in this area.I believe they picked up Akilah, the hired gun, which is nice. I don't see them being competitive on a national level. They win because they play well together but they're not deep and they will be exposed when they see some real comp. I'd have them play up in every tournament except the district. If not, they're wasting time. The Lady Tigers should be the next best. Edgewood Rams could challenge but I hate watching them. Poor sportmanship from the top down. I'd like to see if any of Carter's Waves scatter. Overheard some parents at one of the games and it is a possibility. The sleeper team could be the Comets. The big girl is coming into her own and their guards are fiesty.

92 (14u) is wide open. The Lady Lions have their core of Logan, Craig and Bristow plus the twin tall girls. They picked up Stevenson, the point guard from Western and the Comets. She'll add depth. They'll be tough again. Coach Tully has taken over the reigns and I would not be surprised to see them make a run at another state title. They did lose the redhead shooter.

MYBA is weakened. They got rid of the coach who took a couple of players with him to the Hurricanes. Don't know what they have.

Columbia Cougars- They lost Dixon and Joy who were the inside players for them and they were tough. They still have the guards who can jack up some shots and score points.

Baltimore Cougars- Taft is staying put for now. Don't know that they have added anyone else who will elevate them from mediocre.

The Ravens are back with Harlee and a new coach. I loved how coach Betsy got that team to overachieve. They won't sneak up on anybody this year though.

Starz have their whole core back. Hawkes can get 30 any time. The other two guards can fill it up too. I heard they picked up the post player from Western who was with the Comets last season. She had a solid season for Western. Could be a breakout summer for her. I think they picked up Janay Brinkley too. She might play up though. This kid is from Spaulding and played for the Crusaders in PG county last year. She is the truth. 5'7" and can shoot, pass, handle and defend. Was injured for some of the high school season.

Lady Comets lost a couple of players but they still have Hutchen inside, a decent point who is out with an acl injury, and Dukes who can shoot the rock.

The Elite have Tiffany Taylor who is explosive but still needs some work. They won't be able to compete for a top 3 spot.

The Waves and Sharks are always tough but I don't know of any new players or if their core is back.

92's are totally up for grabs.

Ravens will be strong again...good coaching and shooters but pressure can hurt them. Don't see top two for them but maybe 3 or 4.

Comets have some good coaching but the players losses(defection and injury) will hurt them. I heard they picked up a strong guard, big girl.

Lions have some strong talent,(Logan-great athlete, Tasia-playmaker and Ahley- defense) no depth. Logan is arguably the player with the most potential along with Harlee, in the region. The loss of the redhead will hurt them, she along with Logan was the best all around player right now, smarts, shooting, ball handling, poise was tremendous. Tully is an upgrade in coaching. May win here, but Natonal noise will be minimal.

The Waves are going through a lot of changes. Coaching and player mass changes. Never were that good. Now will be bad.

Sharks may make a move. My Howard County contact says they picked up a couple but, no surprise for HC, most of the team are serious lacrosse players. Not even sure they will play in States. They have a couple nice players though. If some other teams picked them up could be great additions.

Starz will make some noise although one player can't do it all. They really haven't gotten better. I don't think Janay is coming. Coaching isn't the best.

Baltimore Cougars are the sleeper team. Now the old Hawks minus Dixon. Joy may still be on board. They add some nice players with Shannon's recruiting and should be strong top 2 with Lions. If Taft stays look out.

Tiffany Taylor needs to change teams. She had a solid Freshman year but needs to change to get the development she needs. Will be strong addition and one of the best "free agents".

Edgewood Rams - poor sportmanship from the top on down!!!! :rolleyes: Please give me a break. I have never seen Coach Mackey display poor sportmanship at any of the games he has ever coached and this man has been coaching for a long time. I have nothing but the utmost respect for him and I know of a lot of other people (coaches included) that feel the same way. I challenge you to name just one time where you saw him display poor sportmanship and be specific no generalizations please. If you are going to slander someone's name and reputation, please make sure you have the facts right first.

I watched his team play this winter. They were playing against some team from Aberdeen and lost in overtime. His players, mainly the point guard, talked trash and taunted the other team when they were winning or when she scored.

After they lost, Edgewood didn't line up to shake the other teams hands which is a tradition. Instead, they ran to center court and started doing some crazy dancing. The coaches never said a word.

The teams played again in Bel Air in the tournament. He brought it Akilah to improve their odds. The game was close for a half but Edgewood went up by about 19 with like three minutes left. He had emptied his bench but then put them back in and kept telling them to press until the final buzzer. I think they won by about 30 but it was uncalled for. I know some Harford county coaches and he's been doing this for years. They were ultimately disqualified from the tournament for using illegal players. Don't bother responding because I'm not going any further with this.

94 - Ravens - won't be stopped this year. The main competition from last season split up. Everyone is playing for 2nd place. Watch for the Cougars and Wildcats. Selby (Cougars), Williams (Wildcats), Conley & Kelly (Ravens). The coaches will be more entertaining than the games. Sureshots will have a few problems this year losing a couple of players. Ravens & Cougars in Championship game. Ravens will continue to do well at Nationals. Sweet 16 again.

93 - Waves - will continue their reign as champs. Lady Tigers & Comets will battle it out for the runner-up position. If Carter Waves stick together they could place. Rams are done. I think that the Waves will do considerably better at nationals this year then in past. Akilah pushes them to the next level. I like the Comets & 93 Waves in Championship.

91 - Cougars - Ain't no stopping them now . Sureshots & Charm are going to make it interesting as they do each year but Cougar continuity continues. Cougars & Charm in Championship.

90 - Canes & Magic - for the last time. Everyone else is playing for D2 hopes. Depending on who switched teams the remaining teams are about the same.

94s - good assesment

93s - no way Comets make it to the end. Agree Akilah, if true, will make Waves much bigger threat at Nationals. Carter's team will struggle, no Joy and needs staff to help with coaching.

92s - Ravens will still be strong. Players got great minutes in high school, they come in ready, pressure hurts them. Starz I don't think are going to have all the surprises you think JMO, I could be wrong. Lions with Tully are strong, but redhead loss big, maybe not here because there are only a few strong teams, but would help at Natonals. No Comet's guard is in her league. You are dead on with the seedings. Seeds will have hands full with non seeded teams.

91's - Cougar's to lose. Will definitely be Charm with them in Championship. Sureshots had chance to add but didn't and lost coaching as well.

90's - What else is new

Bob Mallory has dropped down to start all over with the 96's, they looked pretty good last weekend beating a 11U wildcats team and a good DC heat 10U.

Unless his daughter from McDonogh is playing than they won't be beating Cougars or Tigers. They will be playing for 3rd at best. Coach M's dominance has come and gone.

I'm not going back and forth with you on this either, but I will state the facts.

+ Coach Mackey was not at this game

+ It was Aberdeen that went to the middle of the floor and did their victory cheer and dance.

+ Coaches in Harford County have the utmost respect for Coach Mackey

+ Your information about the Harford County Tournament is incorrect

Unless his daughter from McDonogh is playing than they won't be beating Cougars or Tigers. They will be playing for 3rd at best. Coach M's dominance has come and gone.

Sportsguru

I think you better see this team before you start making predictions. :D

92's are totally up for grabs.

Ravens will be strong again...good coaching and shooters but pressure can hurt them. Don't see top two for them but maybe 3 or 4.

Comets have some good coaching but the players losses(defection and injury) will hurt them. I heard they picked up a strong guard, big girl.

Lions have some strong talent,(Logan-great athlete, Tasia-playmaker and Ahley- defense) no depth. Logan is arguably the player with the most potential along with Harlee, in the region. The loss of the redhead will hurt them, she along with Logan was the best all around player right now, smarts, shooting, ball handling, poise was tremendous. Tully is an upgrade in coaching. May win here, but Natonal noise will be minimal.

The Waves are going through a lot of changes. Coaching and player mass changes. Never were that good. Now will be bad.

Sharks may make a move. My Howard County contact says they picked up a couple but, no surprise for HC, most of the team are serious lacrosse players. Not even sure they will play in States. They have a couple nice players though. If some other teams picked them up could be great additions.

Starz will make some noise although one player can't do it all. They really haven't gotten better. I don't think Janay is coming. Coaching isn't the best.

Baltimore Cougars are the sleeper team. Now the old Hawks minus Dixon. Joy may still be on board. They add some nice players with Shannon's recruiting and should be strong top 2 with Lions. If Taft stays look out.

Tiffany Taylor needs to change teams. She had a solid Freshman year but needs to change to get the development she needs. Will be strong addition and one of the best "free agents".

There are 2 Cougar teams and Taft is not joining the Columbia group. Her team will be average. Joy was recently with the Waves but they weren't happy with that situation. He told me they weren't joining the Cougars but that was in the winter, things change.

Comets might have gotten Melanie who was with the Charm's 91 last year. Starz have more than one player. Tiffany is staying with the Elite but I agree that it's a mistake.

No team from this age group will make noise at Nationals.

There are 2 Cougar teams and Taft is not joining the Columbia group. Her team will be average. Joy was recently with the Waves but they weren't happy with that situation. He told me they weren't joining the Cougars but that was in the winter, things change.

Comets might have gotten Melanie who was with the Charm's 91 last year. Starz have more than one player. Tiffany is staying with the Elite but I agree that it's a mistake.

No team from this age group will make noise at Nationals.

Why can't any our 92 teams make noise? If two or three teams make D1, there are plenty of other players that can join a core team and make some noise. So far I've heard Starz, Cougars, Comets, Lady Lions, Ravens...somebody won't make it and will have the chance to add good depth to a solid core. Not to mention standout players from other non-qualifying teams. If we pool our resources any one of these teams could make some noise.

Why can't any our 92 teams make noise? If two or three teams make D1, there are plenty of other players that can join a core team and make some noise. So far I've heard Starz, Cougars, Comets, Lady Lions, Ravens...somebody won't make it and will have the chance to add good depth to a solid core. Not to mention standout players from other non-qualifying teams. If we pool our resources any one of these teams could make some noise.

I agree but politics will get in the way. Nobody wants to loan out players for fear they won't return. There is tension between some organizations so that never helps. I heard division one for 13U last year was super competitive so it will be tough even if our best players go.

Didn't know the 94 Ravens were that good.I'd like to know more about them.Are they mostly Loch Raven area girls or do they draw from all over . I'm gonna have to try and catch some of there games. Any info??

I agree but politics will get in the way. Nobody wants to loan out players for fear they won't return. There is tension between some organizations so that never helps. I heard division one for 13U last year was super competitive so it will be tough even if our best players go.

It is the 5 players who play together the best. Just look at last years results. The 93 Waves demonstrated it by beating the East Coast Elite team in the MagNbl ;eague. At the high school level winning at nationals is about your talent executing. The Lady Magic (PV) are the National Champs, that is the stick you measure by. They have a tournament at the end of the month. Who is going?

The 92 level is the direct results of the explosion in growth of AAU girls basketball in 2001 - 2002. If you look back you will see that 92 age group has been the largest group beginning with 10u year. There are talented players on all the teams thus giving parity. Keep it real -to win you basically want to have 8 Legit strong players ( 3 bonafided ( PG, Post, Scorer), 5 good, solid varsity level role players), 4 bench players ( must be strong practice players capable of giving top players a push or specialist ( real tall but raw, defense, 3 point shot, etc)

Didn't know the 94 Ravens were that good.I'd like to know more about them.Are they mostly Loch Raven area girls or do they draw from all over . I'm gonna have to try and catch some of there games. Any info??

The Ravens have 3 very strong players ( Aleaze, Tucker, Raymond) - they are able to power the team past everyone around here. They have had reasonable success at nationals in the past at 10u & 11u - 9th & Sweet 16.

I am hearing that the Waves and the Sureshots should contend for the title in this age group.Coach Bach has the Waves ready to play.:D

It is the 5 players who play together the best. Just look at last years results. The 93 Waves demonstrated it by beating the East Coast Elite team in the MagNbl ;eague. At the high school level winning at nationals is about your talent executing. The Lady Magic (PV) are the National Champs, that is the stick you measure by. They have a tournament at the end of the month. Who is going?

The 92 level is the direct results of the explosion in growth of AAU girls basketball in 2001 - 2002. If you look back you will see that 92 age group has been the largest group beginning with 10u year. There are talented players on all the teams thus giving parity. Keep it real -to win you basically want to have 8 Legit strong players ( 3 bonafided ( PG, Post, Scorer), 5 good, solid varsity level role players), 4 bench players ( must be strong practice players capable of giving top players a push or specialist ( real tall but raw, defense, 3 point shot, etc)

You make good points. I still see it being difficult to add players to the teams who make nationals. I wish the coaches would get together and work something out but time constraints make it hard.

The Lady Majic have an awesome system and a coach who is possessed. They have reloaded and have even more talent. They are tough mentally. I can see them repeating. The Flames have added some players from the Jaguars so they will challenge too. It's great having national level teams so close. The Majic tournaments are off the hook. Teams from all over came last year. The Starz, Comets, Lady Lions and Ravens will all be there again this year. Not sure about any other teams so far.

The redhead that played with the Lady Lions will not be missed that much. I think you all are overstating her value. The Lady Lions won 3 straight district championships without her and lost when she was on the team. So why is it that they will miss her so much? I think the redhead was over at Mt. Hebron, while the other Lady Lions were winning at Western, DH, City and St. Francis.

The Ravens players have improved, but so have all the other girls in the area. There were a lot of freshmen that made Varsity and improved their games.

I agree, most of the Regions best players will stay home. The talent in this region is to divided amongst average teams. The age group is weak as far as national teams not necessarily national caliber players. But teams/players/coaches will never get together to compete nationally. Although some teams can compete without a strong post (i.e. Flames) at fourteen it starts to move from a guard dominated game to one that becomes more half court , post priority games. The best "post" players in the age group around here may be better suited facing the basket(i.e. Logan, Harlee, Bach, Dixon, etc) So I think at Nationals, without the cooperation of other organizations, the Region Champs will be limited at the Big Dance.