Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B-BALL-FAN

MD Girls AAU - 2007

894 posts in this topic

The Lady Majic are a great team but this year the Flames are very good also. They opened the PV AAU season last weekend at Bethesda Checy Chase HS. It was U14 to U16 teams and the talent was unbelievable. The Flames and the Majic went toe to toe, great game with two great teams! Team Sol has a good team this year, alot of speed and a new coach. The Classics have a good team with great size along with the Fairfax Stars and Vogues. The Lady Majic tournament at the end of the month will be a good measuring stick for everyone! The 92s are the explosion year of AAU and it will be good to see both regions playing each other to get ready for Salem, Va. It is going to be a great tournament, I understand they have 16 national U92 teams registered.Wow!

I got some games in this weekend at the Battle of the Capital. Nice facility. We need one in Baltimore.

Some observations from just walking around game to game.

Saw the 93 Waves against a team from Philly and they were getting hammered on the boards. They were down like 20 something late. I don't know how they did in their pool, maybe Mfrazer can help me out. I saw Akilah on the bench but I didn't see her on the court. How is that working out for them so far? The 93 Comets are a team to watch. I wish I could have seen more but there were other games I wanted to check out.

The Starz 16U has a nice backcourt shaping up. Hicks looked good running the point, making nice passes and the girl Janay Brinkley is solid. She might struggle against better comp since she's playing 2 ages up. I watched them beat Team Sol but they weren't that good. The post play was not great but they have coach Mcdonald from DH so he'll get the most out of them.

The 14's- There was a nice pool with MYBA, Team Sol and the Lady Lions in it. MYBA beat the Lady Lions, the Lions beat Sol and then Sol beat MYBA. MYBA surprised me. They're tough and have decent coaching but not much size.

The Lady Lions struggle with post play but the guards are good and Asia Logan has added that jumper to her game.

She looks very confident out there. The Starz were in a pool with the Lady Majic and the New York Elite. I watched the Lady Majic-Starz game and I was surprised the Starz were able to go toe to toe with them. They looked well prepared and those guards can fill it up. They handled the Majic pressure and the big girls they have held their own for a while. The Majic went up 20 in the 2nd half but they were able to cut it in half. The final was 67-54. Entertaining game.

The Cougars were in it as well. I thought it was the Columbia version but it was actually the other team. They have picked up some big bodies and they played pretty well against a New York team. One of the coaches told me they are playing in the Boo Williams too so I'm glad they are picking up the comp level for that team. They have them playing hard and they might make some noise. I wish I could have stayed to see who ended up winning.

I got some games in this weekend at the Battle of the Capital. Nice facility. We need one in Baltimore.

Some observations from just walking around game to game.

Saw the 93 Waves against a team from Philly and they were getting hammered on the boards. They were down like 20 something late. I don't know how they did in their pool, maybe Mfrazer can help me out. I saw Akilah on the bench but I didn't see her on the court. How is that working out for them so far? The 93 Comets are a team to watch. I wish I could have seen more but there were other games I wanted to check out.

The Starz 16U has a nice backcourt shaping up. Hicks looked good running the point, making nice passes and the girl Janay Brinkley is solid. She might struggle against better comp since she's playing 2 ages up. I watched them beat Team Sol but they weren't that good. The post play was not great but they have coach Mcdonald from DH so he'll get the most out of them.

The 14's- There was a nice pool with MYBA, Team Sol and the Lady Lions in it. MYBA beat the Lady Lions, the Lions beat Sol and then Sol beat MYBA. MYBA surprised me. They're tough and have decent coaching but not much size.

The Lady Lions struggle with post play but the guards are good and Asia Logan has added that jumper to her game.

She looks very confident out there. The Starz were in a pool with the Lady Majic and the New York Elite. I watched the Lady Majic-Starz game and I was surprised the Starz were able to go toe to toe with them. They looked well prepared and those guards can fill it up. They handled the Majic pressure and the big girls they have held their own for a while. The Majic went up 20 in the 2nd half but they were able to cut it in half. The final was 67-54. Entertaining game.

The Cougars were in it as well. I thought it was the Columbia version but it was actually the other team. They have picked up some big bodies and they played pretty well against a New York team. One of the coaches told me they are playing in the Boo Williams too so I'm glad they are picking up the comp level for that team. They have them playing hard and they might make some noise. I wish I could have stayed to see who ended up winning.

That was not a good game for the Waves vs the #4 team in the country. However , we rebounded nicely against the #5 Jersey Hawks leading the whole game only to lose at the end by 3 in part because we as a team missed some free throws down the stretch and they made theirs. The growth the coaches were looking for was evident in that 2nd game. We came second in our pool to that Mid Atlantic Elite team you saw in the morning. Concerning Akilah , she AND her mother have been a pleasure. She works hard ,is coachable and has been a great teamate to the girls she has played so hard against in the past .All Akilah wants to do is WIN and improve her game .

That was not a good game for the Waves vs the #4 team in the country. However , we rebounded nicely against the #5 Jersey Hawks leading the whole game only to lose at the end by 3 in part because we as a team missed some free throws down the stretch and they made theirs. The growth the coaches were looking for was evident in that 2nd game. We came second in our pool to that Mid Atlantic Elite team you saw in the morning. Concerning Akilah , she AND her mother have been a pleasure. She works hard ,is coachable and has been a great teamate to the girls she has played so hard against in the past .All Akilah wants to do is WIN and improve her game .

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that Philly team was so highly ranked. They play well together. The Lady Majic people really pull in some good teams for their tournaments.

Playing the number 4 and 5 teams in the country on the same day is good work for one tournament. I saw parts of the New York Elite-Lady Majic 14's and it looked like a college game. The Elite have the 6'5" girl who is solid and we know how stacked the Majic are. The Majic handled them by about 15.

You must be off playing Lax or baseball this time of year, because all the REAL BALLERS know that AAU ball is when the real season begins.

You tell um 206.What about a Waves vs Sureshots 95 girls matchup?;)

There is another big tournament in that area this weekend too. The Fairsax Stars tournamet of Champions. The 16U/17U bracket is loaded with Fairfaxstars Nike elite (UNC commits Shegog and Broomfield,) Philly Belles (UCONN commit Doty) Comets (Delle Donne) among many others. Also top two local teams Hurricanes-Coughlan (Green, Parker) and MD Magic (Bussie, Williams). It should be good.

How did the local teams do? Haven't heard anything about the Magic but I heard the Hurricanes had a tough weekend.

Where are the Waves playing the next two weekends?

Where are the Waves playing the next two weekends?

Why , do you have a 6'2 daughter that would like to join us?

Off Easter weekend..Double secret scrimmages vs Tennessee and Rutgers leading up to States

Why , do you have a 6'2 daughter that would like to join us?

Off Easter weekend..Double secret scrimmages vs Tennessee and Rutgers leading up to States

Unfortunately no. Wanted to see the team, but since games and practices are closed to the public :confused: we will have to see them in states. Good Luck!

How did the local teams do? Haven't heard anything about the Magic but I heard the Hurricanes had a tough weekend.

Coughlan Hurricanes went 3-0 and looked very good.

Howell's Hurricanes were another story...they should be embarrassed about how they tried to fool the tournament organizers into believing they were the top Hurricanes team, then ended up completely overmatched.

How about the Magic with Bussie/Bj/etc

How can you fool a prestigious organization like the Fairfax Stars…please. How many teams were in the tournament from the Hurricanes and did all the teams know each other would be in this tournament. When you register ONLINE (can’t fool a computer) there is not a space on the form that asks the teams “are you the top team in your organization”? I don’t think the Stars view any Hurricanes team as an elite team I think they view the Hurricanes as a good organization. If a Hurricane’s team were elite, they would be sponsored and you would definitely know the coach’s name . Howell’s team got blown out 3 out of the 4 games, but they played the top 4 teams in the country… most teams would have gotten blown out. If some one told me my team was playing the top 4 teams in the country I would play them with no hesitation. Who wouldn’t want to play against Elana Delle Donne (Comets) one the top juniors in the country or Shenog (Fairfax Elite) on her way to North Carolina, or a team (Philly Belles) where the 5 starters are going to major D-1. If you got to lose you might as well lose to the best. People said those girls played their hearts out and not one coach complained about their competitive spirit. They got a chance to play the best 08 has to offer. I don’t think they should be embarrassed about anything. There are over 100 teams who would love to have been in those girls losing shoes that weekend…and B-Ball Fan, you sound like one of them..

How can you fool a prestigious organization like the Fairfax Stars…please. How many teams were in the tournament from the Hurricanes and did all the teams know each other would be in this tournament. When you register ONLINE (can’t fool a computer) there is not a space on the form that asks the teams “are you the top team in your organization”? I don’t think the Stars view any Hurricanes team as an elite team I think they view the Hurricanes as a good organization. If a Hurricane’s team were elite, they would be sponsored and you would definitely know the coach’s name . Howell’s team got blown out 3 out of the 4 games, but they played the top 4 teams in the country… most teams would have gotten blown out. If some one told me my team was playing the top 4 teams in the country I would play them with no hesitation. Who wouldn’t want to play against Elana Delle Donne (Comets) one the top juniors in the country or Shenog (Fairfax Elite) on her way to North Carolina, or a team (Philly Belles) where the 5 starters are going to major D-1. If you got to lose you might as well lose to the best. People said those girls played their hearts out and not one coach complained about their competitive spirit. They got a chance to play the best 08 has to offer. I don’t think they should be embarrassed about anything. There are over 100 teams who would love to have been in those girls losing shoes that weekend…and B-Ball Fan, you sound like one of them..

EASY BIGRED......

Talk to the Hurricanes organization and see what they say about the whole deal....the folks on this board do know which one is the REAL Hurricanes team -- check previous messages all over this board...six or seven D-1 prospects sounds to me like THE elite team in the Hurricanes organization...

To be clear - my comments did not question the girls competitive spirit, nor did I suggest that the girls should be embarrassed. I'm talking about the adults involved, at least one of whom misled the Fairfax Stars into believing that his team was the Hurricanes team that had success at the national tourney last year...bottom line, they weren't and it showed last weekend.

(By the way, there's a reason that the real Hurricanes team has been invited to participate in the Elite Bracket at Boo Williams in two weeks...but I guess you hadn't bothered to consider that.)

Enjoy the games.

Bigred,

Please tell me what a team gets out of going to a tournament and losing by 50-60 points, just so you can say we played against Delle Donne, Doty or Sheggog. Does that make your team better? Not to mention the fact that those teams came along way to play some COMPETITIVE GAMES to prepare for the upcoming big tournaments, not play games where the game is over ten minutes into it. If you ask any of those coaches, they will tell you that they were expecting to play the real Hurricanes NATIONAL Team (Couglan) because they know the games would have at least been competitive. The Hurricanes Coughlan is not an elite team made up with players recruited from all over the counrty, but they are a very good national travel team that can COMPETE with just about any team in the country. Another thing Bigred. How does that make the organization look ? When you have a team that has somewhat made a name for itself and the organization on a national level (Coughlan) then another team (Howell) comes and claims to be a national team and they lose by 50 points? Please tell me how that does anything for the team or the organization!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bigred,

Please tell me what a team gets out of going to a tournament and losing by 50-60 points, just so you can say we played against Delle Donne, Doty or Sheggog. Does that make your team better? Not to mention the fact that those teams came along way to play some COMPETITIVE GAMES to prepare for the upcoming big tournaments, not play games where the game is over ten minutes into it. If you ask any of those coaches, they will tell you that they were expecting to play the real Hurricanes NATIONAL Team (Couglan) because they know the games would have at least been competitive. The Hurricanes Coughlan is not an elite team made up with players recruited from all over the counrty, but they are a very good national travel team that can COMPETE with just about any team in the country. Another thing Bigred. How does that make the organization look ? When you have a team that has somewhat made a name for itself and the organization on a national level (Coughlan) then another team (Howell) comes and claims to be a national team and they lose by 50 points? Please tell me how that does anything for the team or the organization!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was told by a coach the Hurricanes had a rough time, obviously he was talking about the wrong team. If I was coaching one of the elite teams coming down to play I would be upset. At this juncture in their career they want to avoid blowouts and certainly didn't travel to play the 'B" team which I know any team in the Coughlan age group would be. It doesn't matter how good or what the intentions are of the other teams, Coughlan's team is clearly, without question the best team. Once scheduled the girls got to play who is on the court with them but it takes away from the Hurricanes Organization and from the tourney itself. We want the National Elite Teams to come our way but when this happens it hurts those efforts.

Didn't either Hurricane Team notice when the schedule came out? Couldn't it have been switched around a couples days before?

Wasn't there a 3rd Hurricanes team as well? I know they aren't elite but they have some nice local players as well. Any idea how Rosemonds team did?

Didn't either Hurricane Team notice when the schedule came out? Couldn't it have been switched around a couple days before?

Yes, they found out in advance -- the bottom line is it takes two parties to make a deal and, according to the story circulating, one man's ego got in the way of so many teams having a much more productive weekend..

Didn't either Hurricane Team notice when the schedule came out? Couldn't it have been switched around a couples days before?

They did find out in advance but it takes two parties to make a deal. According to the story circulating, one man's ego got in the way of so many girls (from the Hurricanes and the visiting teams) having a much more productive weekend. Just another case of the adults messing things up for the kids.

By the way, I seriously doubt the girls who were losing 61-16 at halftime of one of the games were thrilled just to be playing one of the country's best teams.

All can say is good luck at Boo and I will be there watching the scores hopefully no one will get blown out.

All can say is good luck at Boo and I will be there watching the scores hopefully no one will get blown out.

LIKE 61-16 @ HALF!!! ARE YOU SERIOUS? maybe they need some south river girls.BETTER THEN YOU READING THE SCORES,I'LL GIVE YOU A FIRST-HAND RECAP.

They did find out in advance but it takes two parties to make a deal. According to the story circulating, one man's ego got in the way of so many girls (from the Hurricanes and the visiting teams) having a much more productive weekend. Just another case of the adults messing things up for the kids.

By the way, I seriously doubt the girls who were losing 61-16 at halftime of one of the games were thrilled just to be playing one of the country's best teams.

I agree...it isn't a positive for either team. How could one man's ego displace so many? Who is in charge of the Hurricanes? Or is that the man being mentioned? Sounds like the "B" team didn't want to give in to recognizing that the wrong Hurricanes team was scheduled. Very selfish, clearly took advantage of Coughlan's(Team) reputation.

I agree...it isn't a positive for either team. How could one man's ego displace so many? Who is in charge of the Hurricanes? Or is that the man being mentioned? Sounds like the "B" team didn't want to give in to recognizing that the wrong Hurricanes team was scheduled. Very selfish, clearly took advantage of Coughlan's(Team) reputation.

"The man" is associated with the B (or maybe its the C) team. He certainly was not acting in the best interest of the Hurricanes organization.

How can you call a team Nucci or Lilley are on a "B "or a "C" team. The Hurricanes do not work like the Fairfax Stars. The Fairfax Stars have one big tryout for one age group and you pick an A ,B ,or C team based on the skill level of the players. The Hurricanes teams are all individual teams there is no A, B, or C. For example you definetly have players on Rosemond's and Howell's team who are clearly better than players on Coughlans Team. Who told you you were the A team...please. Until you have open tryouts and select the best players you will always be just "Hurricanes-Coughlan" You will see at Boo just how elite you are.

How can you call a team Nucci or Lilley are on a "B "or a "C" team. The Hurricanes do not work like the Fairfax Stars. The Fairfax Stars have one big tryout for one age group and you pick an A ,B ,or C team based on the skill level of the players. The Hurricanes teams are all individual teams there is no A, B, or C. For example you definetly have players on Rosemond's and Howell's team who are clearly better than players on Coughlans Team. Who told you you were the A team...please. Until you have open tryouts and select the best players you will always be just "Hurricanes-Coughlan" You will see at Boo just how elite you are.

Three members of Coughlan's squad were first-team All-Met; five others were first or second team All-County.

That's their top 8- how's that compare with the other squads?

And how come the others weren't even invited to Boo Williams?

Please...

Although I agree Nucci and Lilly are very good/great players, it is because of the rest of the players on their team and their inability to stay within 15 points of Coughlan's team makes them a "B" team. Their are many secondary teams of organizations that have a player or two who are better than a player or two on the primary team.

It really comes down to this - It doesn't matter where you see yourselves as a team, I hope you are confident and want to play the best, but you took advantage of Coughlan's rep. Ask those teams which team they thought they were playing. It does matter what others think especially when it involves a tourney and teams clearly thinking they are playing Coughlan's team.