Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

B-BALL-FAN

MD Girls AAU - 2007

894 posts in this topic

I am not talking about 8 players I am talking about your whole team. So the 3 or 4 who didn't make anything could they be replaced with Nucci or Lilley they made first team. You can not say you are an A team based who made first or second team. Example Nucci and Liiley made first team Randolph made honrable mention who would be the A Player and who would be the b (maybe c) player. All I am saying it takes more than you just saying you are an "A "team to be the A team especially when you have "A "players on those other teams.

"Invited to Boo"... last time I checked you just need to pay your tournament fees, Anybody can play in the tournament. Now the level you play Sponsored, Select , or Open that's another story. But If those other teams wanted to play in Boo they could have.

How can you call a team Nucci or Lilley are on a "B "or a "C" team. The Hurricanes do not work like the Fairfax Stars. The Fairfax Stars have one big tryout for one age group and you pick an A ,B ,or C team based on the skill level of the players. The Hurricanes teams are all individual teams there is no A, B, or C. For example you definetly have players on Rosemond's and Howell's team who are clearly better than players on Coughlans Team. Who told you you were the A team...please. Until you have open tryouts and select the best players you will always be just "Hurricanes-Coughlan" You will see at Boo just how elite you are.

I'm not the smartest person in the world, but I would assume that four consecutive Maryland Regional Championships might just qualify Hurricanes-Coughlan as the A team within that particular "Hurricanes" age group. Call me crazy, but I'll go out on a limb with that assumption. Also, most readers probably already assume, you are incorrect about the Fairfax Stars having "one big tryout for one age group." They recruit talent from the area just like Hurricanes Coughlan has done to make well-rounded, balanced, successful teams.

"Invited to Boo"... last time I checked you just need to pay your tournament fees, Anybody can play in the tournament. Now the level you play Sponsored, Select , or Open that's another story. But If those other teams wanted to play in Boo they could have.

You're hilarious -- you know what I meant -- invited to play in the same bracket with the other elite teams from across the country, in front of the top college coaches.

By the way, you're getting drummed on this board as bad as Howell's team got drummed last weekend...

Yes the Fairfax Stars have one big tryout. Yes, Fairfax has an idea about who they want already but you never know who may be out there. Not to mention the Fairfax Stars in a prestigious AAU organization and if you know anything about AAU you have to have try-outs to be affliated with AAU. Bet you didn't know that. You'll have your chance to get Coughlan's rep back and be considered a great Elite team on April 13-15...I can hardly wait. Because we can debate all day but it is what you do on the hardwood that matters.

Yes the Fairfax Stars have one big tryout. Yes, Fairfax has an idea about who they want already but you never know who may be out there. Not to mention the Fairfax Stars in a prestigious AAU organization and if you know anything about AAU you have to have try-outs to be affliated with AAU. Bet you didn't know that. You'll have your chance to get Coughlan's rep back and be considered a great Elite team on April 13-15...I can hardly wait. Because we can debate all day but it is what you do on the hardwood that matters.

Big Red. Let's say the 10 "best players" at your "big AAU tryout" are 5'6" shooting guards, and you're the coach selecting the "A" team. Are you keeping those 10 players? If you say "no" then you're being truthful. If you say "yes," then good luck with that team against one that has the full compliment of height, defenders, shooters, slashers, etc.

Not sure how Coughlan's team will fare at Boo, but it's extremely likely they won't lose any games by 50-70 points.

I got some games in this weekend at the Battle of the Capital. Nice facility. We need one in Baltimore.

Some observations from just walking around game to game.

Saw the 93 Waves against a team from Philly and they were getting hammered on the boards. They were down like 20 something late. I don't know how they did in their pool, maybe Mfrazer can help me out. I saw Akilah on the bench but I didn't see her on the court. How is that working out for them so far? The 93 Comets are a team to watch. I wish I could have seen more but there were other games I wanted to check out.

The Starz 16U has a nice backcourt shaping up. Hicks looked good running the point, making nice passes and the girl Janay Brinkley is solid. She might struggle against better comp since she's playing 2 ages up. I watched them beat Team Sol but they weren't that good. The post play was not great but they have coach Mcdonald from DH so he'll get the most out of them.

The 14's- There was a nice pool with MYBA, Team Sol and the Lady Lions in it. MYBA beat the Lady Lions, the Lions beat Sol and then Sol beat MYBA. MYBA surprised me. They're tough and have decent coaching but not much size.

The Lady Lions struggle with post play but the guards are good and Asia Logan has added that jumper to her game.

She looks very confident out there. The Starz were in a pool with the Lady Majic and the New York Elite. I watched the Lady Majic-Starz game and I was surprised the Starz were able to go toe to toe with them. They looked well prepared and those guards can fill it up. They handled the Majic pressure and the big girls they have held their own for a while. The Majic went up 20 in the 2nd half but they were able to cut it in half. The final was 67-54. Entertaining game.

The Cougars were in it as well. I thought it was the Columbia version but it was actually the other team. They have picked up some big bodies and they played pretty well against a New York team. One of the coaches told me they are playing in the Boo Williams too so I'm glad they are picking up the comp level for that team. They have them playing hard and they might make some noise. I wish I could have stayed to see who ended up winning.

I agree in that the Lady Majic tournament was very competitive and alot of teams have really improved and gotten much better. I must also recognize the Maryland Region with all of their very good U92 and U93 teams. That region seems to be loaded with very good U14 and U13 teams and it is going to be very interesting this summer. The Potomac Valley probable has the 2 best U14 teams in the country and the other teams in that region are very competitive also. It is good to see the Maryland Region and the Potomac Valley region playing against each more frequently. It is clear the Maryland Region is becoming a strong powerhouse and is really starting to battle the Potomac Valley region toe to toe. I think the MAG league has helped bring the regions together and has helped increase the level of competition and skill for everyone. The U14 super regional being hosted by the Cougars in 2 weeks is going to be a battle. The Lady Majic, Flames and Team Sol are coming down along with the Maryland Region teams like the Cougars, Comets, Lions, Stars, MYBA. It is going to be a very competitive and enjoyable summer of AAU ball!

[/b] The Maryland Hurricanes sound like a bunch of whiney brats! I would never recommend a girl go to your camp. From the 16U Couglan teams arrogant and obnoxious parents, the 16U Howell teams people, down to the sorry 14U program. You all exemplify what has gone wrong with AAU basketball. I don't know your girls, but I'm sure you wouldn't raise them to conduct themselves the way you guys do. I'm seeing posts suggesting that tryouts didn't occur on an AAU affiliated team. If it did or didn't doesn't matter. Keep your business in-house. Pick up a phone or meet man to man and settle your disputes. Personally, I'd like the board to be about ALL the organizations and how well the girls are doing. This is plain garbage and hater-ade.

The real reason the Philly Belles, Fairfax Stars, Boo Williams or Comets don't want anything to do with Coughlan, Howell or any other HURRICANE team is because YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!

You are all ACTING LIKE a bunch of IDIOTS!!!! Truth be told, take Green and Randolph away and none of you would matter. KEEP THE PEACE. STOP PUTTING YOUR BUSINESS OUT ON THE BALTIMORE SUN MESSAGE BOARD.

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TELL ANY OF YOU THIS.

[/b] The Maryland Hurricanes sound like a bunch of whiney brats! I would never recommend a girl go to your camp. From the 16U Couglan teams arrogant and obnoxious parents, the 16U Howell teams people, down to the sorry 14U program. You all exemplify what has gone wrong with AAU basketball. I don't know your girls, but I'm sure you wouldn't raise them to conduct themselves the way you guys do. I'm seeing posts suggesting that tryouts didn't occur on an AAU affiliated team. If it did or didn't doesn't matter. Keep your business in-house. Pick up a phone or meet man to man and settle your disputes. Personally, I'd like the board to be about ALL the organizations and how well the girls are doing. This is plain garbage and hater-ade.

The real reason the Philly Belles, Fairfax Stars, Boo Williams or Comets don't want anything to do with Coughlan, Howell or any other HURRICANE team is because YOU GUYS SUCK!!!!

You are all ACTING LIKE a bunch of IDIOTS!!!! Truth be told, take Green and Randolph away and none of you would matter. KEEP THE PEACE. STOP PUTTING YOUR BUSINESS OUT ON THE BALTIMORE SUN MESSAGE BOARD.

I SHOULDN'T HAVE TO TELL ANY OF YOU THIS.

Nice first post Crossover! What rock did you crawl out from under? Time to head back there. "You Guys Suck....Bunch of idiots....whiney brats....arrogant and obnoxious...." Then you have the audacity to tell the posters how to raise their children! Please!!

Bigred,

Did your daughter, neice, cousin or somebody you know get cut from Coughlans team? Because you sure seem to have a problem with them. First, how can you say it is what you do on the hardwood that matters, but still refuse to name the 4 TIME STATE AAU CHAMPIONS THE A TEAM in thier organization? Secondly, why do you keep trying to make it seem like Coughlan's team thinks they are an elite team, not one poster has said that yet. Fairfax, Boo, Philly Belles all actively recruit the best girls in their area as well as other places and should be an elite team. The majority of Coughlans team has been together for the past 4 years and they have grown into very good players. Some even good enough to be recruited by some of the above mentioned teams. Bet you did not know that?

And lastly, no matter how the Hurricanes Coughlan fares at Boo Williams they will still be the best team in the Baltimore Metro area until someone from thier beats them.

.All Akilah wants to do is WIN and improve her game .

I hope she wants to improve her game then worry about winning. That is if she wants to be an elite player in the country not just in the State. The Waves can enjoy her for now because if she focuses in on improving her game she will be playing for a national elite team next.

Nice first post Crossover! What rock did you crawl out from under? Time to head back there. "You Guys Suck....Bunch of idiots....whiney brats....arrogant and obnoxious...." Then you have the audacity to tell the posters how to raise their children! Please!!

The rock I crawled out from under was your Momma's tit!!!

And you damn right... I called 'em as I see 'em. And you my friend are king or should I say QUEEN of the arrogant, and obnoxious lilttle brats. I wouldn't begin to make suggestions about how you should raiser your kid. They're probably well beyond any help. You know where you can go and what you can do. :D

The rock I crawled out from under was your Momma's tit!!!

And you damn right... I called 'em as I see 'em. And you my friend are king or should I say QUEEN of the arrogant, and obnoxious lilttle brats. I wouldn't begin to make suggestions about how you should raiser your kid. They're probably well beyond any help. You know where you can go and what you can do. :D

No need responding to that. You've now shown the world what you are.

No need responding to that. You've now shown the world what you are.

B-BALL-FAN

You've just confirmed what I've been thinking the whole time reading your previous posts. You are an IDIOT. If there's "No need to respond to that.", that means you DON'T RESPOND!! And now you've also shown the world what you are... IDIOT! :D:D

Just like the rest of the Hurricane parents for being involved with scum like you. I would venture to say that the coaches are good people. The girls are probably wonderful. But, people like you posting your organizations business on message boards is the problem. You're probably the same guy that politics minutes for your daughter. Don't be a hypocrit. If you want a good reputation, don't go to a media website and post organization issues. Especially when it should be handled within the org. YOU MAKE EVERYONE LOOK BAD!!! :mad:

B-BALL-FAN

You've just confirmed what I've been thinking the whole time reading your previous posts. You are an IDIOT. If there's "No need to respond to that.", that means you DON'T RESPOND!! And now you've also shown the world what you are... IDIOT! :D:D

Just like the rest of the Hurricane parents for being involved with scum like you. I would venture to say that the coaches are good people. The girls are probably wonderful. But, people like you posting your organizations business on message boards is the problem. You're probably the same guy that politics minutes for your daughter. Don't be a hypocrit. If you want a good reputation, don't go to a media website and post organization issues. Especially when it should be handled within the org. YOU MAKE EVERYONE LOOK BAD!!! :mad:

In an attempt to temper the rhetoric just a bit, I would note that this conversation began because one poster mentioned that he'd heard the Hurricanes had a rough weekend at the Fairfax tournament.

I simply clarified what I understood to have occurred there, so that all who read this board would understand that the highly-reputable Hurricanes team (Coughlan) had actually played quite well and gone undefeated.

For the record, I am not a parent, coach or official with Coughlan's team -- just a basketball fan who has watched with great interest as these girls have developed to a place where many of them are likely to get outstanding college educations through scholarships. I think that's a great story and a credit to the parents and the coaches involved.

Oh, and can someone please order Crossover a large decaf?

Coughlan Hurricanes went 3-0 and looked very good.

Howell's Hurricanes were another story...they should be embarrassed about how they tried to fool the tournament organizers into believing they were the top Hurricanes team, then ended up completely overmatched.

bballscout -

If what you say is true about the successes of the girls within the org being a great story, then stay positive. This reads more like someone strongly affiliated with Coughlan's team. Not just a fan as you say you are. Posts like the one above are incendiary, divisive and result in negative commentary being exchanged in a public forum.

My point is simple. These lady athletes, coaches and parents have fostered a positive public image and reputation for their team, organization, and community. Every organization has internal conflict from the highest levels of government, corportate America, to the lowest levels including AAU Basketball organizations. I'm sure you know this. But, if you're a Hurricane, a Fairfax Star, a Philly Belle, or a Comet, you're an ambassador of your organization. You represent the kids, coaches, and parents. There's nothing worse than to see a girl with a horrible attitude wearing a Farifax Stars jersey. Similar to these posts about the Hurricane organization by ADULTS.

Thanks for the offer but, I'm on my 3rd cup of the black and strong this a.m.

B-BALL-FAN

Crossover, in only three posts to this message board you've made quite a name for yourself. I initiated this thread a couple of weeks ago just to spark some discussion on the AAU scene in the area. I enjoy watching all of the age groups and am simply a basketball fan who likes to see teams compete at a high level. This message board should be used for thoughtful discussion and debate about high school sports, not used as a vehicle for expression of hatred, jealousy and berating comments. Those things serve no useful purpose. With that, B-Ball-Fan is signing off for good. Hopefully any future discussion will be more civil.

B-BALL-FAN:

It needed to be said, so I said it. In the end, it seems as though you and I agree about negative commentary.

Good luck to you and your team/org this season.

I'm seeing posts suggesting that tryouts didn't occur on an AAU affiliated team. If it did or didn't doesn't matter. Keep your business in-house.

In no way did a mean to suggest Coughlan team was doing anything wrong by not having AAU tryouts. To my knowledge they are not participating in AAU this year anyway, therefore the rule would not apply to them. A previous poster stated that the Fairfax Stars don't have one big tryout and that is not true. Fairfax compete in AAU and they have to have try-outs. The bottom line is... if Coughlan wants to call his team the A team he needs to have one big try-out and select a team based on need and skill set. Until that occurs the other teams have just as much right to claim themselves as an A team , Gold team , or First team, especailly since nothing has been done to imply otherwise. If this is not done the mix-up could occur again. You can not tell me Nucci and Lilley are not on an A team.

I'm hoping this post will get everyone back on track of why we have such a vehicle to communicate and keep everyone informed of the great and positive accomplishments that all the players are doing... Just want to hopefully get the forum back to positive debatable chat about AAU basketball..

1.) Read the AAU handbook.. No where it states that you must have tryouts.. You can start a AAU team with $25 and bring your own hand-picked players and compete. Unless your organization or Holloway makes it a rule.. it isn't a rule in the AAU handbook.

2.) The Hurricane-Coughlan team is not a "Elite" team, it is a very competitive national team comprised of players that have proven they can compete on the national and maybe Elite circuit. Unitl someone in the Baltimore area dethrones them, respect their accomplishments (4 time defending District Champions).

3.) Nucci and Lilley are good players but that doesn't make their team an "A" claiber team. Last time I checked/watched, it takes 5 players to comprise a team. As stated earlier its the inability of the players around them to make them a "A" caliber team on the national circuit.

4.) Lets continue to follow each Baltimore teams success this season and please try to keep the message board a positive vehicle to promote the accomplishments of the team/players. They all work hard, but the lack of maturity displayed by the adults (and possible kids) who continue to take pop shots at each other is insane.

5.) We wish all the players success to go ahead to the next level.. Come back to their starting points and help some other young players get there.. This should be the goal..

thank you.... :)

Can somebody tell me how Lilly and Nucci's team did in fairfax? I don't care about the other stuff.

Can somebody tell me how Lilly and Nucci's team did in fairfax? I don't care about the other stuff.

Ahh! Everybody settled down a bit, Love is in the air. Hurricanes Rosemond 1st game lost badly to team from Roanoke I believe maybe 84- 52 if that, but Lilley missed game. Second game tied at half with Lesson Learned, but ended up losing by appx 15-20 after 10 straight turnovers. 3rd game Rosemond won by 30 something vs Vogues, and last they beat Fairfax stars team by 10-15, you can tell they are still getting to know each other. Love to all Granpa

By the way can anybody tell me what is up with the Hurricanes Howell teams uniforms? Is there anywhere I can send a few bucks to get some jerseys? I

I'm seeing posts suggesting that tryouts didn't occur on an AAU affiliated team. If it did or didn't doesn't matter. Keep your business in-house.

In no way did a mean to suggest Coughlan team was doing anything wrong by not having AAU tryouts. To my knowledge they are not participating in AAU this year anyway, therefore the rule would not apply to them. A previous poster stated that the Fairfax Stars don't have one big tryout and that is not true. Fairfax compete in AAU and they have to have try-outs. The bottom line is... if Coughlan wants to call his team the A team he needs to have one big try-out and select a team based on need and skill set. Until that occurs the other teams have just as much right to claim themselves as an A team , Gold team , or First team, especailly since nothing has been done to imply otherwise. If this is not done the mix-up could occur again. You can not tell me Nucci and Lilley are not on an A team.

Their team is in no way, shape or form an "A" Team. They are good high school players that are wasting away on that team.