Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

ATV users ALERT!!!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:04 PM

There are bills in the Senate of the General Assembly which will have an impact on all ATV users in our state.

One of the bills- Senate Bill 547- will require the use of "Protective Headgear" for ALL ATV users regardless of age and will even be applicable when the ATV's are used on PRIVATE PROPERTY!!!:

http://mlis.state.md.../sb/sb0547f.pdf

I find this to be an intrusuion on an individual's right's when they are on private property and will affect hunters, farmer's, and any ATV user that wants to operate one for any reason. Requiring the use of helmets on state property, while I personally disagree with it, is somewhat understandable but to dictate that ATV users MUST wear one even on private property is, to me, unacceptable. If an individual wants to wear a helmet they should by all means be permitted to do so but to mandate, even on private propertyand for any occasion, that ATV users wear a helmet at all times is something I find more than objectionable.

Another bill:

http://mlis.state.md.../sb/sb0547f.pdf

Senate Bill 548 requires everyone to obtain a certificate of training to be permitted to operate an ATV. While I am all for education and training the way this bill is set up is all wrong. For starters the bill calls for the Emergency Medical Services Board to be the agency controlling the training. How are they the correct agency for this task? IMHO, the DNR should be the agency overseeing this training. The issue of policing this certification is also quite vague.

Please consider these bills and if you find them objectionable contact the members of the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee and politely voice your opposition. If you don't let them know you object you may find yourself saddled with some laws you don't like.

The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee members can be found at:

http://www.msa.md.go...com/05judp.html
Just because you have no interest in politics
Doesn't mean they have no interest in you
Pericles 461 BC

#2 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 13 February 2009 - 03:37 PM

The hearing for these bills have been scheduled. They are going to be on March 3 at 1PM in The Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee Hearing Room.

If you don't fight this be prepared for what they dish out. I will be there and I don't even own an ATV. I just think that for them to require helmets on PRIVATE PROPERTY is going too far. This may also lead them to force other intrusive laws on us while on our own properties or elsewhere just because they got away with this one.
Pericles 461 BC

#3 alienrace

alienrace

Destroyer of Trolls and B.S.

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,575 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:20 PM

What ever happened? I think it definitely goes way to far, but that doesn't surprise me in Maryland, which is going beyond nannyism and approaching communism.
The time has come for a centrist political party. Rational Americans are not comfortable with extreme views to the left or to the right, and our current parties have no intentions of ever abandoning their ever increasing distance from sane, reasonable thinking.

#4 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 10 March 2009 - 08:39 PM

The hearings in the House were held Tuesday 3/3 on these bills and have yet to be voted on, but may be this week. If you object to them please call the members of the Environmental Matters Committee and politely voice your opposition. Their numbers can be found here

http://www.msa.md.go.../com/04env.html

The companion bills were heard in the Senate on Tuesday 3/10 and may also be voted on soon. The members of the Judicial Proceedings Committee will be voting on these bills and their numbers can be found here.

http://www.msa.md.go...com/05judp.html

The training bill would also control how you and your family operate ATV's on private property.
Pericles 461 BC

#5 Jim Sr2

Jim Sr2

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,015 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 11:01 AM

From a health standpoint, we need to be looking after our kids and this bill probably makes sense. But from a sense of freedom, not so much. If we approve the ATV's training bill, can a ban on how you and your family operate everything on private property be far behind? And at that point, will the government be legislating everything we do publicly or privately? :rolleyes: This is a very slippery slope. :eek:
Don't tell me the truth, just tell me the facts!

#6 Kevin

Kevin

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,395 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 02:36 PM

it's because insurance companies have a ton of clout.

silly. if some yahoo wants to kill himself on his atv, let him do it.

#7 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:13 PM

From a health standpoint, we need to be looking after our kids and this bill probably makes sense. But from a sense of freedom, not so much. If we approve the ATV's training bill, can a ban on how you and your family operate everything on private property be far behind? And at that point, will the government be legislating everything we do publicly or privately? :rolleyes: This is a very slippery slope. :eek:

That was basically the objection that was raised in testimony. It also included an absolute ban on any child under six being on an ATV for any reason, other than for a sanctioned event or training for a sanctioned event. If you had a two-up ATV and wanted to put your 5 1/2 year old child or grandchild on the back, even with a helmet, for an easy putt around the yard or to go to the mailbox this bill would have made that illegal.

The training bill was also going to depend on a third party to provide training centers. What if they went belly-up or changed their mind. Then we are stuck with a training requirement and no way to implement it. The centers should be state controlled like the motorcycle safety course.

As was said in testimony "It is a good idea wrapped in a bad package".
Pericles 461 BC

#8 Woodbuchr

Woodbuchr

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,899 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 08:22 PM

it's because insurance companies have a ton of clout.

silly. if some yahoo wants to kill himself on his atv, let him do it.

Actually the insurance companies had nothing to do with this. It was stirred up by Senator Jennie Forehand of Montgomery County.

http://www.msa.md.go...l/msa12166.html

One of the not so funny parts is that this was tried last year and ended up being a task force to study ATV use. Of the task force members, and I am pretty sure of these numbers but can easly verify, only 8 of 20 had ever been on an ATV. Yet here they were deciding what training and safety measures others should abide by.
Pericles 461 BC

#9 dogfish

dogfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 11:46 PM

It's for the chilren, if it saves one life...blah blah blah
Since 1999

#10 Poero1516

Poero1516

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 06:29 AM

bump the thread up.A bald man took a seat in a beauty shop. "How can I help you?" asked the stylist. "I went for a hair transplant," the guy explained, "but I couldn't stand the pain. If you can make my hair look like yours without causing me any discomfort, I'll pay you $5,000.""No problem," said the stylist, and he quickly shaved his head.--------------dvd copy,--------dvd ripper, ------------------dvd to ipod,----------------dvd ripper,-------------------dvd software,-----------

#11 dogfish

dogfish

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 15,374 posts

Posted 16 March 2009 - 10:55 PM

Other Forums I belong to catch this stuff quick

bump the thread up.A bald man took a seat in a beauty shop. "How can I help you?" asked the stylist. "I went for a hair transplant," the guy explained, "but I couldn't stand the pain. If you can make my hair look like yours without causing me any discomfort, I'll pay you $5,000.""No problem," said the stylist, and he quickly shaved his head.--------------dvd copy,--------dvd ripper, ------------------dvd to ipod,----------------dvd ripper,-------------------dvd software,-----------

Since 1999

#12 IndispensableDestiny

IndispensableDestiny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 23 March 2009 - 07:58 AM

As was said in testimony "It is a good idea wrapped in a bad package".

No, it's a bad idea wrapped in a bad package. I don't own an ATV, but I'll be the judge as to when and where on private property I should wear helmet. Roaring through the woods? Yes. Taking out the trash? No.