Photo
- - - - -

The official word on linking to blogs

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
31 replies to this topic

#1 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,618 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 04:59 PM

The word has come down from Talk Admin regarding linking to blogs.

If the posts by those users (and any other posters, for that matter) serve no purpose other than to link to their personal Web sites, then that is against the TOS ... .

If the posts are used to facilitate discussion on a specific topic on our talk forums (ex: "What do you think about the slots debate?") along with the link, then that's OK.

Please keep this in mind when posting. I hope this settles the issue.
Dieser Weg wird kein leichter sein; dieser Weg wird steinig und schwer.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#2 Guest_rurdy_*

Guest_rurdy_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:01 PM

Keep up the good work Baltimatt!

#3 yuca

yuca

Member?

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 21,551 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:16 PM

Excellent. It's a sensible policy. I hope that finally settles the issue. :)

#4 manofthecrowd

manofthecrowd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:39 PM

So it's ok to start multiple threads with topics that are specifically designed to drive people to your blog?
Maryland, you asked for it and you've gotten it. Martin O'Mussolini. Mussolini went by il duce, for Martin, I prefer el *****.

#5 George-WNEC

George-WNEC

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 14,356 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 05:40 PM

So it's ok to start multiple threads with topics that are specifically designed to drive people to your blog?

Under the guise of creating a discussion... But, the TA ruled, so beit...
15 This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief.

2 Timothy 4:3-4

"For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths."

GOD said Hello today, Did you Hear HIM!? :)

#6 manofthecrowd

manofthecrowd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:13 PM

Under the guise of creating a discussion... But, the TA ruled, so beit...

Ehh. I guess it's ok if you are on Matt's approved list.;)
Maryland, you asked for it and you've gotten it. Martin O'Mussolini. Mussolini went by il duce, for Martin, I prefer el *****.

#7 Norman

Norman

Go away you little gnat

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 42,082 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 06:35 PM

Looks like it’s open to a pretty wide interpretation.

#8 WV Orange & Black

WV Orange & Black

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,759 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 07:13 PM

Matt, if contacting Administration was your effort to solve this issue, thanks. I know everyone appreciates the effort on your part.

However, and you know there had to be one, this really has no “teeth” to whatsoever. If I want to start a blog and place on that blog, news articles from various local sources, knowing that they will be discussed on this forum, you can. Now, on that blog are AdSense “Pay-Per-Click” advertisements, which is exactly why you want the extra traffic from a busy forum like this.

As two members have been doing, they will insert a local story on their blog, come to this forum as a ruse to review additional “news” and post a link, which of course leads to their blog with the hope that a few visitors will click on the aforementioned ads. Under the second example, they have not violated the TOS.

The answer would have been, that they couldn’t direct traffic to their site if the issue or topic is being discussed anywhere on this forum. Where they have been posting their links are in threads that a discussion is already taking place.

Each and every member of this forum could and should begin a commercially supported blog, come here and find an issue, post a reply in that thread and say, oh by the way, follow this link for additional information on this topic and read what’s there. :rolleyes: Of course they don’t tell you it’s their personal, commercially supported blog site.

If they have additional information, post it. Don’t be sending people to your blog under some questionable pretense. Either that or send members to your blog only if there is absolutely no advertisement or “Pay-Per-Clicks” on it. The “blog” should not be advertisement supported in any way.

#9 Guest_bud_*

Guest_bud_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:15 PM

I have always linked my blog in my signature. Unlike this place, I don't engage in selective censorship. Considering this, I wonder how long before linking the No BS Zone becomes off limits.

#10 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,618 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:28 PM

Please recall that the Terms of Services prohibits user content that

advertises, promotes or offers to trade any goods or services, except in areas specifically designated for such purpose.

The intention is not to prohibit links to news blogs discussing current events. The moderators will remove any content that, in their opinion, violates this non-commercial aspect of the TOS.
Nicht mit vielen wirst du dir einig sein, doch dieses Leben bietet so viel mehr. --Xavier Naidoo

#11 Guest_bud_*

Guest_bud_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:34 PM

Please recall that the Terms of Services prohibits user content that

The intention is not to prohibit links to news blogs discussing current events. The moderators will remove any content that, in their opinion, violates this non-commercial aspect of the TOS.

no offense, the TOS should be renamed the arbitrary TOS.

#12 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,618 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:36 PM

Also, thank you for your comments, pro and con. Multiple threads on the same topic can be mergered, and threads in the wrong section can be moved. We try to keep the board moving smoothly without incurring the wrath of the Sun, which owns this board. Remember that we are all guests here and post with the consent of the Tribune Company.

#13 Baltimatt

Baltimatt

Site Moderator

• Super Moderator
  • PipPipPip
  • 67,618 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:38 PM

Well, bud, we often act on complaints. Also, sometimes so much is going on that we clamp down on stuff that might otherwise slide by. I've gotten hit from all sides for many of my decisions, but I try to do my best and be fair.

#14 Guest_bud_*

Guest_bud_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 February 2009 - 08:39 PM

Also, thank you for your comments, pro and con. Multiple threads on the same topic can be mergered, and threads in the wrong section can be moved. We try to keep the board moving smoothly without incurring the wrath of the Sun, which owns this board. Remember that we are all guests here and post with the consent of the Tribune Company.

I am not criticizing your actions, Matt. You have been around long enough to know the score here.

#15 beautifulboy33

beautifulboy33

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 441 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:05 PM

Matt;
Keep up the good work.
"If we fail to dare, if we do not try, the next generation will harvest the fruit of our indifference." RFK
"I have never met a man so ignorant that I couldn't learn something from him." Galileo Galilei

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."- Aristotle

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

#16 techbalt

techbalt

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,266 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:09 PM

Great work Matt.

"The intention is not to prohibit links to news blogs discussing current events. "

OUCH!!!!!!

I am laughing at certain posters right now! HAHAAHAHAHAHHAHA!!!!
www.BaltimoreHourly.com
Civil Disobedience in 2009

#17 manofthecrowd

manofthecrowd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:40 PM

Great work Matt.

"The intention is not to prohibit links to news blogs discussing current events. "

OUCH!!!!!!

I guess everybody deserves a win every once and a while. Good thing for the residents of Baltimore you didn't get that win in the form of an election.;)

#18 manofthecrowd

manofthecrowd

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,195 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

no offense, the TOS should be renamed the arbitrary TOS.

Exactly. Matt's favorites get free advertising. It's cool.;)

#19 Occam

Occam

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,100 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:22 PM

OUCH!!!!!!

That doens't mean trolling for clicks isn't a scumby practice. I'm sure you'll continue to do it, and you'll continue to be called on it.

#20 McDermott

McDermott

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 10 February 2009 - 10:28 PM

That doens't mean trolling for clicks isn't a scumby practice. I'm sure you'll continue to do it, and you'll continue to be called on it.

There's a fine line between marketing and "scumby practice". Some walk it better than others.

Now, if you'll click on this link to learn about real estate investing and converting debt into wealth...
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Recent articles from M.M. McDermott:
Talk to strangers
It came from the Internets: Furniture store promotes racial harmony
At least we’re not Cleveland: Redux
Rejoice, Baltimore. At least we’re not Cleveland.

Renegade Agency Confessional: An advertising blog.

Follow me on Twitter. You know, if you're into that kind of thing.