Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bronco

Jamie Moyer rips ARod.

22 posts in this topic

Jamie Moyer rips ex-Mariners teammate Alex Rodriguez

By McClatchy Newspapers and The Associated Press

CLEARWATER, Fla. — Shortly after joining the Philadelphia Phillies in August 2006, pitcher Jamie Moyer reminisced about playing on a Mariners team with infielder Alex Rodriguez.

Moyer told of how his two oldest sons, Dillon and Hutton, had idolized Rodriguez. He mentioned how much they liked visiting with Rodriguez in the Seattle clubhouse after games.

Those were the days Rodriguez appeared to be on his way to the Hall of Fame.

Now?

"I don't see how he has a chance," Moyer said of the New York Yankees' third baseman. "Who in their right mind would vote for anyone who got caught taking that stuff?"

Rodriguez last week became the biggest name in baseball to confess to using steroids. He said he used them from 2001 to 2003, after he signed a 10-year, $252 million contract with the Texas Rangers. Rodriguez's confession came after Sports Illustrated reported he was one of 104 players to test positive for performance-enhancing drugs during what was supposed to be an anonymous survey test in 2003.

Moyer said he was disappointed in Rodriguez.

"It's about respecting the game," Moyer said. "I'd be disappointed in anybody in that situation. When people have had an impact on your life, you want to feel for them. But how can I feel for him? To me, if you're doing it, you know it's illegal. I commend him for coming out and saying it, but why didn't he say it seven years ago?"

Rodriguez, 33, has hit 553 home runs and won three most valuable player awards.

Tainted numbers?

"Of course they are," the 46-year-old Moyer said. "This changes everything — the way people look at him, the way people act toward him. It's a shame. What does he have to play for now?"

Moyer played in Seattle from 1996 to 2006. A-Rod was a teammate from 1996 to 2000. Rodriguez said he did not use steroids before going to Texas in 2001.

"Who's going to believe him?" Moyer said. "What credibility does he have now?"

Notes

Saw this yesturday. Ouch! lol Nice to see someone speak out with some passion on the subject.

Moyer is probably in prayer at the moment hoping and praying his name doesn't surface.

Also ARod will hold a press conference today at 1:30PM.

A tough day for ARod.

Saw this yesturday. Ouch! lol Nice to see someone speak out with some passion on the subject.

Moyer is probably in prayer at the moment hoping and praying his name doesn't surface.

If Jamie's name would surface I would really be shocked. His fastball is only about 82mph.

What does he has to place for Jamie? Millions of dollars, a ring, maybe he still even enjoys baseball some?

I'm not happy with him and think its horrible he cheated, but its not the end of the world.

I'm afraid I have to agee with Moyer. Arod's numbers are tainted. Certainly he is a good ballplayer, so was Bonds, but just how good? We'll never really know for sure. After presonally seeing Clemente play and Mays and Aaron and Frank Robinson I really wonder what numbers guys like Arod and Bonds would have actually put up. it's just a shame.

Rodriguez, 33, has hit 553 home runs and won three most valuable player awards.

Tainted numbers?

"Of course they are," the 46-year-old Moyer said. "This changes everything — the way people look at him, the way people act toward him. It's a shame. What does he have to play for now?"

About $30 Mill a year.

how's a 400 year old junkballer stay in the game forever?

scuff the ball much? nahh.....

I'm afraid I have to agee with Moyer. Arod's numbers are tainted. Certainly he is a good ballplayer, so was Bonds, but just how good? We'll never really know for sure. After presonally seeing Clemente play and Mays and Aaron and Frank Robinson I really wonder what numbers guys like Arod and Bonds would have actually put up. it's just a shame.

how can you even watch modern baseball if you saw those guys play?

He continues to watch just like everyone else.

The love of the sport even with it's shortcomings.

He continues to watch just like everyone else.

The love of the sport even with it's shortcomings.

I agree. It's not like the old days (In my case, I am referring to the late 60s to early 80s) but I still watch and attend a few games. I am not into it like I was then, but I still keep up with the "goings-ons" at the yard.

Thank you. My sentiments exactly. And that's why I DON'T watch the game.

I love baseball. Simple as that. Yes, I loved watching guys like Kaline and Yastremski come into Memorial Stadium, and I wish I could have seen more of Clemente. I was at that 7th game against the Pirates when Clemente hit one over the CF wall. He seemed like such a thin small guy, but what a ballplayer. He didn't need to bulk up on steroids, and was a delight to watch.

Bonds and Rodriguez were going to be great ballplayers w/o the juice. It's just a shame they caved to the pressure. I often wonder in Bonds' case if it was his young introduction to Mays and the need to measure up to that. I don't know, but hopefully the lesson here is once you've chosen that path, everything you do from that point on is now suspect.

Do I feel for Rodriguez? To an extent. I'd much rather have seen him say. "You know what guys? In 2001-2003 I did something that shamed the great game of baseball. Something I did out of stupidity and ignorance. As a result I am donating my salary from two of those years towards helping young players avoid the same pitfalls with exntensive drug prevention programs, and advocating more stringent punishments for all players testing positive in the future." He said neithier of those. Bascially, he stated his cousin and him experimented for THREE years, and only came clean AFTER the story broke. THe first question was quite revealing today - would you have come forward if Sports illustrated hadn't run the story? His answer - I haven't given that much thought.

C'mon, baseball deserves better than that.

I love baseball. Simple as that. Yes, I loved watching guys like Kaline and Yastremski come into Memorial Stadium, and I wish I could have seen more of Clemente. I was at that 7th game against the Pirates when Clemente hit one over the CF wall. He seemed like such a thin small guy, but what a ballplayer. He didn't need to bulk up on steroids, and was a delight to watch.

Bonds and Rodriguez were going to be great ballplayers w/o the juice. It's just a shame they caved to the pressure. I often wonder in Bonds' case if it was his young introduction to Mays and the need to measure up to that. I don't know, but hopefully the lesson here is once you've chosen that path, everything you do from that point on is now suspect.

Do I feel for Rodriguez? To an extent. I'd much rather have seen him say. "You know what guys? In 2001-2003 I did something that shamed the great game of baseball. Something I did out of stupidity and ignorance. As a result I am donating my salary from two of those years towards helping young players avoid the same pitfalls with exntensive drug prevention programs, and advocating more stringent punishments for all players testing positive in the future." He said neithier of those. Bascially, he stated his cousin and him experimented for THREE years, and only came clean AFTER the story broke. THe first question was quite revealing today - would you have come forward if Sports illustrated hadn't run the story? His answer - I haven't given that much thought.

the donation is a great idea that will never happen.

so, i'm curious, do any of the guys playing now remind you of the guys like yaz, kaline, robinson, etc.? it helps a little to think of baseball when it at least seemed more pure.

Thank you. My sentiments exactly. And that's why I DON'T watch the game.

Then Why are you posting on a baseball board? If you don't watch it, your not current, you don;t know today's players etc.

I guess maybe you "read" baseball? :(

Or better yet, he can donate the money he gets to pass all-time home run hitters. More realistic to ask for 6million.

Then Why are you posting on a baseball board? If you don't watch it, your not current, you don;t know today's players etc.

I guess maybe you "read" baseball? :(

Yep, that's about what I do. I "read" it. That's the most I can stand and it's usually just out of being conditioned to reading the sports page every day. I'm current enough...let's put it that way. But my love for the game died a long time ago.

Yep, that's about what I do. I "read" it. That's the most I can stand and it's usually just out of being conditioned to reading the sports page every day. I'm current enough...let's put it that way. But my love for the game died a long time ago.

I am sorry that you can no longer love the game. Baseball is in my blood. I LITERALLY have no choice.

What killed it for you, the strike?

If Jamie's name would surface I would really be shocked. His fastball is only about 82mph.

Jamie Moyer is an old school guy. I share his disdain for the present day "its all about the money" players. Just take me back to the old days.

I am sorry that you can no longer love the game. Baseball is in my blood. I LITERALLY have no choice.

What killed it for you, the strike?

Most people think it was the strike when I tell them that but no, it wasn't. Personally, I could care less how much these guys make- more power to them. What ruined it for me was the absolutely, preposterous offensive statistics that destroyed the balance of the sport starting in the mid 90's. If it had been for a year or two, I would have accepted it. Every now and then, you will have these strange years where either offense or pitching dominate.('68 was a perfect example of pitching completely out of hand) But this has been going on for over a 10 year period and considering that attendence continues to remain strong every year, it's obvious that this is what the fans what to see. Not me. I just don't have the time and patience to be subjected to these 3 1/2 hour slug fests every night. I'm tired of hearing about "innings eaters" instead of good pitchers, of 4.00 E.R.A.'s being considered respectable now, of pitchers incapable of going 9 innings anymore, etc...I could go on and on. Maybe I'm just an old fart that isn't willing to accept the changes that's occurred. Either way, that's what killed it for me. Sorry for the rant. :)