Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

The dubious Baltimore Catholic League Awards

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
48 replies to this topic

#1 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:02 AM

Coach of the Year: My vote goes to the rookie coach who went undefeated in a very competitive league (Mark Karcher). Instead, the guy he beat twice, once in triple-overtime, got the nod.

Player of the Year: My vote goes to the senior leader of that undefeated team (Terrell Vincent). Instead, a junior from the BCL commissioner's alma mater got the nod.

1st team???, 2nd team???, honorable mention???: The floor general of that undefeated team earned zero recognition (RJ Williams).

The Old Boys Network of the BCL still stinks.

#2 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 12:09 PM

Coach of the Year: My vote goes to the rookie coach who went undefeated in a very competitive league (Mark Karcher). Instead, the guy he beat twice, once in triple-overtime, got the nod.

Player of the Year: My vote goes to the senior leader of that undefeated team (Terrell Vincent). Instead, a junior from the BCL commissioner's alma mater got the nod.

1st team???, 2nd team???, honorable mention???: The floor general of that undefeated team earned zero recognition (RJ Williams).

The Old Boys Network of the BCL still stinks.

And the St Frances fans still whine. I guess somethings never change.

#3 GREYHOUND ALUM

GREYHOUND ALUM

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,729 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 02:52 PM

And the St Frances fans still whine. I guess somethings never change.

I am not a St. Frances fan or hater but I have to agree with him here especially on the POY. How can the leading scorer on the undefeated team in league play not win over a tplayer on a team with 12 losses?

#4 chc09

chc09

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:38 PM

Karcher is hardly a rookie coach. He has been patrolling the sidelines acting as the head coach with an assistant coach's title for a few years now. However arguments can be made for both him and Bauersfeld.

I'll probably have to agree on Vinson over Atkins. Vinson is on the best team, who is undefeated, he is the best player, and he is a senior. This award will be Atkins' to lose next year, but for this year it should've gone to the senior.

In terms of snubs, clearly RJ Williams should be somewhere on that list as you said. Even though he was an honorable mention I thought Kyle Wise couldve sneaked onto the 2nd team. He is averaging close to 9 assists per game and is leading the state in that category.

#5 lions08

lions08

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 03:47 PM

Even though he was an honorable mention I thought Kyle Wise couldve sneaked onto the 2nd team. He is averaging close to 9 assists per game and is leading the state in that category.

Leading the state?!?? Where exactly do you get your statistics?

#6 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 04:08 PM

I am not a St. Frances fan or hater but I have to agree with him here especially on the POY. How can the leading scorer on the undefeated team in league play not win over a tplayer on a team with 12 losses?

Easy. When a player is averaging 24 ppg during league play and kept his team competitive. St Joe would've been a 3 or 4 win team in the league if not for Atkins.

Now to be fair, I'm surprised Atkins won the award also. I think maybe Co-POY should have been awarded for Atkins and Vinson. It happened a few years ago when Ricky Harris and Brian Johnson shared the award.

#7 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:37 PM

Mosley shared the POY award last year with Henry Sims even though Mosley received one more vote. The BCL commissioner Jack Degele (MSJ grad) said the vote was so close that he just had to have the two should share it. (He's so kind.)

As for the whining comment ... am I not entitled to voice my displeasure when the team & student-athletes I root for get snubbed?

The only way for the Panthers to counter this 0 for 3 (COY, POY, RJ snub) is to go 3 and 0 in the BCL tournament.

#8 mdsoccer8

mdsoccer8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 05:54 PM

Right or wrong I dont think the coaches wanted to vote for a player who was a conversational transfer for one year

#9 chc09

chc09

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:08 PM

Leading the state?!?? Where exactly do you get your statistics?

According to one of the managers of the basketball team at Calvert Hall who keeps the stats. He could be wrong I guess but it wouldnt surprise me if he was top 5 at least.

#10 DJGreg1200

DJGreg1200

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,485 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 06:19 PM

Mosley shared the POY award last year with Henry Sims even though Mosley received one more vote. The BCL commissioner Jack Degele (MSJ grad) said the vote was so close that he just had to have the two should share it. (He's so kind.)

As for the whining comment ... am I not entitled to voice my displeasure when the team & student-athletes I root for get snubbed?

The only way for the Panthers to counter this 0 for 3 (COY, POY, RJ snub) is to go 3 and 0 in the BCL tournament.

Is there a way you can confirm the "one more vote" accusation. Also, Calvert Hall won 5 league game last year and finsihed in 6th place. This year they won 12 league games and finished second. They have improved by leaps and bounds over last year. Coach of the Year should go to the team who shows the most improvement.

#11 REEDDOLLAZ

REEDDOLLAZ

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:13 PM

It's pretty important to mention that the top two teams received two top transfers...

anyways, I agree RJ should have been at least honorable mention, and possibly even second team. He's a great point guard, and only second to Eric (who many consider to be a combo).

I think Levi Noel should NOT have been second team, and quite frankly Nic Martin in my opinion should have replaced him. Sure Goretti didn't win any games but he averaged close to 16.

As for COY, Bauersfeld earned it. Just like Cheevers did a couple years back when he took Gibbons from worst to a playoff spot.

#12 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:32 PM

Calvert Hall won 5 league game last year and finsihed in 6th place. This year they won 12 league games and finished second. They have improved by leaps and bounds over last year. Coach of the Year should go to the team who shows the most improvement.

Good point regarding CH's improvement.

As for the "one more vote" ask a BCL coach or the commish.

#13 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:35 PM

Nevertheless, CH's Bauersfeld did blow a 10-point lead with 2 minutes to go against SFA's Karcher in the 3OT game.

#14 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:41 PM

Right or wrong I dont think the coaches wanted to vote for a player who was a conversational transfer for one year

Controversial? Good student who was deeply unhappy with his former high school and wanted a change. How is the Vinson transfer controversial?

Excuse my paranoia with this question: Would it be considered controversial if he transfered to a school other than SFA?

#15 White Tee

White Tee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:44 PM

Nevertheless, CH's Bauersfeld did blow a 10-point lead with 2 minutes to go against SFA's Karcher in the 3OT game.

How is this a sign of bad coaching? How is it a sign of good coaching? Your argument is almost made here for CH coach. He was up ten against a superior opponent. Sounds like good coaching to me. You know, I'm fairly convinced that Karcher could've gotten COY, Vinson POY, all four starters named to 1st team, and SFA would be crying about the snub for DPOY! Never, never quit SFA, never, never.

#16 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:48 PM

Karcher is hardly a rookie coach. He has been patrolling the sidelines acting as the head coach with an assistant coach's title for a few years now.

Prior to last year Karcher was playing pro ball internationally. So he has less than 2 years coaching time at SFA.

#17 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 09:56 PM

How is this a sign of bad coaching? How is it a sign of good coaching? Your argument is almost made here for CH coach. He was up ten against a superior opponent. Sounds like good coaching to me. You know, I'm fairly convinced that Karcher could've gotten COY, Vinson POY, all four starters named to 1st team, and SFA would be crying about the snub for DPOY! Never, never quit SFA, never, never.

Yikes!!! Somebody's got some hatred toward SFA.

#18 White Tee

White Tee

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:16 PM

Yikes!!! Somebody's got some hatred toward SFA.

Actually, I love SFA and am a big supporter of the school and its mission. The teams have always conducted itself with class. I have never really enjoyed the whining adults connected to both basketball programs (actually saw a father on the girls team taunt the opposing coaches walking into halftime) who lose perspective on what is truly important going on at that school - and it ain't basketball. I have never been a big fan of adults screaming about injustice over a kids' game. I don't buy into a culture of victimization for a school that is supposed to be about empowerment. Teach the young men and women to be strong and handle adversity - not whine every time you feel you've been slighted and hide behind "the old boys network" speech. I also love how the one vote theory, which I am sure was shared in confidence, is now being blown all over the message boards a year later. This is the same crying that went on when the team didn't get invited to the Alhambra after they had won the BCL tournament (and they did not deserve to go - they had an average record that year with a great run at the end). Scream injustice, pull the race card, and everyone should duck!

#19 mdsoccer8

mdsoccer8

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 February 2009 - 10:56 PM

conversational not in the kid its self but the fact that a lot of people didnt think it should be allowed, because they used the fact that he was "living" at Montrose as a loop hole to get around the rule the transfer rule

#20 fonanetta

fonanetta

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 February 2009 - 12:56 AM

mdsoccer8,
He was living at Montrose. No need for a loop hole.

white tee,
I'm sure a friend could help you find a good anger management therapist.