Recent headlines from The Baltimore Sun

Photo
- - - - -

"Beetle Juice" may explode soon

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
110 replies to this topic

#1 Ingus

Ingus

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 454 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:47 PM

That red star that marks Orion the hunters shoulder may explode in a type II supernova at any time.

Betelgeuse would become an intense white dot as bright as the full moon. It would not be safe to look at and it would turn the night sky blue.

It would not destroy our world but it could influence mutations and change the course of evolution.

Feb Astronomy

#2 SouthnMdFan

SouthnMdFan

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:51 PM

That red star that marks Orion the hunters shoulder may explode in a type II supernova at any time.

Betelgeuse would become an intense white dot as bright as the full moon. It would not be safe to look at and it would turn the night sky blue.

It would not destroy our world but it could influence mutations and change the course of evolution.

Feb Astronomy

"Any time"...at what sort of window of time are we looking?

#3 superdave

superdave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:52 PM

Betelgeuse
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The official drink of the Obama White House

#4 superdave

superdave

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:54 PM

2012. It's the end of the world as we know it.....and I feel fine.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]The official drink of the Obama White House

#5 Realistic767

Realistic767

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 27,186 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:55 PM

He's still alive?

The little guy from the Stern show?
He that lives upon HOPE will die fasting.
-- Ben Franklin

#6 IndispensableDestiny

IndispensableDestiny

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,667 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:57 PM

You mean any time in the last 600 years -- or next thousand or so.

#7 FatBoy

FatBoy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 13,693 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 09:58 PM

Ingus,

A link would be helpful.
If we are here to help others, I often wonder what the others are here for. - Sir Thomas Robert Dewar

#8 dembo

dembo

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,999 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:05 PM

Dangit! I knew Obama would mess everything up!!
He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. Jim Elliot

#9 Derf

Derf

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,340 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 10:20 PM

It will be Bush's fault.

#10 CoyoteJack

CoyoteJack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:35 PM

Beetlejuice is a super red giant star already. It is in the later stages of it life. Because of its size it will probably go nova or better. As to when? I haven't seen any articles saying when. Technically it may have already and the event hasn't reached us yet. It is about 520 million light years away.

It has been rumored for years as the next star likely to pop.
"Some people are like Slinkys, good for nothing yet they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Unknown.

#11 cprenegade

cprenegade

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 17,347 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:44 PM

In astronomical terms anytime can mean sometime in the next 100,000 years!
You can choose a ready guide in some celestial voice.
If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.
You can choose from phantom fears and kindness that can kill;
I will choose a path that's clear
I will choose freewill.

#12 Kemmer

Kemmer

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 22,725 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:57 PM

Beetlejuice is a super red giant star already. It is in the later stages of it life. Because of its size it will probably go nova or better. As to when? I haven't seen any articles saying when. Technically it may have already and the event hasn't reached us yet. It is about 520 million light years away.

The next star WE KNOW OF likely to pop. The universe is a pretty big place, so even as we speak...

It'd be kewl if it popped soon. I waited decades to see Hailey's Comet, and, well, this time around its performance was less than spectacular. (One of my life's greatest disappointments, in fact.)

Not sure there'd be any danger of retina burn from looking at a Super-nova from Earth. That doesn't sound right... but I can get a welder's glass. :)

Edit: It'd be kewl if it popped 520 million years ago. (We Earthlings can be so parochial.)
Life is not a zero-sum game.

#13 Gaberax

Gaberax

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:58 PM

Let'er rip!

#14 genghiskhanraven

genghiskhanraven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,497 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 11:59 PM

this gives a good visual of the size of Betelgeuse.

http://www.rense.com...eral72/size.htm

its so massive it would take 8 quadrillion earths to fill up.

i wonder how many days it took God to create Betelgeuse?

#15 Kevin

Kevin

Suspended

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 50,395 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 12:12 AM

probably a long time.....he probably put some thought into THAT project.....more than a week, at least!;)

#16 Wizard777

Wizard777

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60,146 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:22 AM

Do the math. If it's 520 million light years away. It'll take 520 million years for the light and gamma radation from it to reach us. It will take 5 billion 200 million years for any debris to reach us. Unless of course it implodes instead. Then it'll become a black hole.
Support The Personal Use of Marijuana by Responsible Adults Act of 2008 !
Marijuana Policy Project
We too have a dream. A dream in which we are judged by what we do instead of what we smoke. A dream in which we are not at "war" with a Government we would rather serve than fight. Everyone need somewhere to belong

#17 EastonRaven

EastonRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 04:58 AM

Here and all this time I thought it was Britney Spears :D

#18 EastonRaven

EastonRaven

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,726 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:01 AM

In astronomical terms anytime can mean sometime in the next 100,000 years!

Exactly what I was thinking. Soon is a relative term in astronomy. Could mean it happened already or not for millenia after our time.

#19 Atlas

Atlas

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,304 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 05:26 AM

It may be massive in terms of size, but not density. A red giant star is only a stage in the star's life cycle and is not the star's original size. Our own sun will one day become a red giant engulfing the earth.

Red stars can not super nova in the same way a blue star does since they do not have enough mass. They will shead their outter surface, but they can not implode like a blue giant star does.

The most massive stars are blue giants, and they are very unstable. They rotate so fast because they are so massive that they are on the verge of flying apart. When the star's core becomes full of iron and runs out of fuel, and since iron can not be fused, it's core collapses under its own gravity and it implodes becoming a super nova very likely leaving behind a stellar black hole in its place.

#20 CoyoteJack

CoyoteJack

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,278 posts

Posted 21 February 2009 - 09:55 AM

It may be massive in terms of size, but not density. A red giant star is only a stage in the star's life cycle and is not the star's original size. Our own sun will one day become a red giant engulfing the earth.

Red stars can not super nova in the same way a blue star does since they do not have enough mass. They will shead their outter surface, but they can not implode like a blue giant star does.

The most massive stars are blue giants, and they are very unstable. They rotate so fast because they are so massive that they are on the verge of flying apart. When the star's core becomes full of iron and runs out of fuel, and since iron can not be fused, it's core collapses under its own gravity and it implodes becoming a super nova very likely leaving behind a stellar black hole in its place.

It is true that it is less dense but it is still much more massive than our own sun will ever be even a red giant.

Also I misspoke earlier, it is about 520 light years away not millions. Yes I know that was a rather large error :)

Still Beetlejuice is likely too far away to have serious effects on earth cause by its demise. It would still be an amazing this to see the results of though.

And Wiz, if it happen 500 years ago I might still get to see it.
"Some people are like Slinkys, good for nothing yet they still bring a smile to your face when pushed down the stairs." - Unknown.