Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ingus

"Beetle Juice" may explode soon

112 posts in this topic

That red star that marks Orion the hunters shoulder may explode in a type II supernova at any time.

Betelgeuse would become an intense white dot as bright as the full moon. It would not be safe to look at and it would turn the night sky blue.

It would not destroy our world but it could influence mutations and change the course of evolution.

Feb Astronomy

That red star that marks Orion the hunters shoulder may explode in a type II supernova at any time.

Betelgeuse would become an intense white dot as bright as the full moon. It would not be safe to look at and it would turn the night sky blue.

It would not destroy our world but it could influence mutations and change the course of evolution.

Feb Astronomy

"Any time"...at what sort of window of time are we looking?

Beetlejuice is a super red giant star already. It is in the later stages of it life. Because of its size it will probably go nova or better. As to when? I haven't seen any articles saying when. Technically it may have already and the event hasn't reached us yet. It is about 520 million light years away.

It has been rumored for years as the next star likely to pop.

Beetlejuice is a super red giant star already. It is in the later stages of it life. Because of its size it will probably go nova or better. As to when? I haven't seen any articles saying when. Technically it may have already and the event hasn't reached us yet. It is about 520 million light years away.

The next star WE KNOW OF likely to pop. The universe is a pretty big place, so even as we speak...

It'd be kewl if it popped soon. I waited decades to see Hailey's Comet, and, well, this time around its performance was less than spectacular. (One of my life's greatest disappointments, in fact.)

Not sure there'd be any danger of retina burn from looking at a Super-nova from Earth. That doesn't sound right... but I can get a welder's glass. :)

Edit: It'd be kewl if it popped 520 million years ago. (We Earthlings can be so parochial.)

Do the math. If it's 520 million light years away. It'll take 520 million years for the light and gamma radation from it to reach us. It will take 5 billion 200 million years for any debris to reach us. Unless of course it implodes instead. Then it'll become a black hole.

Here and all this time I thought it was Britney Spears :D

this gives a good visual of the size of Betelgeuse.

http://www.rense.com/general72/size.htm

its so massive it would take 8 quadrillion earths to fill up.

i wonder how many days it took God to create Betelgeuse?

It may be massive in terms of size, but not density. A red giant star is only a stage in the star's life cycle and is not the star's original size. Our own sun will one day become a red giant engulfing the earth.

Red stars can not super nova in the same way a blue star does since they do not have enough mass. They will shead their outter surface, but they can not implode like a blue giant star does.

The most massive stars are blue giants, and they are very unstable. They rotate so fast because they are so massive that they are on the verge of flying apart. When the star's core becomes full of iron and runs out of fuel, and since iron can not be fused, it's core collapses under its own gravity and it implodes becoming a super nova very likely leaving behind a stellar black hole in its place.

It may be massive in terms of size, but not density. A red giant star is only a stage in the star's life cycle and is not the star's original size. Our own sun will one day become a red giant engulfing the earth.

Red stars can not super nova in the same way a blue star does since they do not have enough mass. They will shead their outter surface, but they can not implode like a blue giant star does.

The most massive stars are blue giants, and they are very unstable. They rotate so fast because they are so massive that they are on the verge of flying apart. When the star's core becomes full of iron and runs out of fuel, and since iron can not be fused, it's core collapses under its own gravity and it implodes becoming a super nova very likely leaving behind a stellar black hole in its place.

It is true that it is less dense but it is still much more massive than our own sun will ever be even a red giant.

Also I misspoke earlier, it is about 520 light years away not millions. Yes I know that was a rather large error :)

Still Beetlejuice is likely too far away to have serious effects on earth cause by its demise. It would still be an amazing this to see the results of though.

And Wiz, if it happen 500 years ago I might still get to see it.

excellent stuff, my astronomy club has been studying this too. With Betelgeuse

being in human eye vision, this event would be like seeing a midnight sun when it does go Nova.

What generation of humans will see it? who knows.

Schaefer said that even if Betelgeuse became a supernova, it would be too far away to do us any actual harm.

By the way, if our sun went supernova, just the blast wave would destroy Earth. The nearest star to our sun, Alpha Centauri, is not likely to become a supernova. But if a star at that distance did go supernova, there would be very heavy damage here on Earth.

How close could Earth be to a supernova, without suffering damage? Schaefer said that people argue back and forth about this (there are many unknown effects that go into these sorts of calculations), but, he said, a typical figure might be 100 light years away.

http://www.earthsky.org/radioshows/48792/betelgeuse-could-become-supernova

It is true that it is less dense but it is still much more massive than our own sun will ever be even a red giant.

Also I misspoke earlier, it is about 520 light years away not millions. Yes I know that was a rather large error :)

Still Beetlejuice is likely too far away to have serious effects on earth cause by its demise. It would still be an amazing this to see the results of though.

And Wiz, if it happen 500 years ago I might still get to see it.

I was getting ready to say not if Einstein was right. But I caught your mea culpa. A zero is a whole lot of nothing. Until you put it behind a number. Then it become O' so much more than that. Pun intended. ;)

Feb Astronomy

Dude...did you know that if Beetlejuice exploded, it would take as many as 20 years for the explosion to become visible...